Schools

PaulQ

Hi there

Im not an adult looking to throw my two cents in about how our country is being run

I'm a high school kid with a pet peeve.

I've have noticed that my school and other schools in my area seem to be endorsing company products and practically forcing students to buy these products.

For example, at my school we must purchase locks from the school, we are not allowed to use our own. Im going to ask the vice-principles the reason for this but i dont see why we cannot bring in our own. The locks they supply have key holes in the back yet the school never uses them, they just cut locks off if they student cannot open their locker, hence why can we not use our own locks then?

Another example, some students are being sent home because they do not have the "official" Brand name dress pants made by the company who supplies our uniforms. Now if the pants the students have look almost identicle to the brand name pants, why can we not wear them? the purpose of the uniform is to create a sense of equality amongst the student body and to keep out intruders, if i'm not mistaken. But if the pants are just lacking a little tag on the back pocket that says <Brand Name> and costs roughyl $50, why can we not go an buy an identicle pair for $10? without the little tag?

I feel the school is ripping off it's students. Schools are ment to teach not drain famalies of money for stupid expenses.

This really irritates me and i want to get involved and try and put a stop to this. How can i make a difference and make myself heard.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

P.S. Sorry if this post doesnt belong on this forum but i'm not sure where else to post a question like this.

Go against the school policy- buy you're own lock and buy a knock-off pair of pants. When you are reprimanded, contact any or all of the following: media (especially the CBC or any I-team), MP, MLA (or equivalent), school board trustees. I would make sure to get a note 'for your parents' on why they are sending you home, to show it later as proof. I would also ensure that you have real proof, not just witnesses, that they cut the locks no matter what. CBC and I-Team news crews love little stories like this. Also, if the political reps in your area don't have time for you go to the local NDP office (activists and bleeding hearts get off on this kinda thing)

Chances are the government funding for public schools in your area is so meager than the school(s) are forced to look for corporate funding. In return, corporations look for endorsements of their own products or even to hold a monopoly to be the official supplier of some products students may need. In one case, Pepsi funded a certain school so only Pepsi vending machines were allowed on school property. A student was reprimanded by the school when he showed up wearing a Coca-cola t-shirt. (Or was it the other way around with the Coke sponsor and the Pepsi t-shirt?)

Folks, this is one happens when governments deliver tax-cuts they can't afford. Our kids and parents end up paying for them for generations to come.

And privatization is supposed to give you more choice?

I am not big on "students rights" . Up until a child reaches the age of majority, they are ultimately under their parents authority. . The parents then delgate some of that autority to the schools , expecting them to effect proper discipline and keep order during the day. If parents object to something a school is doing, then they should complain to the school's governing board (Which consists of other parents) or ultimately to the school board itself. That said, I'll address your concerns as I see them.

While I am VERY strongly in favour of uniforms in public schools, the rule must be enforced in such a way that all families can comply without breaking the bank. My daughter's school basicaly says that the kids mus wear navy pants (or tunics/skirts for girls) and a white top, with a collar. They can have either a red or navy cardigan. While the school does offer cloting that qualifies as uniform, at not unreasonable prices, the option is left to the parents as to where they purchase said clothing, be it at garage sales, or Sears.

Locks are another issue. School authorities must be provided with a way to get into a locker. Sorry, i don't believe that a student has the right to privacy, in a day and age where weapons and drugs are commonplace. But it is not unreasonable for them to ask you to buy a certain lock, unless there is a master key. To make you buy their lock, which they would proceed to cut to open is not acceptable.

As for school supplies, I don't object to them insisting on certn brands for teh sake of uniformity. Our experience has been that the school insists on middle of the road brands, so the expense is easy to bear, and that there is no envy for the kid with the Prismacolour pencils rather than the Laurentian or Crayola.

Now I do NOT object to companies who choose, for tax purposes and free advrtising to supply their productst o the schools, especially things that keep the fees we are charged for consumables to a minimum either.