Time to Attack

buffycat

This is a really good article, which left me with some hope.

Since I posted such an extreme piece earlier, I thought I might temper myself and add this one too.

I think Mr. Burg hits the nail on the head as he speaks of theocracy vs democracy, of the danger of the extremists on both and all sides of the fence. He does so with such clarity and candor - it's sad we don't see similar articles in the Canadian and American mainstream press:

Time to Attack

excerpt:

The real clash is between members of democratic civilizations and those of theocratic civilizations. The first group accepts everybody as sources of administrative authority undiscriminatorily; the others view God, not mortals, as their authority, and rely on his word, apostles and zealots. This schism cuts across Christianity and Islam and is also occuring here, in Judaism. Despite the sticky and vague "schmaltz" of "the unity of Israel," there is no escaping the question of whether there is - or should be - any kind of unity with these people. In my opinion, the answer is no - they are not my brethren, they are my enemies.

There is no theological difference between certain rabbis from Hebron, the former Hamas leader Sheikh Ahmed Yassin, and the evangelical preacher hoping for Armageddon at the site of our Megiddo. Those who say that "God's law is first" are no different from one another, whether they wear a rabbi's skullcap, Hezbollah's turban or the cloak of a North American spiritual leader. They are all engaged in a cruel battle against me. They are the enemies of freedom and democracy, and are hostile to liberty, equality and the status of women.

In a world like this, we must form new coalitions. The division between "us" and "our enemies" cannot be based merely along national or familial lines, or in beliefs and genetics. The world is divided into a coalition of some Jews, some Christians and some Muslims, versus other members of their nations and religions. Democracy versus theology.

Except that generally, in democratic nations, would-be theorcrats are permitted to exist. They are even permitted to vote. And battle against them is done in papers, in public via argument, and at the ballot box. And thus goes democracy. Andf that's why national; borders are and will remain important. because some groups of people HAVE organized themselves in such a manner that theocrats are permitted to exist but are weaned off their dsire to use force and led to believe, ideally, that their positions could and should onyl be explored through democratic means.

If I were an angry cynic I would see this article as far more damging than helping things. It is an attempt at dividing those nations which do organize themselves along democratic lines. It is an invitation to civili war in democratic satates while the Theocrats from outside, with the power of the nation state behind them push for victory.

But in reality I suspect this man is just stupid. He obviously knows not how to differentiate between those theologies that have made their peace with democracy - and those that have not. How does the devil win? By making everyone look the devil.