Democratic lawmaker apologizes to Canadian for U.S. mistake that led t

Lawmakers apologized Thursday to a Canadian engineer for his detention by U.S. officials, who took him to Syria where the man says he was tortured and held for nearly a year without charges.

Maher Arar, 37, appeared before a joint hearing of House subcommittees by video, because he is still on a U.S. government watch list.

"Let me personally give you what our government has not: an apology," said Bill Delahunt, D-Mass., as he opened the hearing. "Let me apologize to you and the Canadian people for our government's role in a mistake."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gjmr8B3...jQLaYQTfWnFz2fg

The u.s. government might not know what justice is but at least one of its democrats does, I have to say I am glad someone admits to the crime done to this innocent man ...

The u.s. government might not know what justice is but at least one of its democrats does, I have to say I am glad someone admits to the crime done to this innocent man ...

Give equal treatment. Both Dems and Reps have offered apologies and both camps were saying it is a sham.

According to those who have seen the file, including Stocky Day , there is nothing in it to keep Arar on the no fly list.

But make no mistake, if the US doesn't want someone in, not much anyone can do.

Give equal treatment. Both Dems and Reps have offered apologies and both camps were saying it is a sham.

According to those who have seen the file, including Stocky Day , there is nothing in it to keep Arar on the no fly list.

But make no mistake, if the US doesn't want someone in, not much anyone can do.

I don't know Mahers wants but I would just be happy with a full governmental apology and an assurance that the u.s. will make sure it never sends an innocent man to be tortured again.

We both know the u.s. is such a pile of mess right now that it would never admit a mistake but theres hope that at least an apology will be given by the government ...

I don't know Mahers wants but I would just be happy with a full governmental apology and an assurance that the u.s. will make sure it never sends an innocent man to be tortured again.

We both know the u.s. is such a pile of mess right now that it would never admit a mistake but theres hope that at least an apology will be given by the government ...

And just where did this "failed info" that the US has come from?

Yup Canada. Why was he paid so much by CDN govt?

"We both know" ? I know no such thing so speak for yourself. Will it admit the mistake? Probably not and that is sad. But a mess? Nada.

That's because it wasn't a mistake....not then..not now...not in the future. The US is a sovereign state and it can deport any perp it wants to. Maher had his day in US court and lost...he can sue if he wants, using all his new found cash to hire the best American attorneys!

Maher Arar has no right to enter US airspace, innocent or not.

That's because it wasn't a mistake....not then..not now...not in the future. The US is a sovereign state and it can deport any perp it wants to. Maher had his day in US court and lost...he can sue if he wants, using all his new found cash to hire the best American attorneys!

Maher Arar has no right to enter US airspace, innocent or not.

The US was wrong by sending him to Syria because US doesn't"torture" they outsource it and the whole world knows it. When he asked to be send back to his country Canada, they should have but instead they did it their way!

The US was wrong by sending him to Syria because US doesn't"torture" they outsource it and the whole world knows it. When he asked to be send back to his country Canada, they should have but instead they did it their way!

Funny, but you left out the part where the RCMP says he is a terrorist perp...LOL!

Arar was deported to Jordan, then he went to his nation of birth, according to US law. Maybe Arar should not have skipped out on mandatory government service in Syria, eh?

If he shows up in the US again.....I hope we deport his ass right back to Syria.

That's because it wasn't a mistake....not then..not now...not in the future.

So what does it say in his file since you have surely looked at it. Inquiring minds want to know.

Sine Reps and Dems both have said they have seen the file and nothing is in it to justify the actions.......what did you read?

His lawsuit is being reviewed as we speak .

(bear in mind , I have been clear where the original mistake occured-here)

So what does it say in his file since you have surely looked at it. Inquiring minds want to know.

It says...and I quote:

"Subject is a supreme dummy for booking a layover in post 9/11 USA after being surveiled for earlier contacts with Al Qaeda persons of interest. Deport this fool at once!"

It says...and I quote:

"Subject is a supreme dummy for booking a layover in post 9/11 USA after being surveiled for earlier contacts with Al Qaeda persons of interest. Deport this fool at once!"

Wow ur a sociopath! *L*

So its his fault he was wrongfully tortured?

Do humans have rights?

Do you not care if ppl are tortured?

Take a good look folks, this is the yank in his natural habitat, bigoted, stupid, racist and sociopathic ...

Wow ur a sociopath! *L*

So its his fault he was wrongfully tortured?

Do humans have rights?

Do you not care if ppl are tortured?

Take a good look folks, this is the yank in his natural habitat, bigoted, stupid, racist and sociopathic ...

No, it actually was Canada's fault that Arar was legally deported per US immigration law...see "RCMP Screws Up"

Humans do not have a right to sovereign airspace or land.

Arar was not "tortured"....it was a Syrian reality TV show and he won first prize of $10 million plus expenses.

No, it actually was Canada's fault that Arar was legally deported per US immigration law...see "RCMP Screws Up"

Arar was not "tortured"....it was a Syrian reality TV show and he won first prize of $10 million plus expenses.

If he continues with the lawsuit agains the US that 10 million will disappear fast. The US can drag his lawsuit out for decades. Unless they are hiding something and then they shall settle fast.

If he continues with the lawsuit agains the US that 10 million will disappear fast. The US can drag his lawsuit out for decades. Unless they are hiding something and then they shall settle fast.

Maybe, but the US will not back down on the sovereign right to deport, deny entry, or terminate visas. We denied entry to John Lennon for old UK dope infractions for years, and look what happened to him once he got off the schnide!

Im not talking about being allowed into the u.s.

Im talking about what a screw up the u.s. made by sending someone to be TORTURED, thats what happened to him, thats why Canada gave him money (which never can compensate for what he went through), thats why some yanks know enoguh to apologize, this is very clear for someone who uses their head ...

You denying he was tortured is just another example of how sick and misinformed ur society is ...

Guest American Woman
Im talking about what a screw up the u.s. made by sending someone to be TORTURED, thats what happened to him, thats why Canada gave him money ...

Canada gave him money because of Canada's part in this. The U.S. acted on the information that Canada had provided to the U.S., so Canada did not give him money because the U.S. "screwed up" but because Canada screwed up. No matter what the U.S. did, it was based on the information that Canada provided.

You've got your apologies from U.S. lawmakers. Not "a democrat" as you'd like to present it, but U.S. lawmakers. What happened to this man was horrible. And yes, the U.S. did act wrongly, but it was because of information provided by Canada. Has that sunk in yet?

You denying he was tortured is just another example of how sick and misinformed ur society is ...

Krikey...I am only one of 300,000,000 people in America, so now the entire US "society" is sick and misinformed, and you post this slur after getting your apology from those who think he is owed one (I don't)?

I have seen no credible evidence that Mr. Arar was 'tortured', and if such is the case, his beef is with the Syrians, not America.

Krikey...I am only one of 300,000,000 people in America, so now the entire US "society" is sick and misinformed, and you post this slur after getting your apology from those who think he is owed one (I don't)?

I have seen no credible evidence that Mr. Arar was 'tortured', and if such is the case, his beef is with the Syrians, not America.

Spin it spin it spin it !!!

The u.s. detained him, the u.s. extradited him because they knew he would be tortured.

He was tortured and noone is debating this fact except YOU ...

Spin it spin it spin it !!!

The u.s. detained him, the u.s. extradited him because they knew he would be tortured.

He was tortured and noone is debating this fact except YOU ...

Spending a year in one's nation of birth does not constitute torture. The USA did not extradite him....he was deported according to immigration law. Hell, you chaps (Canada) have poor bastards still locked up for years on security certificates...which date back long before Bush or any rendition program.

Spending a year in one's nation of birth does not constitute torture. The USA did not extradite him....he was deported according to immigration law. Hell, you chaps (Canada) have poor bastards still locked up for years on security certificates...which date back long before Bush or any rendition program.

No, being TORTURED means u were TORTURED ! Thats what hes said, thats what Syrians have alluded to, thats what the u.s. AND Canada believe happened ... its called a FACT

It was the u.s. actions that sent him to be tortured, thats why the democrat apologized ...

No, being TORTURED means u were TORTURED ! Thats what hes said, thats what Syrians have alluded to, thats what the u.s. AND Canada believe happened ... its called a FACT

It was the u.s. actions that sent him to be tortured, thats why the democrat apologized ...

Bullpuckey....the US sent him to Jordan...don't forget to sue them too...LOL!

I was tortured once too....in Esquimalt, BC!

Guest American Woman

Interesting that you want assurance from the U.S. that an innocent man will never be sent to be tortured again when it was information from Canada that had him listed as a threat. Furthermore, Canada did not prevent the U.S. from sending him to Syria. The U.S. first offered to turn him over to Canada on the condition that he would be charged and tried for, it sounds like, having terrorist connections. Why would Canada refuse to do that, and instead leave him in the hands of the horrible U.S. and/or Syria? Canada could have tried him, since it was Canada that had listed him as a threat, and found him innocent. End of story.

Now about his deportation, treatment, and interrogation in Syria:

RCMP Supt. Mike Cabana who headed up the investigation in the Ottawa area said Canadian officials were concerned Arar was being abused early in his captivity in Syria, but they exchanged intelligence anyway.

"As appalling as it may sound to you, part of our duties in Canada, in trying to protect the Canadian public, means that from time to time we have to deal with countries that don't necessarily have the same record as we do. And don't necessarily treat their prisoners the same as we do.

"And I would submit to you that if we didn't consider dealing with these countries, the security of Canadians would be greatly at risk," he told the inquiry. Link

Supporters of Maher Arar say new documents show some Canadian officials actively encouraged his interrogation in a Syrian prison.

They say questions about Canada's complicity in Arar's detention and torture are rampant in the more than 2,000 pages of government e-mail, memos and handwritten notes released Thursday by the public inquiry into Arar's case.

The documents released Thursday suggest senior Canadian officials failed to act to prevent Arar's deportation – and once he was in Syria, Canadian authorities appeared more interested in Arar's interrogation than his treatment. Link

[Pillarella,]Canada's former ambassador to Syria told the Maher Arar inquiry Tuesday that he took no initial action on the case because there was no proof the Ottawa engineer was being mistreated in a Syrian jail.

"When [the consular official] met with Mr. Arar, there was no evidence, no evidence that Mr. Arar had been physically tortured.

"Because I can tell you one thing: If that evidence had been there, that evidence would have been reported to Ottawa."

Pillarella said the Syrians "promised to pass on to me any information they may gather on Arar's implication in terrorist activities." Link

Doesn't sound as if Canada was filled with warm fuzzy feelings over Arar's deportation/treatment, eh? <_<

Edited by American Woman

Interesting that you want assurance from the U.S. that an innocent man will never be sent to be tortured again when it was information from Canada that had him listed as a threat. Furthermore, Canada did not prevent the U.S. from sending him to Syria. The U.S. first offered to turn him over to Canada on the condition that he would be charged and tried for, it sounds like, having terrorist connections. Why would Canada refuse to do that, and instead leave him in the hands of the horrible U.S. and/or Syria? Canada could have tried him, since it was Canada that had listed him as a threat, and found him innocent. End of story.

Now about his deportation, treatment, and interrogation in Syria:

RCMP Supt. Mike Cabana who headed up the investigation in the Ottawa area said Canadian officials were concerned Arar was being abused early in his captivity in Syria, but they exchanged intelligence anyway.

"As appalling as it may sound to you, part of our duties in Canada, in trying to protect the Canadian public, means that from time to time we have to deal with countries that don't necessarily have the same record as we do. And don't necessarily treat their prisoners the same as we do.

"And I would submit to you that if we didn't consider dealing with these countries, the security of Canadians would be greatly at risk," he told the inquiry. Link

Supporters of Maher Arar say new documents show some Canadian officials actively encouraged his interrogation in a Syrian prison.

They say questions about Canada's complicity in Arar's detention and torture are rampant in the more than 2,000 pages of government e-mail, memos and handwritten notes released Thursday by the public inquiry into Arar's case.

The documents released Thursday suggest senior Canadian officials failed to act to prevent Arar's deportation – and once he was in Syria, Canadian authorities appeared more interested in Arar's interrogation than his treatment. Link

[Pillarella,]Canada's former ambassador to Syria told the Maher Arar inquiry Tuesday that he took no initial action on the case because there was no proof the Ottawa engineer was being mistreated in a Syrian jail.

"When [the consular official] met with Mr. Arar, there was no evidence, no evidence that Mr. Arar had been physically tortured.

"Because I can tell you one thing: If that evidence had been there, that evidence would have been reported to Ottawa."

Pillarella said the Syrians "promised to pass on to me any information they may gather on Arar's implication in terrorist activities." Link

Doesn't sound as if Canada was filled with warm fuzzy feelings over Arar's deportation/treatment, eh? <_<

For Canadas part what we did was disgusting!

We also have since realized the mistake we made, apologized to Arar and tried in some small way to make up for the hell hes lived through.

The u.s. deported him, not Canada, im not saying either side is innocent here but its time for the u.s. to issue a full apology for the screw up they did ...

Guest American Woman

The U.S. acted on information provided by Canada. The U.S. isn't the one who made the mistake regarding his innocence, CANADA is. What would you expect the U.S. to do with someone deemed a terrorist threat by Canada-- let him go?

He was offered to Canada, but left in the hands of the U.S. Even after he was deported, and the RCMP was in contact with the U.S. all the time he was in custody, it sounds as if Canada was more interested in the information Syria was getting from their interrogation than it was about his treatment. Yet this information, including the fact that Canada was given the chance to take him, has trickled out through the years. Initially it was 'the U.S. deported an innocent man because of our suspicions' and we were made out to be The Bad Guys. And it stayed that way for a long time. Canada sure didn't jump in saying it was because of faulty intelligence from the RCMP.

The information I posted in my previous post is all news to me, and I sure didn't see you bringing it up, criticizing it. And all this as Canada proclaimed outrage at OUR actions. Everyone said the U.S. deported him because we "knew" he would be tortured, yet there's the quote from your Ambassador to Syria saying there was no reason to suspect he was being tortured.

Your country didn't stop the deportation even though he was your citizen. Your country said that sometimes a nation has to deal with this type of thing in the interest of its citizens. That's exactly the reason the U.S. gave for its actions in deporting him. Canada let the U.S. take the criticism for this, when it should have been forthcoming about its part in it all along.

In light of all the criticism and outrage you are posting all over the forum about the U.S., seems to me your one liner declaring 'what Canada did was disgusting' is pretty lame. I find it difficult to understand how an apology would override your disgust with what YOUR country did, while going on and on about what the U.S. did or didn't do.

Edited by American Woman