Why now?

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Rogers/Maclean...217349-mac.html

One has to ask themselves why we would kick out two old men that got caught up in a war that happened 60+ years ago. I think the folks in immigration should actually look at kicking out known terrorists 9with family members included) and those that supports terror instead of someone who actually succeeded in Canada and paid taxes. There are far more things to do in the immigration department than chase down 90+ year old men who are no threat to our countries security.

And if chasing terrorists and their supporters is too much for them, how about hunting those millions that went missing in Quebec under the Liberal Lie-a-thon that lasted 13 years. <WINK>

You think there should be a statute of limitations on crimes against humanity? Or just a statute on illegally entering canada?

""Why of course Dr Mengele, you have been here for 50 years...of course you can stay......"

You think there should be a statute of limitations on crimes against humanity? Or just a statute on illegally entering canada?

""Why of course Dr Mengele, you have been here for 50 years...of course you can stay......"

We have lots of war criminals and ex - or present terrorists in this country that the government has shown little or no interest in deporting, even those being sought by authorities in their own countries for crimes against humanity. Anyone in any way associated with Nazi attrocities fifty years ago gets booted, but some Somalian warlord who cut peoples heads off last year, or an ex hutu rebel who burned whole families alive can stay and be comforted by the proection of an uncaring government.

The Helmut Oberlander case is a perfect example of how hard it is to remove someone from Canada. This posting asks "why now?". But in fact, proceedings against Mr. Oberlander to strip him of his Canadian citizenship started in 1995. This was finally accomplished in 2000 but was subsequently overturned by the Federal Court of appeal in 2004. Now he's been stripped again. Whether the case against Mr. Oberlander has merit or not, it should not take 12 years to boot someone out. Proceedings against Jacob Fast were commenced in 1999. For those who might be inclined to relate these stories to "mean spirited" Conservatives, keep in mind that these cases were pursued by Liberal governments, for the most part.

We have lots of war criminals and ex - or present terrorists in this country that the government has shown little or no interest in deporting, even those being sought by authorities in their own countries for crimes against humanity. Anyone in any way associated with Nazi attrocities fifty years ago gets booted, but some Somalian warlord who cut peoples heads off last year, or an ex hutu rebel who burned whole families alive can stay and be comforted by the proection of an uncaring government.

I agree.

Whether 1 or 5000 slip through is irrelevant. Are we to give war criominals a pass just because others haven't been brought to justice?

How about I rob a bank....if I get caught, I will just say that there are others who haven't been found so don't hassle me.....

The Helmut Oberlander case is a perfect example of how hard it is to remove someone from Canada. This posting asks "why now?". But in fact, proceedings against Mr. Oberlander to strip him of his Canadian citizenship started in 1995. This was finally accomplished in 2000 but was subsequently overturned by the Federal Court of appeal in 2004. Now he's been stripped again. Whether the case against Mr. Oberlander has merit or not, it should not take 12 years to boot someone out. Proceedings against Jacob Fast were commenced in 1999. For those who might be inclined to relate these stories to "mean spirited" Conservatives, keep in mind that these cases were pursued by Liberal governments, for the most part.

This is exactly right. The problem lies in the process by which we rid ourselves of undesirables, including the warlords and human traffickers; we shouldn't complain that one is being deported, we should complain about how lackadaisical the whole system is.

I think we need a speedier way of deporting all that are undesireable entries. One of the problems that was blossomed by the Liberal Government was the safe guards put in place to protect immigrants. A single change in the law, that being removing the rights of immigrants from the normal right to appeal a ruling. This would solve most of our problems. I realize this is a little ratical, but we need to clean up the current mess that has us now wondering if that ratical terrorist living down the street that preaches hate will one day kill some, perhaps a family member. We need to stop being the nice guys and start being realistic about who stays and who goes.

I'm glad we dumped the Nazi's, but my original thought was that they are making such a huge event out of this, but I know of a few immigrants that celebrated the death of those on 911, yet they are still in Canada. Time to pack them up and move them out. No appeal, no delays. Just a Boeing 747 with a one way ticket.

If these 2 nazis could claim they would be tortured if returned to their country of origin, there's not a darned thing we could but allow them to stay. The bleeding hearts in this country would see to it.

In addition to getting rid of this garbage, making a big fuss over these cases may have a secondary effect. If terrorists and their abettors using this country to their advantage take note, they may conclude they are not as safe from expulsion as they first thought. You know, just to confuse them and shake their confidence.

Isn't there a Indonesian military coup murderer trying to get refugee status in Canada right now? If he succeeds, then I'd say there is a clear double standard....

I support the removal of these people, but I've often got to wonder if this is just some stunt when we allow so much other trash into our country.