Not enough material

oreodontist

I was working at my desk this morning and turned on the TV. Seven stations, including both Canadian news stations, had live coverage of some drug hearings in baseball.

Why? Because it matters? there is a growing trend over the last decade with the proliferation of 24 hour news stations to 'fill the space' with anything. Non-news takes on importance. It can be the story above, ad nauseum coverage of some celebrity or the mintutia of a murder case of 'who cares' thousands of miles away.

There is air space so it must be filled. Journalism is either dead or on life support. Nope, nothing on Afghanistan...what Parliament in Ottawa...the Space Station...nope....2 hours of baseball talk about some non-story that only becomes a story because it's covered....including on Canadian stations.

We've entered a 'bizarro' world. Marshal Macluhen was spot on when he said 'the media is the message' and the media has reached absurd proportions.

I was working at my desk this morning and turned on the TV. Seven stations, including both Canadian news stations, had live coverage of some drug hearings in baseball.

Why? Because it matters? there is a growing trend over the last decade with the proliferation of 24 hour news stations to 'fill the space' with anything. Non-news takes on importance. It can be the story above, ad nauseum coverage of some celebrity or the mintutia of a murder case of 'who cares' thousands of miles away.

There is air space so it must be filled. Journalism is either dead or on life support. Nope, nothing on Afghanistan...what Parliament in Ottawa...the Space Station...nope....2 hours of baseball talk about some non-story that only becomes a story because it's covered....including on Canadian stations.

We've entered a 'bizarro' world. Marshal Macluhen was spot on when he said 'the media is the message' and the media has reached absurd proportions.

Might not be on live if it were not for the LOVE everyone has for Roger Clemens, and the fact that everyone except his wife mother and agent want to see him in a cell with Barry Bonds .

Talk about credibility issues for Clements and the trainer.

Journalism is either dead or on life support. Nope, nothing on Afghanistan...what Parliament in Ottawa...the Space Station...nope....2 hours of baseball talk about some non-story that only becomes a story because it's covered....including on Canadian stations.

I guess it is due to the reality that the salary of being a silly story "writer" is "up" than being a journalist risking life in the battlefield of Afghanistan.