Canadian Political Polls

On foreign policy:

"On foreign policy and Canada's reputation on the international stage, respondents in general had good feelings about Canada, but attitudes to specific countries might be different and personalized. Nanos gives China as an example.

"Canadians will focus on China when something happens that touches them directly like toxic toys coming into the country or jobs that are lost due to imports."

http://en.epochtimes.com/news/8-1-2/63559.html

Thanks for posting this. I didn't see it any of the major media despite it being published on December 10. I missed some of the early Nanos polls when they changed their change from SES to Nanos near the end of the year.

I guess my only comment is that much of this opinion on Harper and the Tories was shaped prior to hearing testimony from Mulroney.

Edited by jdobbin

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I've said for two plus years that Harper would be re-elected with a minority. Some of the right in these forums are convinced that the poll numbers released in the last weeks mean massive Conservative majority.

I don't believe there's any question that Harper is going to win a majority government next election. Dion will probably lead the liberals to their lowest showing ever. The NDP may gain some seats at the liberals expense, but not enough to stave off a conservative majority, and the Bloc is too regional and will probably lose some seats to the conservatives.

The only national party seriously able to challenge the conservatives do not have the leader to do it, and those poll numbers will swing heavily in the conservatives favour come election time.

I don't believe there's any question that Harper is going to win a majority government next election. Dion will probably lead the liberals to their lowest showing ever. The NDP may gain some seats at the liberals expense, but not enough to stave off a conservative majority, and the Bloc is too regional and will probably lose some seats to the conservatives.

The only national party seriously able to challenge the conservatives do not have the leader to do it, and those poll numbers will swing heavily in the conservatives favour come election time.

So far the polls disagree with you. Anything is possible in an election but they have only risen above 40% in the polls a few times in the last two plus years. The only way that they could win a majority with a lower percentage is a very large split vote between the other parties in Opposition.

This is completely true.

The Liberals might bring out enough of the *scary* *scary* *scary* pixie dust to hold the Conservatives to a big minority. But that is their best case scenario.

I have been wanting an election for some time and said so but I don't think it is productive to repeat it time and again. What would be the point?

The Conservatives are ready for an election at any time. They have more candidates nominated and cash in the bank than any of their opponents.

We are ready, but it truly isn't in our hands.

Change "BRING IT ON!" to ... "Bring it on whenever, but at least wait until it warms up a little bit cuz door knocking in this weather sucks arse!" :D

Where DID all the blustering of just a short while ago go? "Bring it on" was the quote I think?

I think some were blustering a few days ago about.

The only way an election isn't happening is if the BQ ends up supporting the budget. The Tories don't want to see Liberals win in upcoming byelections.

Not really about Canadian politics but a poll on Canadian views on American politics.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/National/home

The survey, provided exclusively to The Canadian Press, says 49 per cent of Canadians expressed a preference for Democrats while only 12 per cent did the same for Republicans.

Even self-described Conservatives — who are supposedly more ideologically in tune with the right-leaning Republicans — favoured the Democrats by a 47-23 margin.

I think the 23% who do support the Republicans must post here.

Another analysis of how the Tories are not connecting with women.

Ipsos Reid polls analyzed.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...a5-8fc896e0dad2

In four polls through Nov. 26, support for the party among men averaged 42 per cent, compared with 33 per cent among women. In the most recent Ipsos poll, made public Dec. 22, the gap spiked to 15 percentage points. Forty-three per cent of men said they would vote for the Conservatives, compared with 28 per cent of women.

"There really seems to be a very strong gender effect in Conservative voting," said Ipsos Reid president Darrell Bricker.

Canadian women have shown a reluctance to vote Conservative for some time now, Bricker noted. But it was not always so.

In the early postwar era, it was generally accepted that women in Western democracies tended to be more right wing in their voting preferences than men. But since the 1980s, many scholars have observed a realignment of female voters toward the left. Experts attribute this shift to a range of factors, from greater educational opportunities to the ongoing lag in women's wages and a decline in religiosity.

Some analysts say the Conservatives must do more to address issues traditionally considered important by women.

When it comes to the top issue facing the country, men and women agree: the environment. According to a Ipsos poll last month, 28 per cent of men and 29 per cent of women believe Canadian leaders should focus on the environment.

Beyond that, men and women's priorities diverge. Both sexes agree that health care is the second most important issue facing the country, but 27 per cent of women consider it key, compared with 18 per cent of men.

Education and poverty ranked as the third and fourth most important issues for women. For men, it was the economy and military defence.

I think the Tories have written off poverty as an issue now that the Liberals have staked it out. They are not likely to do anything on daycare either even though their program is an utter, complete and inexcusable failure.

Not really about Canadian politics but a poll on Canadian views on American politics.

Totally uninteresting and inconsequential. But knock yourself out as this provides you yet another opportunity to bash Conservative supporters.

Funny how this poll jumped out at you but you hadn't a clue about the poll favourable to the Conservatives until I pointed it out.

Edited by capricorn

I think the Tories have written off poverty as an issue now that the Liberals have staked it out.

The Conservatives never "staked out poverty" as an issue and you know it.

They are not likely to do anything on daycare either even though their program is an utter, complete and inexcusable failure.

You're so predictable it's laughable. You remind me of a comedian testing out his skits.

Totally uninteresting and inconsequential. But knock yourself out as this provides you yet another opportunity to bash Conservative supporters.

Funny how this poll jumped out at you but you hadn't a clue about the poll favourable to the Conservatives until I pointed it out.

I take it you are not one of the 23% of Conservatives who support the Republicans?

As for the poll you published, thanks. I didn't see it in any Canadian newspapers, television or radio. Glad you were able to find it in on an American website.

I take it you are not one of the 23% of Conservatives who support the Republicans?

I don't equate American politics with Canadians politics. Sorry to disappoint you.

Glad you were able to find it in on an American website.

The Epoch Times publishes American, Canadian and Australian editions. Again, sorry to disappoint you on your assumption.

http://en.epochtimes.com/change_edition.html

BTW, it was carried on the internet so I do think you would have come across it but decided to ignore it. :P

Edited by capricorn

I don't equate American politics with Canadians politics. Sorry to disappoint you.

The Epoch Times publishes American, Canadian and Australian editions. Again, sorry to disappoint you on your assumption.

BTW, it was carried on the internet so I do think you would have come across it but decided to ignore it. :P

That doesn't really answer the question of whether you think a Republican should be elected over a Democrat but no matter.

The Epoch Times is an American company.

http://en.epochtimes.com/aboutus.html

It is an American website. It may have Canadian editions but it is as Canadian as Time Canada is.

Ah, you're right. I did ignore it. How could I have possibly missed it? heh

In any event there is the more current and better news of the Liberals leading the Tories by 2 points. Thank goodness for that.

Edited by jdobbin

That doesn't really answer the question of whether you think a Republican should be elected over a Democrat but no matter.

How much clearer could I have been? There's no answer for me to give. I see no correlation between Canadian and American politics so I do not select one American party over another.

The Epoch Times is an American company.

It is an American website. It may have Canadian editions but it is as Canadian as Time Canada is.

So you say.

Ah, you're right. I did ignore it. How could I have possibly missed it? heh

When you use the expression "heh" you're supposed to follow it with a question mark like "heh?" or it loses its connotation and effect.

He rightfully pointed out how the only time you ever 'miss' polls is when they are favourable for the CPC.

I guess he could have missed seeing the poll if as he says, he only ever reads newspapers and listens to the radio. :rolleyes:

Again with the Beavis and Butthead Steph & Iggy heh?

MB, your usage of "heh?" is the correct usage. You and I know that. A little bit of Canadiana...