Health spending to hit $183.1 B, or $5,452 per Canadian

bjre

Health care spending in Canada to hit $183.1 billion.

OTTAWA – Canadian health-care spending is expected to reach $183.1 billion in 2009 or $5,452 per Canadian, according to figures released Thursday by the Canadian Institute for Health Information.

The estimate represents a $9.5 billion increase from 2008, when health-care spending was estimated to be $172 billion.

Hospitals are expected to account for the largest proportion of health-care spending in Canada this year, at 27.8 per cent, or $51 billion.

Spending on drugs is expected to make up the second largest proportion of health spending.

http://www.kelowna.com/2009/11/19/health-care-spending-in-canada-to-hit-183-1-billion/

Need some audit or study?

Edited by bjre

This is in line with the provinces 5 year plan to increase medical spending you know that right? All provinces committed to these spending increases.

Still should have the audit and study, lots of waste in the world of bureaucrats, they probably could be a Little more efficient.

So what if they committed it, just because you are bugeted x amount of dollars doesn't mean you need to find something to spend it all in your dept.

No the committed to increasing services while shortening wait times. Meaning they planned for the budget to go up, and went up by the amount planned. Shocking they are tackling the problems in our system, knew that would cost money, and spent the money it would cost. DOWN WITH THE GOVERNMENT NOW DOING WHAT THEY PLANNED TO DO!!!!

No the committed to increasing services while shortening wait times. Meaning they planned for the budget to go up, and went up by the amount planned. Shocking they are tackling the problems in our system, knew that would cost money, and spent the money it would cost. DOWN WITH THE GOVERNMENT NOW DOING WHAT THEY PLANNED TO DO!!!!

SO you don't think their are any inefficiencies in the system?

Do you understand that when a dept head receives a budget for x amount of dollars they find ways to spend it all even if it isn't needed because if they don't their budget is reduced next year.

That is how bureaucracy works, in the real world.

Edited by Alta4ever

SO you don't think their are any inefficiencies in the system?

Do you understand that when a dept head receives a budget for x amount of dollars they find ways to spend it all even if it isn't needed because if they don't their budget is reduced next year.

That is how bureaucracy works, in the real world.

NO I think there are inefficiencies in the system and they should be addressed. I don't think a report that says "we spend as much as we planned to spend" should be used as the fodder to address this issue.

NO I think there are inefficiencies in the system and they should be addressed. I don't think a report that says "we spend as much as we planned to spend" should be used as the fodder to address this issue.

Did you just how much we were spending this artical highlights it, so that the masses can go back and say no no too much find a better way.

Did you just how much we were spending this artical highlights it, so that the masses can go back and say no no too much find a better way.

Yes because I read the First Minsters 10 year health care plan back in 2004 and I knew the plan was to increase health care spending by 40-50 billion in this country to address problems in the system. At that time per captia the US spent twice as much on health care for each US citizen as Canada and we said we could do better. This isn't new news, it is old news from 2004, we said we would spend this to help Canadians and we are.

http://www.scics.gc.ca/cinfo04/800042005_e.pdf

You are right the other 30 being drugs, physio and other health care the government does not pay for good point as well.

I understand you don't care how much is spent, just throw more and more money at the problems do nothing to fix the underlying issues.

You are right the other 30 being drugs, physio and other health care the government does not pay for good point as well.

There are many government-covered physiotherapy places for those who are unable to afford it. There are also government drug-assistance plans that help Canadians pay for medications they cannot afford. My advice - if you need coverage, go get a damn job and get some benefits! If not, the government WILL help you.

I understand you don't care how much is spent, just throw more and more money at the problems do nothing to fix the underlying issues.

My issue is this report tells us the government is spending the money on health care they told us they were going to spend, and some how this is news? I know this is what the government is spending, they promised to spend it in 2004.

If you want to get into an entire health care debate and go line by line through the budget that is a different but I don't think any amount of money spent on health care would make you happy. If the report said they spent 170 billion would that be ok with you? How about 150? 100? 60? What is the right number for you?

If you want to get into an entire health care debate and go line by line through the budget that is a different but I don't think any amount of money spent on health care would make you happy. If the report said they spent 170 billion would that be ok with you? How about 150? 100? 60? What is the right number for you?

All depends on what they spent the year prior, and how the cut has impacted service.

My issue is this report tells us the government is spending the money on health care they told us they were going to spend, and some how this is news?

I think it is the figure which is striking. The fact the government is spending over $5000 per citizen on health care, and that this figure continues to rise rapidly - with the boomers just now retiring and looking forward to decades of expensive health care.

The majority of Canadians probably don't even pay that much in yearly taxes. So where is all this money going to be coming from and isn't there some way of making health care less expensive without cutting quality? Those are the questions which come to mind.

The government isn't spending over 5000 per person. They're spending about 3800, or 70% of the total.

You're splitting hairs. I don't care if it's for hospitals, drugs or physiotherapy. It's still for health care. Over $5400 per citizen.

You're splitting hairs. I don't care if it's for hospitals, drugs or physiotherapy. It's still for health care. Over $5400 per citizen.

But this was always the plan the US spends 8000 per person. Canada said 5 years ago we want to be closer to that 8000 and created a 10 year plan and has been putting it into action. That is the goal to spend more to give more to people.

I'm not splitting hairs. The government isn't spending anywhere near what you said. We are as people in total.