Provincial Polls

SES say Liberals are in majority territory.

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/National/...542849-sun.html

Dalton McGuinty's Liberals have crept back in striking distance of a majority government over the last week, a SES-Sun Media poll suggests.

The survey indicates the Liberals are getting a lift at the expense of the NDP, with women voters in particular moving to get behind the ruling Grits.

With only nine days left until the Ontario election, McGuinty, despite the baggage of his one-term government's broken promises, looks poised to win a second majority.

"We're at the point now where we would need a significant major error on the part of the Liberals for them to lose this," pollster Nik Nanos, president of SES Research, said yesterday.

"In the last election, they received 46 per cent of the vote and now they're at 44 per cent," he said.

"They're creeping into election territory that's very similar to the last election, which was a very big win for them."

Edited by jdobbin

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saddly, I believe you are very right! Eventually, Ontarians will be required to pay more and more of their medical bills out of their pockets. This does have to do with some abuses of the system. I've heard of many examples of abuse by none other than some of our very own neighbors. Demands for unecessary test, etc. The doctors hands are tied with respect to declining patient requests. This is an issue all of its own. To bad the politians wouldn't discuss this issue or offer solutions.

You are right ... been there done that, and apologized to the dr.

Abuse is an issue for sure, but minor compared to our naturally changing demographics ...

Baby boomers have aches and the whole country feels the pain. :D

Now if we were talking preventative, natural medicine coverage ... we could avoid some of the public pain of overly zealous personal prognostication. :D

That SES poll was conducted before Tory's backtracking. It will be very curious to see what effect Tory's so-called new stance will have on the electorate. For his part, I guess he had nothing to lose, so why not try a Hail Mary pass.

well I think that may be reflected in the latest ... 63% Lib I heard/saw on the news tonight, but I didn't catch the name of the polling company.

Latests Ipsos poll predicts Liberal majority in next week's election.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/story....a1d&k=15703

Despite Conservative leader John Tory backing down from his stance over funding for faith-based schools, the Liberals appear to be surging toward a strong majority in next week's election, with more than double the seats of the beleaguered Tories, according to the latest poll.

That would return Liberal leader Dalton McGuinty to the premier's office, and mark a bitter defeat for Mr. Tory, a former broadcasting executive and veteran political strategist who lost a close Toronto mayoralty race in 2003.

Among decided voters -- which, according to the Ipsos Reid poll, is all but four per cent of them -- the Liberals have the support of 43 per cent, while the Tories have 32 per cent, virtually unchanged from last week. Just two weeks ago, the spread between both parties was just three points.

Progressive Conservative leader John Tory faces a seemingly insurmountable 11-point Liberal lead in popular opinion with just five days left until the Ontario election.View Larger Image View Larger Image

"I think the campaign was probably over just following the leaders' debate (on Sept. 20), and that was mainly because there was nothing new introduced. I think the campaign was finished on Monday afternoon, after the change of position of Mr. Tory (who retracted a pledge to fund religious schools)," said John Wright, senior vice-president of public affairs for Ipsos Reid.

The Ipsos Reid poll, which put the NDP at 18-per-cent support and the Greens at six per cent, was conducted for CanWest News Service/Global News.

Latests Ipsos poll predicts Liberal majority in next week's election.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/story....a1d&k=15703

And I'm sure in a PR system this would not be the case, so to all of you Tories out there who are going whine and complain about the Liberals over the next four years, keep in mind that it really shouldn't be this way. Have fun voting No to MMP.

And I'm sure in a PR system this would not be the case, so to all of you Tories out there who are going whine and complain about the Liberals over the next four years, keep in mind that it really shouldn't be this way. Have fun voting No to MMP.

In the proportional system in Manitoba, it was completely unfair to urban areas and was scrapped.

This should be addressed to all nonLiberals who vote to keep the FPTP: don't complain anymore.

Latest poll from Strategic Counsel.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

he Ontario Liberals are sailing to victory with a 15-point lead over the Progressive Conservatives, according to a new poll, despite PC Leader John Tory backtracking on his pledge to fund faith-based schools.

The Strategic Counsel poll was conducted between Oct. 6 and 7 for CTV News and The Globe and Mail.

It shows the PC Party bleeding support ahead of Wednesday's vote: (percentage-point change from a Sept. 13-16 poll in brackets):

* Liberals: 42 per cent (+2)

* Progressive Conservatives: 27 per cent (-7)

* NDP: 19 per cent (+3)

* Green Party: 11 per cent (-1)

But outside the Greater Toronto Area, both the Liberals and Progressive Conservatives have lost votes to the New Democrats and Greens since the previous election (percentage-point change from the 2003 results in brackets):

* Liberals: 35 per cent (-11)

* Progressive Conservatives (28 per cent (-8)

* NDP: 24 per cent (+8)

* Green Party: 13 per cent (+10)

Protecting the province's public education system has become a central issue of the campaign. In Ontario, only private Catholic schools have a constitutional right to public funding.

I honestly, and I mean that, can't figure out why anyone would vote for Tory based on his campaign, its all been about what McGuinty did or didn't do, I haven't heard anything that he would do besides tell us he'd make billions of dollars of cuts without telling us where they would come from.. and the religious school funding... losing propositions both.

I'm almost ready to make a decision.

Yesterday I watched a McGuinty ad. He said becasuse of me school calls sizes have been reduced. Back awhile he pledged to cap class size.

Classroom size capped up to Grade 3

The Liberals will keep a costly promise to cap class sizes at 20 students in the years up to Grade 3.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2004/05/18/ont_bud040518.html

My daughter, in grade 3 has 23 classmates. I do not trust McGuinty. I think he lies.

I honestly, and I mean that, can't figure out why anyone would vote for Tory based on his campaign,

That's exactly what I mean. I'm suprised Tory's numbers are actually so high.

its all been about what McGuinty did or didn't do,

I disagree. It was about faith based schools.

When the news broke, Tory himself claimed that he wanted this to be the number 1 issue. He got his wish.

I haven't heard anything that he would do besides tell us he'd make billions of dollars of cuts without telling us where they would come from.. and the religious school funding... losing propositions both.

I agree totally. He has never outlined any of his plans or how he's going to pay for them.

Let's face it, Tory's a disaster waiting to happen.

(I'm listening to the CBC now and he's *STILL* not going to appologize over the faith based schools and is *STILL* using the phrase 'it's the right thing to do'.. The DAY BEFORE THE ELECTION!)

God he is the type of boss I just cannot stand at work.

I'm almost ready to make a decision.

Yesterday I watched a McGuinty ad. He said becasuse of me school calls sizes have been reduced. Back awhile he pledged to cap class size.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2004/05/18/ont_bud040518.html

My daughter, in grade 3 has 23 classmates. I do not trust McGuinty. I think he lies.

What do you expect him to do when immigration is so high. Of course those grades are going to be packed with kids.

What do you expect him to do when immigration is so high. Of course those grades are going to be packed with kids.

I live in a very un immigrant neighgbourhood, where the average immmigrant kid is going to Bishop Stachan or Upper Canada College at 20k per year.

This has nothing to do with immigrants and everything to do with integrity, It's one thing not to keep your promise, quite another to claim you have.

imagine the class sizes after billions in cuts... Where will that money come from I wonder.

Its kinda fun to see Tory twisting in the wind and blaming voters and media for his poor performance so far.

Even if you are a Liberal, wow.. you just got to feel sorry for Tory. I've shuddred so many times during this campaign.

I'm sure McGuinty many times thought the same.

I could understand this happening back in the 'daddy' days of trudeau politics. But not in this modern era of our country.

I live in a very un immigrant neighgbourhood, where the average immmigrant kid is going to Bishop Stachan or Upper Canada College at 20k per year.

This has nothing to do with immigrants and everything to do with integrity, It's one thing not to keep your promise, quite another to claim you have.

All money and recources will go to the immigrant regions instead of yours.

Make no mistake, immigration will always effect you as long as you live here in Canada.

It has been since 1603.

Modern immigrants no longer contribute to the standard of life for all Canadians. They are no longer having a positive effect on our economy and lives. They are now having a negative effect on our economy, social order, and quality of life.

Thus, we need to stop it right away.

Fact is, as much as anyone can be partisan, ultimately, it was modern immigration that ruined our Ontario election. Tory knew who the winning votes were. He just misjudged what it would take to get their votes.

Ultimatly though, moderm immigration ruined our election and is ruining our political system. Especially of MMP goes ahead.

Modern immigrants no longer contribute to the standard of life for all Canadians. They are no longer having a positive effect on our economy and lives. They are now having a negative effect on our economy, social order, and quality of life.

Thus, we need to stop it right away.

Fact is, as much as anyone can be partisan, ultimately, it was modern immigration that ruined our Ontario election. Tory knew who the winning votes were. He just misjudged what it would take to get their votes.

Ultimatly though, moderm immigration ruined our election and is ruining our political system. Especially of MMP goes ahead.

Oh bs, md. I can show you a bar in every town filled with inebriates of ruddy complexions who certainly are not recent immigrants and they certainly do not contribute much to our economy. I will believe you are sincere about your economic concerns, rather than just racist when you decide to deport them too.

Oh bs, md. I can show you a bar in every town filled with inebriates of ruddy complexions who certainly are not recent immigrants and they certainly do not contribute much to our economy. I will believe you are sincere about your economic concerns, rather than just racist when you decide to deport them too.

That's where you are wrong.

I offered to personally pay to ship Mehar Arar and family out of Canada as long as he renounced his citizenship.

I emailed him this and never got a response.