Harper Again

Harper to make $200 million aid announcement

OTTAWA - Prime Minister Stephen Harper will announce about $200 million in reconstruction aid for Afghanistan in an effort to demonstrate that Canada’s mission there is making a positive difference in people’s lives.

200 Million ay?

Add that to the billion Harper gave to the American lumber companies

I find this interesting..

It comes in the final phase of a frosty Afghan winter, and a relative peace that’s expected to melt over the coming weeks as pro-Taliban fighters descend from the mountains to resume their bloody insurgency.

Before those dispiriting images of flag-draped coffins return to Canadian television sets, the prime minister hopes to remind the country of the more uplifting things being accomplished.

So,what I take that to mean is this.

Dont worry about dead Canadians coming home killed for no good reason,because Canadian tax dollars rebuilt a school or two in Afghanistan

Dont worry that parts of the Trans Canada Highway in BC are dubbed the killer highway because of the condition they are in,your tax dollars are being used to make nice roads in Afghanistan

“I would like to see them build schools and clinics,” Bismalah, a farmer whose land outside Kandahar was overrun with fighting last fall, told The Canadian Press.

“They are broken and destroyed.”

Meanwhile because of underfunding schools are closing in Canada,hospitals are struggling due to under funding in Canada.

But hey,a new school was built in Kabul with your tax dollars

Funny.Right wingers have always been dead against foreign aid,they think people with brown skin cant be trusted,but odd as it may seem,they have no problen with a billion plus some dollars going to help brown skinned people in a foreign country

Odd

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/st...66ae90e&k=57050

I thought people on the left were making the argument that more money should go towards foreign aid, not right wingers.

So now does this mean people on the left are against foreign aid, and people on the right are for foreign aid.

Stop trolling imatitlover, all this is meant to do is inflame people, once again go to rabble.ca were such irrational and juvenile debate is welcome.

Funny.Right wingers have always been dead against foreign aid,they think people with brown skin cant be trusted,but odd as it may seem,they have no problen with a billion plus some dollars going to help brown skinned people in a foreign country

Odd

Odd is right.

Have you been drinking? You make no sense whatsoever with this thread.Better go lie down for awhile.

So now does this mean people on the left are against foreign aid, and people on the right are for foreign aid.

Stop trolling imatitlover, all this is meant to do is inflame people, once again go to rabble.ca were such irrational and juvenile debate is welcome.

The left wouldn't have any problem handing a few billion over to some African dictators.

Yeah it's kind of mind numbing that now apparently the right wingers support foriegn aid and the left wingers don't. Atleast that is what I got from the post.

I cannot discern if this is new money or not. Jean Poutine directed me towards some aid figures a few months back regarding aid committments towards Afghanistan over ten years. If it is another boost in aid on top of previous announcements then that is positive for Afghanistan.

EDIT: It does appear like it is new money.

The left wouldn't have any problem handing a few billion over to some African dictators.

The right wouldn't have any problem arming Arab dictators with Biological and Chemical weapons either.

Governments have handed money over to African dictators for decades. It's called "exploitation" or "interests" take your pick. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Governments are bought and Dictators go sour. In the midst of this are the people not benefiting from these policies and also getting ripped off by Dictators on both ends of the spectrum.

Well actually that has always been the job for the American government.African,middle East,South American.

You name it.The American government has supported a dictator somewhere who has killed a few hundred thousand people so the Americans can get what they want

And once again Blue Canadian is not being truthful.

I didnt say if I approve or not of helping Afghanistan build a road.

I simply said for years right wingers have condemed foeign aid,have said you cant trust brown people from the middle east ,have said we should be fixing our own problems here in Canada first.

Now suddenly the war mongers are all in favour of spending a few hundred million fixing someone elses schools hospitals and roads while at the same time still complaining about things right here in Canada

So let me get this straight, your angry that Harper is giving foreign aid, because usually people on the right oppose foreign aid.

Then in this case wouldn't you support Stephen Harpers announcement.

Now suddenly the war mongers are all in favour of spending a few hundred million fixing someone elses schools hospitals and roads while at the same time still complaining about things right here in Canada

I think more people on the left have been complaining on the state of education, health care, and infrastructure, here in Canada. I would tend to agree with them.

Hey BayLee / Tit Lover

You have me completely confused.

Right wing guy sends aide to a foreign country and you are unhappy.

Left wing guy sends money to foreign country and lefties are happy.

So which is it - a little clarity would really help.

Borg

Hey BayLee / Tit Lover

Borg

Hey haven't you noticed?

Left wing guy sends money to foreign country and rightwingers are unhappy.

Right wing guy sends aide to a foreign country and they are unhappy.

But it's the Right wing guys who criticize "throwing money at problems", who preach efficiency, do more with less, hand-up not a hand-out.

So the rightwing guys have recently been acting like the left wing guys they used to criticize.

Hey BayLee / Tit Lover

Borg

Hey haven't you noticed?

But it's the Right wing guys who criticize "throwing money at problems", who preach efficiency, do more with less, hand-up not a hand-out.

So the rightwing guys have recently been acting like the left wing guys they used to criticize.

Harper is leader of a minority govenrmnent for one thing. Secondly, this money is also part of a military strategy, not just fruitless aid for the sake of feeling good.

Hey haven't you noticed?

While the leftwing guys have been acting like the rightwing guys criticizing foreign aid. Either way, it's all partisan BS to me, and it doesn't really bother me much, I've never lobbied again foreign aid.