Lawyer gravy train?

Is Tim Danson, ("lawyer for the French and Mahafy families") getting paid by the Legal Aid plan to shoot his mouth off every time the media takes notice of Karla Homulka? I sure hope not.

And if the "families" are paying him I wonder what value they are getting from it.

And if he's doing it pro bono, he should put his effort into something productive instead.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't you heard of Karla Homolka?

Yes, but I don't see where your comments are coming from. The victim's families lawyer is unethical or something? Huh?

I don't get what you don't get.

Every time the media takes notice of Homolka (as recently) up pops this Danson guy to blither about how wicked she is. We all know she's wicked, so I hope he's not getting paid on the public teat (or indeed at all) for such a pointless activity.

I met Carla & Paul when I lived in St Catharines selling TV's for Granada as a kid.

Carla & Paul came in to look at consoles. Paul said he wanted a console and was being a big shot so I asked him how he was going to pay for it and he said cash. So I excused myself from the show room to have a look in the stock room to see what we had so that I could decide what to sell him.

To get to the stock room I had to walk through two of our offices. Those two pieces of crap actually followed me through the offices into the stock room. I told them to leave the store. I never saw anyone do that before. Really really wierd- the guy acted like he owned the place. Having met them I have also read the books about the case.

That lawyer is probably just getting publicity. These middle class people cannot afford a lawyer to work for them like that - only other lawyers can afford that.

I don't get what you don't get.

Every time the media takes notice of Homolka (as recently) up pops this Danson guy to blither about how wicked she is. We all know she's wicked, so I hope he's not getting paid on the public teat (or indeed at all) for such a pointless activity.

Well, uh, some context would be nice.

Like, what did Danson say, and when and in what context did Danson say it?

As Danson has a long-term involvement with the Bernardo/Homolka circus, it seems to me that people in the press would probably seek him out for a comment whenever Karla pops up in the news.

And it seems likely to me that he probably has strong opinions regarding Homolka whether he's "on the clock" or not.

-k

{how can Karla travel internationally? and how'd she have a baby? what kind of jackass would father a child with *that*?}

I think Hololka did the killings. She wanted to give Paul gifts of young women. Paul just wanted to rape them. He wasn't a killer until Karla came along.

I think Danson is probably getting paid from the public teat although he does benefit from the publicity. You can never trust a lawyer in Canada because its virtually impossible to hold them responsible for their actions. He is probably double billing for his services.

As Danson has a long-term involvement with the Bernardo/Homolka circus, it seems to me that people in the press would probably seek him out for a comment whenever Karla pops up in the news.

-k

{how can Karla travel internationally? and how'd she have a baby? what kind of jackass would father a child with *that*?}

I am of the belief that Danson is contacted by the media for a sound bite so that the same media does not have to contact the Mahaffey family for a quote. It is for the good of the families that Danson is around, and frankly I dont think he cares if he is paid for this. It would be a matter of a phone call or media scrum.

As for Karla travelling, I have no idea and would be interested in knowing how she can.

She had a baby because one night this man and this woman had some wine and then... ;) j/k Kimmy.

Sadly, I know plenty of people , whooops, I mean men , who while openly thinking she is certifiably nuts , thought nothing of saying.." I'd hit it" . Will always be thus.

I think Hololka did the killings. She wanted to give Paul gifts of young women. Paul just wanted to rape them. He wasn't a killer until Karla came along.

And you know this HOW?

LINKS

Because he(PolyNewbie) has the right to think and you don't need a link to think

Now that was inteligent

Are you sure you are not C B?

Is Tim Danson, ("lawyer for the French and Mahafy families") getting paid by the Legal Aid plan to shoot his mouth off every time the media takes notice of Karla Homulka? I sure hope not.

And if the "families" are paying him I wonder what value they are getting from it.

And if he's doing it pro bono, he should put his effort into something productive instead.

I don't know if the families are paying him, but they definitely get some value from it. Whenever Karla Homolka pops up in the news, the media wants some sort of statement from the families - its much better for them to go through the lawyer than to have to speak themselves.

The element of this story that is, IMHO, the bigger issue is the nurses who refused to assist in the delivery of the baby. No matter what their personal feelings on the case are, they can't turn away a patient in need.

Canada.com

A Montreal hospital is investigating allegations that one or more of its staff members may have refused care to Karla Homolka before she gave birth to a baby boy last Saturday, the president of Quebec's professional nurses order said Friday.

I think Danson is probably getting paid from the public teat although he does benefit from the publicity. You can never trust a lawyer in Canada because its virtually impossible to hold them responsible for their actions. He is probably double billing for his services.

You may want to consult your own counsel about the law of slander and libel.

You have less than nothing to accuse Mr. Danson of "double billing" or any other such unethical behavior.

Perhaps you should contact him directly and make your baseless allegations...that is if you have any personal integrity:

Law Society of Upper Canada

Be sure to let us know how that turns out for you.

As to your statement that "[y]ou can never trust a lawyer in Canada" I beg to differ. The vast majority of Canadian lawyers are reliable professionals, and your comment is not only juvenile but unfair.

FTA

FTALawyer:You have less than nothing to accuse Mr. Danson of "double billing" or any other such unethical behavior.

I just assume lawyers are corrupt because of my experience. So when I see a lawyer I automatically assume that they are criminals based on what the law society is prepared to do about criminal behaviour by lawyers. I know they sanction criminal behaviour of their colleagues.

If you have a problem with that then its up to you to do something about it.

FTALawyer:You have less than nothing to accuse Mr. Danson of "double billing" or any other such unethical behavior.

I didn't accuse anyone of anything. I just said that because of the profession he is in he could be doing it because he could certainly get away with it. Who would be able to report it ?

FTA Lawyer:Be sure to let us know how that turns out for you.
(re contacting Law Society)

I would never call the law society on a corrupt lawyer. They are just there to protect lawyers from the public. They knowingly allow lawyers to commit crimes.

FTA Lawyer: As to your statement that "[y]ou can never trust a lawyer in Canada" I beg to differ. The vast majority of Canadian lawyers are reliable professionals, and your comment is not only juvenile but unfair.

The fact that you cannot report lawyers for commiting crimes - you cannot even file a report !!!! So they can do whatever they want. Given that I safely assume lawyers are criminals because they are allowed to be if they want to be.

Its perfectly fair. You have a secret organization that self governs lawyers. You deserve to be judged by the actions of youtr colleagues. I judge all lawyers by the actions of their colleagues.

FTALawyer:The vast majority of Canadian lawyers are reliable professionals, and your comment is not only juvenile but unfair.

I don't believe that based on what the law society lets lawyers get away with and the fact that the law society destroys records of reported wrong doing by lawyers. This way when someone calls the law society to ask about a lawyer they can say "we have nothing on record" when in reality the guy may have fleeced a pile of clients only a few years prior and the records have just been destroyed.

I just assume lawyers are corrupt because of my experience. So when I see a lawyer I automatically assume that they are criminals based on what the law society is prepared to do about criminal behaviour by lawyers. I know they sanction criminal behaviour of their colleagues.

If you have a problem with that then its up to you to do something about it.

I didn't accuse anyone of anything. I just said that because of the profession he is in he could be doing it because he could certainly get away with it. Who would be able to report it ?

FTA Lawyer:Be sure to let us know how that turns out for you.
(re contacting Law Society)

I would never call the law society on a corrupt lawyer. They are just there to protect lawyers from the public. They knowingly allow lawyers to commit crimes.

FTA Lawyer: As to your statement that "[y]ou can never trust a lawyer in Canada" I beg to differ. The vast majority of Canadian lawyers are reliable professionals, and your comment is not only juvenile but unfair.

The fact that you cannot report lawyers for commiting crimes - you cannot even file a report !!!! So they can do whatever they want. Given that I safely assume lawyers are criminals because they are allowed to be if they want to be.

Its perfectly fair. You have a secret organization that self governs lawyers. You deserve to be judged by the actions of youtr colleagues. I judge all lawyers by the actions of their colleagues.

Okay, do you have any shreds of evidence to support your sweeping views on the perfidy of all lawyers, or can we just chalk this up to ranting?

Okay, do you have any shreds of evidence to support your sweeping views on the perfidy of all lawyers, or can we just chalk this up to ranting?

There are over 20,000 lawyers practising in Ontario. There are 8 lawyers that supervise them for ethics. The rest of us have at least 20 - 40 cops for 20,000 people.

I also know that when people file personal injury suits against corporations or doctors and they have a case their lawyer will do everything unethical that is possible to prevent the case from getting into courts. There have been cases when a semi detached trailer (one or more) have been sent to opposing council with the idea that by the time the opposing council digs through the papers to find what he requested his client is broke. This is the legal system we have. There is nothing noble, honorable or distinguished about it. Its just a bunch of weasels robbing everyone.

Mainstream press has talked about money laundering by lawyers many times. How many have been arrested ?

You can look at Law Society Of Upper Canada statistics. They only investigate a small percentage of complaints - about 1 %.

My own experience in which I have named names, dates and places and have been asked by mod not to do this.

I think lawyers should be treated the same way they treat the public. The fact is that I automatically assume any lawyer that I meet to be a lying manipulative gutless little money grubbing weasel until they prove otherwise.