What's wrong with our parliament?

Democratic reform, anyone? Seriously, this is not acceptable. Something is wrong.

Realistic proposal?

Step one is admitting that there is a problem.

Maybe it's simply a matter of electing different people? You'd think that we would have learned by now. That's what makes me think there must be a problem at the heart of the system. Any suggestions from the rest of you?

Step one is admitting that there is a problem.

What a profound response. :rolleyes:

Any suggestions from the rest of you?

One suggestion I would make is to move to a primary system for nominations.

This could be modelled on one of a number of the different systems that exist in the US. Either have people register at tax time for the party they want to support or have open primaries.

This would prevent leaders from appointing candidates and give people a chance to replace an MP when they have outlived their usefulness but represent a *safe* riding...

Has democracy become a team sport? We watch and participate in elections in the hopes that our favourite team will win. The work in parliament becomes a game where each team is trying to 'win' in some way. The problem is that when they win, Canadians lose out.

Exactly what I was thinking, I think the problem is that they are rewarded for this behaviour. We need to reform the system so that the only way to "win" is to benefit the largest number of citizens. How we would do that....I don't know.

• 2 months later...

Has democracy become a team sport? We watch and participate in elections in the hopes that our favourite team will win. The work in parliament becomes a game where each team is trying to 'win' in some way. The problem is that when they win, Canadians lose out.

Exactly what I was thinking, I think the problem is that they are rewarded for this behaviour. We need to reform the system so that the only way to "win" is to benefit the largest number of citizens. How we would do that....I don't know.

I'm digging this up - I thought I'd suggest a thought.

We need a system where people are rewarded for benefiting the largest number of citizens, right?

Free Market Capitalism is the answer. When you provide a good or service, people will trade with you. They benefit, and you are rewarded for it. John Stossel mentions this in his speech seen here. When you go to a grocery store and buy a jug of milk, you have this weird 'thank you thank you' moment. You say thank you because you want the milk more than you want your dollar, and the clerk says thank you because they want your dollar more than they want their milk. Free Market in action.

Is that not a system in which people can only benefit if they reward the greatest number of people? Could it be that this is the answer?

This is the answer that has been screaming out to me ever since began forming my current political opinions. I'm wondering if any of you see it this way.

I'm digging this up - I thought I'd suggest a thought.

We need a system where people are rewarded for benefiting the largest number of citizens, right?

Free Market Capitalism is the answer. When you provide a good or service, people will trade with you. They benefit, and you are rewarded for it. John Stossel mentions this in his speech seen here. When you go to a grocery store and buy a jug of milk, you have this weird 'thank you thank you' moment. You say thank you because you want the milk more than you want your dollar, and the clerk says thank you because they want your dollar more than they want their milk. Free Market in action.

Is that not a system in which people can only benefit if they reward the greatest number of people? Could it be that this is the answer?

This is the answer that has been screaming out to me ever since began forming my current political opinions. I'm wondering if any of you see it this way.

Is there a transcript of Mr.Stossel's speach available anywhere?

We already have a free market system in politics as well as the economy. Various party's vie for votes. Those that are satisfied with the party will vote for it. Those unsatisfied vote for another party that they think will be more responsive to thier needs. The consumer chooses and society benefits.

Economically, there's lots of different milk in the coolers of supermarkets. Lots of choice. Same with gasoline stations -lots of choice there. Cigarettes too. and booze. and beer. and cars. and TV's. and computers....

We already have all these things.

The consumer chooses and society benefits.

Economically, there's lots of different milk in the coolers of supermarkets. Lots of choice. Same with gasoline stations -lots of choice there. Cigarettes too. and booze. and beer. and cars. and TV's. and computers....

We already have all these things.

Not in government. See below...

We already have a free market system in politics as well as the economy. Various party's vie for votes. Those that are satisfied with the party will vote for it. Those unsatisfied vote for another party that they think will be more responsive to thier needs.

Here's the big difference. In shopping, you 'vote' for which products you want, and you get those products. In government, you vote for which leader you want to represent you and... well, you get whatever the majority decides. (Or the biggest minority in many cases)

What if when you were shopping your only choice of food was between the Conservative Fun Pack or the Liberal Party Mix. And no matter what you chose, you would get whatever the greatest number of people supported.

Sure, sometimes we have it both ways by having an opposition government and so on. But regionally if 5,000 people vote for one group, it doesn't matter in the end because 5,100 people voted for the other group. We're all stuck with the Conservative Fun Pack... A lot of people wanted it, but a lot more people are stuck with the choice made by the largest minority.

So, what am I saying? I'm saying that there exists a system in which people are rewarded for benefitting others - and then there's politics, the bloodsport which people weirdly seem to enjoy at their own expense by letting tax dollars and freedoms fly out the window in the process.