Christian radio station forced to give time to other faiths

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most Canadians would like to see the CBC sold to private interests and the CRTC scrapped. That's how we begin to shrink the size of government.

In an Ipsos-Reid 2004 Poll, 51% of Canadians voted to maintain current levels of funding for the CBC, 38% voted to increase funding, while 9% voted to decrease funding. Looks like the majority wanted the CBC publicly funded then, do you have reason to believe the numbers have changed significantly?

Another poll in the same year indicates Canadian opinion on the need for the CRTC is: 34% - Great deal of need, 48% - Some need, 9% - Not very much need, 7% - No need, 2% - Don't know/No opinion.

Link

(edited to add quote)

exactly, all my family in various parts of the county listen and watch the CBC

Are you serious? Ok, I'll play...No if it doesn't include anti-government content.

Why not?

Because I think that kind of censorship is wrong, and would like everyone in all areas of Canada be able to turn on the radio and hear many different viewpoints.

Edited by Electric Monk

Because I think that kind of censorship is wrong, and would like everyone in all areas of Canada be able to turn on the radio and hear many different viewpoints.

And I think that Government intrusion into dictating content is wrong.

Your argument presumes that the government can dictate content as a condition of allowing use of the airwaves, much like a landlord can dictate conditions to a renter. My point is that it can only dictate conditions which are reasonable (eg restrict the brodast of adult content). It should not be able to impose unreasonable restrictions any more than a landlord should be able to dictate who the tenant can invite as guests.

Forcing unwanted content is an unreasonable condition on the use of the airways, IMO.

No doubt. They should be coughing up the billion dollars a year to keep it going.

I always wondered how bloated the CBC is. They get a billion bucks on top of their advertising. And they just break even.

EDIT: By the way, that is 25% over CanWest's entire revenue, in pure cash.

Edited by geoffrey

No doubt. They should be coughing up the billion dollars a year to keep it going.

I always wondered how bloated the CBC is. They get a billion bucks on top of their advertising. And they just break even.

EDIT: By the way, that is 25% over CanWest's entire revenue, in pure cash.

Survey says that like 75% of Canadians would like continued funding of the CBC or higher levels of funding.

I hate the CBC with a passion.

Why is it that this many people in Canada support the CBC?

Ah i know.. the muggles think that if they lose funding, they wont be around anymore. That's not true of course, but since we cannot vote in propositions in Canada, the public will never become aware of this fact.

Sorry Mike, no deal.

Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

If I respond then this will become a biblical thread where we have 200 posts of us posting back and forther bible quotes to prove each other right and have 4 Dr's on the forum discussing in 2 posts their points becuase the response limit has been exceeded.

(very inside joke for those in the know)

I was making direct quotes about Isreal. You did not.

I realize that Mike. Just pointing out that your unserious call for to geurilla warfare over this would not be Christian. Since this is about a Christian Radio Station, I naturally assumed that this was who you were calling. I don't remember anything about the disciples forming a guerilla movement. They simply proclaimed the faith and were even killed for it.

Edited by jefferiah

Survey says that like 75% of Canadians would like continued funding of the CBC or higher levels of funding.

I hate the CBC with a passion.

Why is it that this many people in Canada support the CBC?

If someone had asked me 2 years ago "Would you like to continue funding of the CBC?" I would probably have said "Yes". I would have wondered "Is someone planning to stop the funding? Sure I think it should continue to exist."

This was all before I understood the arguments about it. How many people are aware of how much money goes into the CBC or how much profit they actually generate? How many people have actually been exposed to the idea of having it privatized and the arguments in favor of it? I never read about these things in the newspapers. I never hear the idea mentioned on TV (certainly not on CBC). Chances are, if you've been exposed to this idea, it was in a book written by a proponent of the free market or on some conservative blogger's site. Most people are not on political forums. The idea of CBC being left-leaning never even occured to me until a year ago, when someone began to point it out to me.

If you want to change those survey numbers you have to make the case to the general public. The reasoning behind it has to reach a wider audience than the Conservative bloggers.

It is the same with the CRTC. How many people, aside from people on our side of the spectrum, are even interested in what the CRTC does now? The last time I heard a major complaint about them from the average non-political citizen (guys like me) was when they were making cable companies include certain canadian channels years back. I remember many people complaining about that at the time. But when it passes people accept it, and then they forget.

How many people are aware of this Christian Radio case?

That's not true of course, but since we cannot vote in propositions in Canada, the public will never become aware of this fact.

Where on Earth can people vote on propositions binding on a Federal government? No where.

The propositions in the US have a similar concept in Canada for municiple issues. In Calgary, we've voted on flouride in the water, VLT's, stuff like that.

That's nonsense.

But I am with you on your disdain for the CBC. If not enough Canadians are willing to pay for it, then it should be cut. I don't expect people to cover any speciality channels I get (Fox Sportsworld is great, but should you pay for that because I like watching rugby and soccer that I can't get on Canadian channels?).