Happy New Year (5768)

jbg

At sundown tonight was the start of the Jewish New Year. The Jewish New Year occurs on the new moon near the autumnal equinox. Like many Jewish holidays, it is based on the agricultural cycle. It, Yom Kippur, Sukkot (the harvest festival) and Simchat Torah (the ending of the reading of Deuteronomy and the beginning of the reading of Genisis) all occur with a few weeks of the autumn new moon, at a time when the seasonal abundance permitted both celebration and reflection on the past and upcoming year.

On a personal note, the past year has had both great losses and great gains. My employer's wife, who I had known for 21 years, lost a three year battle with cancer last January, On a positive note, my younger son began to make serious strides against the autism with which he's been afflicted.

As I strode up the long temple driveway in the crisp, 20 degree evening air, I tried to anticipate what will come of the upcoming year. Truth is, it's unknowable. One thing that I do know is that there will be change, both for better and for worse. The other thing I do know is that in ten days, me, and many others like me, will go without food and water for 24 hours, as a small part of atoning for sins against G-d. That atonement is worthless, however, unless we also make peace with our fellow man. In this 21st Century, that includes cyber-friends, acquaintences, and rivals. We will never come to agreement, because that would destroy the whole purpose of cyber-forums. Free, vigorous and just debate is, however, part of the process of making amends with our fellow man. I hope I am able to do the same thing in my personal relationships.

At sundown tonight was the start of the Jewish New Year. The Jewish New Year occurs on the new moon near the autumnal equinox. Like many Jewish holidays, it is based on the agricultural cycle. It, Yom Kippur, Sukkot (the harvest festival) and Simchat Torah (the ending of the reading of Deuteronomy and the beginning of the reading of Genisis) all occur with a few weeks of the autumn new moon, at a time when the seasonal abundance permitted both celebration and reflection on the past and upcoming year.

Happy New Year. The synagogue on my way to work was busy all day with activity. Earlier in the week they were polishing the doors and cleaning the windows. The next little while is the busy time for worship and family.

On another note, a Happy New Year should go out to Ethiopia as well. They just celebrated the year 2000 according to their calendar. I saw a few of them out celebrating just recently.

Happy New Year jbg !

Permit my ignorance, but is that "tukas" the same as when my dad would say get your tukas up those stairs? Is that where it comes from?

:lol:

Could be....or it could be a very bad pronouciation of Shana Tova Umetukah.......

in which case, a little sweetening to go along with my acerbic wit.

On time my wife an I are invited to a friend's parent's post synagogue Rosh Hashanah party. My wife asked if she can bring something, I quickly butted in and suggested her bacon wrapped scallops..... :ph34r: They were politley and humouressly declined and optioned for our own thanksgiving dinner....later our friend asks how we are getting there, (hinting that since we might have a tipple, should we drive?) I said no worries, we would get a shofar....

Happy New Year jbg !

Permit my ignorance, but is that "tukas" the same as when my dad would say get your tukas up those stairs? Is that where it comes from?

Yes. "Tuchas" means literally "rear end".

:lol:

Could be....or it could be a very bad pronouciation of Shana Tova Umetukah.......

in which case, a little sweetening to go along with my acerbic wit.

On time my wife an I are invited to a friend's parent's post synagogue Rosh Hashanah party. My wife asked if she can bring something, I quickly butted in and suggested her bacon wrapped scallops..... :ph34r: They were politley and humouressly declined and optioned for our own thanksgiving dinner....later our friend asks how we are getting there, (hinting that since we might have a tipple, should we drive?) I said no worries, we would get a shofar....

Very funny.