Fast Growth in Alberta Good, Not Bad, for Canada

Good. Instead of whining about other's success, why not just give us the boot? You don't need the billions in taxes and huge GDP. I promise.

Who exactly is pouring scorn on Alberta?

Are people that dissatisfied with Harper in Alberta that they are going to separate?

I think the growth in Alberta is great. In fact, it has been a great year economically all round for the west.

Who exactly is pouring scorn on Alberta?

It's common to hear the plight of manufacturers in the East blamed on Alberta. "Oh, their oil raised our currency." Well yes, it did. But it wasn't Alberta that prevented you from running productive enterprises.

Same goes with inflation and all those other things. The interest rate hike was purely Alberta, no where else has growth worth caring about.

--

I misread the title and thought the poster was being critical indirectly. It's all good. But the above stereotypical critical person is very common, especially from Ontario.

It's common to hear the plight of manufacturers in the East blamed on Alberta. "Oh, their oil raised our currency." Well yes, it did. But it wasn't Alberta that prevented you from running productive enterprises.

Same goes with inflation and all those other things. The interest rate hike was purely Alberta, no where else has growth worth caring about.

I don't hear that too much. I know manufacturers have been concerned by currency changes but who isn't that exports finished goods to the U.S.? It hasn't all been about oil but the U.S. currency being under pressure from all quarters.

I have no doubt that Ontario will be back. It always recovers because is has the population and the industrial base to do well.

I don't think Alberta is to blame in the least for what is happening.

Apologies. Had to leave before making a comment on the topic.

What was interesting was the:

• On a per capita basis, Alberta contributes $3,000 a year to federal coffers, or double that of Ontario.

It has been consistently denied by, e.g., Duceppe, that Albertans have contributed more to Quebec's equalization payments than Ontario and, more specifically, Duceppe has denied that Alberta contributes and Quebec receives ANY dollars from Albertans. A recent article quoted Duceppe stating the above just recently. Can't find it unfortunately.

Jack Layton has made on-going references to the 'environment', Alberta, carbon taxes, sharing with Canada and criticizing those uber rich Albertan oil barons. What Layton has not critiqued is B.C.'s oil and natural gas resources; that B.C. is now, along with Alberta and Ontario, again contributing to the 'have-not' provinces' equalization payments mainly because of its' resources similar to Albertas'. No doubt the reason being, Layton hasn't a clue about any province other than Ontario.

`

It has been consistently denied by, e.g., Duceppe, that Albertans have contributed more to Quebec's equalization payments than Ontario and, more specifically, Duceppe has denied that Alberta contributes and Quebec receives ANY dollars from Albertans. A recent article quoted Duceppe stating the above just recently. Can't find it unfortunately.

I constantly hear the "Albertans don't pay Quebec" or "Albertans don't pay Newfoundland." Nonsense. We do. My taxes would be on average, $3000 less per year if Quebec and Newfoundland stood on their own feet (Newfoundland is standing on their own feet and still getting paid for some reason).

It's a serious problem, and Quebeckers are the worst for being ignorant and making excuses.

Canada could not possibly have it's standard of living today without Alberta's financial power.

I constantly hear the "Albertans don't pay Quebec" or "Albertans don't pay Newfoundland." Nonsense. We do. My taxes would be on average, $3000 less per year if Quebec and Newfoundland stood on their own feet (Newfoundland is standing on their own feet and still getting paid for some reason).

It's a serious problem, and Quebeckers are the worst for being ignorant and making excuses.

Canada could not possibly have it's standard of living today without Alberta's financial power.

That is the biggest load of crap I think I have read here yet. Especially your last sentiment, the last I checked Toronto is the financial capital of Canada with more business and dollars passing through it than any other city in Canada. Just because you have an over inflated housing market in Alberta don't kid yourself about being THE pre-eminent economic powerhouse, or the ONLY reason Canada is doing well. This is a large and broad country, I believe it has been a strong GROUP effort.

As far as your statement on Newfoundland, we are on the track to standing strong, I would say another ten years. I think it may be a little premature to think we are out of the area needing equalisation as of yet but thanks for thinking so.

And you have such a typically ignorant view of the East, especially Quebec. I don't like to generalize, but I have heard so many b.s. comments like these that I feel they may be the norm rather than just a few idiots out in the west. I would love for some of you political sooth-sayers to come out east and gain something called perspective instead of just spouting off random numbers and making dangerously ignorant sentiments. I have lived in the east, out west in Calgary for 6 years, travelled throughout the country and I feel like this gives that perspective. I would not make such capricious statements about regions as you obviously continue to do Geoffrey.

Especially your last sentiment, the last I checked Toronto is the financial capital of Canada with more business and dollars passing through it than any other city in Canada. Just because you have an over inflated housing market in Alberta don't kid yourself about being THE pre-eminent economic powerhouse, or the ONLY reason Canada is doing well. This is a large and broad country, I believe it has been a strong GROUP effort.

Group effort? You do realise that Alberta's GDP per capita outpaces any other region in the country by 150%? Yup. No group effort. Albertans pay in transfers 3x the average Ontarian.

Toronto has a bunch of glossy towers where bankers sit, but the real money in Canada flows out of Ft. McMurray. There is no secret that the value of Canadian dollars and investment is hinged directly to oil. Not automakers. Not financials. The only sector in Canada that has been a real winner over the last few years in energy. That's it. That's all. Mining and minerals to an extent but mostly due to inflationary fears raising precious metals prices.

As far as your statement on Newfoundland, we are on the track to standing strong, I would say another ten years. I think it may be a little premature to think we are out of the area needing equalisation as of yet but thanks for thinking so.

You are out of the need. You have a higher per capita earning level than Ontario. But you want them to pay you. What the hell?

And you have such a typically ignorant view of the East, especially Quebec.

I've lived in Quebec and in Ontario for more of my life than I have in Alberta.

I don't like to generalize, but I have heard so many b.s. comments like these that I feel they may be the norm rather than just a few idiots out in the west. I would love for some of you political sooth-sayers to come out east and gain something called perspective instead of just spouting off random numbers and making dangerously ignorant sentiments. I have lived in the east, out west in Calgary for 6 years, travelled throughout the country and I feel like this gives that perspective. I would not make such capricious statements about regions as you obviously continue to do Geoffrey.

Random numbers? Dangerous sentiments?

Hey, if someone in this country doesn't call it like it is, it's going to fall further down the tube. Bottom line, it's time to cut off the Newfies when they make more than Ontario. There is no justification for a richer province to recieve net equalisation from a poorer one. Do you think that Alberta should pay much less tax because it's based on oil (sometimes I see Williams supporters use this, oil's instability) and instead have New Brunswick and PEI support our social structures?

After all, we need the money to make sure we can stand on our feet! Just like our friend Danny in Newfoundland. So pay up. :rolleyes: