Enlightening Piece on Jordan Manners

This article gives a bit more of an accurate story about Jordan Manners than the media spin that we have been receiving.

Bruce Miles has a program called "Chillpower" also on Global TV, glad to see the story is

being set straight.

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/220731

The very day Jordan Manners was shot and killed, his homeroom teacher was anxious to call Jordan's mother and warn her about her son – again.

"I was going to call his mother that day," said Bruce Miles, a special education teacher at C.W. Jefferys Collegiate Institute, where Manners was gunned down 10 days ago, the first fatal shooting inside a Toronto school.

Hours before Manners was shot he had told Miles the world would be better off without police. One week before that, the same teacher recalled Manners flashing a wad of bills in class – one of many that earned him the nickname "Stackz."

And in early May, Miles had called Loreen Small for the first time to warn her that Jordan was heading down the wrong path – professing admiration for violent behaviour at Jefferys and disrupting classes.

Manners had already seen guns pointed at him "a couple of times" and could distinguish the different types, his teacher said.

This article gives a bit more of an accurate story about Jordan Manners than the media spin that we have been receiving.

Bruce Miles has a program called "Chillpower" also on Global TV, glad to see the story is

being set straight.

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/220731

The very day Jordan Manners was shot and killed, his homeroom teacher was anxious to call Jordan's mother and warn her about her son – again.

"I was going to call his mother that day," said Bruce Miles, a special education teacher at C.W. Jefferys Collegiate Institute, where Manners was gunned down 10 days ago, the first fatal shooting inside a Toronto school.

Hours before Manners was shot he had told Miles the world would be better off without police. One week before that, the same teacher recalled Manners flashing a wad of bills in class – one of many that earned him the nickname "Stackz."

And in early May, Miles had called Loreen Small for the first time to warn her that Jordan was heading down the wrong path – professing admiration for violent behaviour at Jefferys and disrupting classes.

Manners had already seen guns pointed at him "a couple of times" and could distinguish the different types, his teacher said.

But all the newspapers, the boy's family, the neighbourhood community and the school all said he was "such a nice boy"... nothing will ever change if all these people are in denial about the gang-cancer in their own families, neighbourhoods and community.

Teachers are the people who see our children day in and day out and should be aware of behaviour changes. We need teachers to be more aware and report odd behaviour to the parents.

Severe behaviour should be reported to the police or another social agency so they can intervene.

The crux of it is that the parents don't care that their sons are gangbangers, it's a status thing even in their minds.

Parents need to take a hard look at how they are raising their kids.

• 5 weeks later...

Some interesting points here indeed. Yes, teachers do see our children every day, so do parents (at least they should). I don't think all the onus should be placed on the teachers, it should be shared to a greater extent by the parents. I remember when the guy who shot the little girl in the head was sentenced in Toronto. His mother was outside wailing to the camera's about how good he was and how he was being persecuted because of his race. Pure delusional poppycock! He was, to put it simply, a worthless piece of sh*t who murdered a three year old girl because of a drug dispute. As long as parents submerge themselves in denial in order to shelter their precious little popet's from the law this problem will only continue to worsen.

Frankly I don't believe that Jordan Manners was pure as the driven snow as his familly and aquaintance's claim. I think it quite probable that he was a little gang banger in the making, if not already one. Our Youth Criminal Justice Act does nothing to rectify this problem and in fact may only serve to amplify the problem. I see no harm in getting tougher on youth crime. The opposite approach doesn't appear to be too effective at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to sound like a bleeding heart leftie... as I think we do need the power to be very hard on repeat youth offenders... but locking up kids like Jordan Manners would only have made the problem worse. Prisons, youth and adult, are full of gang culture. He was likely borderline gangster when he was killed. Locking him up would have made him a hardened gangster when he was released from prison.

Kids like this need help. This guy was getting to the age where he might have had no way back. Intervention was key. Once they kids are 17 or 18 it's time to start dealing with it differently, of course, but at 15, I think we'd still have a chance at fixing this guy up.