Squad Will remove Foot From Mouth By Numbers, Squad One...

M.Dancer

U.S. Defence Secretary Robert Gates lauded NATO's mission in Afghanistan and heaped praise on Canada and other members of the alliance in a bid to stem the controversy he sparked with critical comments about the allies' ability to fight a counterinsurgency war against the Taliban.

Mr. Gates told the Los Angeles Times in an interview published Wednesday that Canadian, Dutch and British troops are ill-suited for the fierce counterinsurgency war they are waging in southern Afghanistan, setting off international anger and a full-blown, damage-control exercise by the Pentagon.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...fghanistan/home

Whether or not his criticism are valid, some conversations should be behind closed doors.

No I advocate that operational reviews are classified.

So, you advocate governments keeping our enemies up to speed?

No, of course not - but I think it's refreshing when words of truth (no matter how ugly) come pouring from their mouths - lets folk see what kind of persons actually hold reigns of power.

As usual you are spinning...don't you get dizzy???

No, of course not - but I think it's refreshing when words of truth (no matter how ugly) come pouring from their mouths - lets folk see what kind of persons actually hold reigns of power.

As usual you are spinning...don't you get dizzy???

Not in the least. I happen to think Gates is a fool.

Gates is obviously a fool. Did he honestly think he would bolster support by claiming everyone else is incompetent. That was a rhetorical question by the way.

Besides, I do think he could be wrong. Anyone who would claim the Brits are incompetent obviously doesn't know what they are talking about. Not to mention the fact that our RCR boys made major inroads in Afghanistan whilst there, a remarkable achievement given their numbers. Or the record sniper shot being set by a Canadian.

The guy should be removed from his position ASAP slagging your allies is no way to gain support or further help in the future.

It could be mentioned that he didn't use the word incompetent but I do believe his meaning was pretty well crystal clear.

Gates is obviously a fool. Did he honestly think he would bolster support by claiming everyone else is incompetent. That was a rhetorical question by the way.

Besides, I do think he could be wrong. Anyone who would claim the Brits are incompetent obviously doesn't know what they are talking about. Not to mention the fact that our RCR boys made major inroads in Afghanistan whilst there, a remarkable achievement given their numbers. Or the record sniper shot being set by a Canadian.

The guy should be removed from his position ASAP slagging your allies is no way to gain support or further help in the future.

It could be mentioned that he didn't use the word incompetent but I do believe his meaning was pretty well crystal clear.

World of difference between "incompetent" and "ill-suited for a purpose." But hey - don't let that get in the way of your inferiority complex. "By jingo we'll get 'im for those remarks!!!"

M. Dancer is more correct here - the problem is that weaknesses are bgeing announced publicly, not that Gates is worrying about the suitability of other NATO forces in Afghanistan.

Edited by Sulaco

World of difference between "incompetent" and "ill-suited for a purpose." But hey - don't let that get in the way of your inferiority complex. "By jingo we'll get 'im for those remarks!!!"

I guess you didn't read my entire post, you know, where I mention that the word incompetent wasn't used. But hey, don't let your lack of reading comprehension skills get in the way of your flapping cake hole, right.

Oh, by the way, no complex here, quite the opposite, very very confident in fact. But hey, don't let your baseless assumptions get in the way of reality, right.

I guess you didn't read my entire post, you know, where I mention that the word incompetent wasn't used. But hey, don't let your lack of reading comprehension skills get in the way of your flapping cake hole, right.

Oh, by the way, no complex here, quite the opposite, very very confident in fact. But hey, don't let your baseless assumptions get in the way of reality, right.

Your statement again:

Therfore, from Gates saying: "Canadian, Dutch and British troops are ill-suited for the fierce counterinsurgency war they are waging in southern Afghanistan," you went to believing that it was crystal clear he was calling the troops incompetent.

Now that's a lack of parsing ability.

I just pointed out that's quite the logical jump. No defending yourself really. You just end up looking more foolish.

And let's call it a steak hole - all right? Not a big fan of sweets you see?

Edited by Sulaco