Daylight Saving Time March 11 2007

Three weeks ealier this year

Remember,Spring forward, Fall back

During DST, clocks are turned forward an hour, effectively moving an hour of daylight from the morning to the evening.

Nunavut, with the exception of Southampton Island, which does not observe daylight time, will continue to change its clocks in April and October unless the territory changes its laws.

Most of Saskatchewan has not observed daylight time since 1966 and stays on Central Standard Time all year round. Some border towns follow the time schemes of their neighbours in Manitoba or Alberta.

In Canada, areas of Quebec east of 63 degrees west longitude do not change to daylight time and remain on Atlantic Standard Time year round. Pockets of Ontario and British Columbia do not use daylight time.

Of Interest.....

Spelling and grammar

The official spelling is Daylight Saving Time, not Daylight SavingS Time.

Saving is used here as a verbal adjective (a participle). It modifies time and tells us more about its nature; namely, that it is characterized by the activity of saving daylight. It is a saving daylight kind of time. Similar examples would be a mind expanding book or a man eating tiger. Saving is used in the same way as saving a ball game, rather than as a savings account.

Nevertheless, many people feel the word savings (with an 's') flows more mellifluously off the tongue. Daylight Savings Time is also in common usage, and can be found in dictionaries.

Adding to the confusion is that the phrase Daylight Saving Time is inaccurate, since no daylight is actually saved. Daylight Shifting Time would be better, but it is not as politically desirable.

Maybe it should really be called Dion Saving Time :)

So how the hell will I know what time it is everywhere if they don't all follow the rules? Very bad choice for businesses in those provinces that protest.

I'm definitely looking forward to having the extra how in the evening though, I propose DST all year around.

So this idea of the US which is getting Canadians all confused is somehow spun at the Liberals to blame. Typical.
Adding to the confusion is that the phrase Daylight Saving Time is inaccurate, since no daylight is actually saved. Daylight Shifting Time would be better, but it is not as politically desirable.

Too bad you were unable to read the bold portion of the quote, you might of understood the humour intended.

Liberal thinking......typical.

So this idea of the US which is getting Canadians all confused is somehow spun at the Liberals to blame. Typical.

So Daniel, your YL Liberal buddies have provided you with a bash the US talking point. Good good.

Extending DST is aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions. I thought that was a good thing.

Maybe you could get Stéphane to ask Kyoto. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Nah, I wish we extended it all year around. Why not have it in the winter too.
If they don't make it year round they should make it symetrical with the winter solstice, i.e. start roughly eight weeks after December 21, or roughly the third Sunday in February, and go back to "Standard Time" arouind October 21, or roughly eight weeks prior to December 21.

As a sidenote, I wonder why they call something "Standard Time" which now applies less than 1/3 of the year. Even prior to the most recent changes, "Standard Time" applied to approximately 5/12 of the year, or less than half.