Globalization And Jobs

Hello All,

I just finished reading an article on the job rate in the US which also talked about Globalization and competition from developing nations.

The article is called:

"The threat of the job-is-worth-less recovery"
by Jim Jubak.

You can read it at: http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/P62365.asp

Please spare the usual left/right lecture and tell me what you think.

Has anybody read End of Work by Jeremy Rifkin?

I think that in the future (don't know how long - 1000years?) there will no longer be countries but that we are only citizens to corporations. There will be health care, dental care, education, housing etc except only through group insurance and employee plans and programs.

Hello All,

I just finished reading an article on the job rate in the US which also talked about Globalization and competition from developing nations.

The article is called:

"The threat of the job-is-worth-less recovery"
by Jim Jubak.

You can read it at: http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/P62365.asp

Please spare the usual left/right lecture and tell me what you think.

I read the article and although I doubt not the info creditability I do thankfully come away with a bit differing opinion than the writer had.

To say $36,000 jobs are being replaced with $19,000 jobs because of job created vs. job loss is giving the impression that people lose the big one today and take the little tomorrow. This of course, though possible, is not likly. In the better paid sector to many people are allowed to live on the gov for way to long for this scenario.

I personally doubt that these $19000 jobs are being filled by anyone who has worked in the last several months, unless they are moving up.

if you believe tradition has outlived its usefulness welcome to globalization and competitiveness. the decline of job security has led people to reexamine their priorities with new trade-offs that is differing from the regular job security.

i believe folks are looking for better signals such as reduced turnovers, valued performance and opportunities or lack of opportunities thereof within company operations when making choices.

companies need to adopt to changing environments, and the more global the economies is the need to repositioning of human talent that should be included long term planning strategies.

a need also exist to establish core competencies of management – diverse and cross-cultural training and mainly planning for a seamless system that bridges functions, geography, and hierarchy

some companies do regular transfers, assignment mobility, and supervisorless groups backed by computer communication technology (matrix model) to access management coaching and support somewhere else are paradigm shifts seen

but retension of talents are key however you are doing it

international firms moving towards multinational operations are mostly confronted with control issues, and communications not to mention real issue of cost-effectiveness

research tries to encourage change but conventional wisdom still continues to prevail