Noam Chomsky Meets With Hizbullah Leaders in Lebanon

This guys a real turd, he should stay over there if he sympathizes with terrorism so much.

http://www.memri.org/bin/opener_latest.cgi?ID=SD116506

U.S. Linguist Noam Chomsky Meets With Hizbullah Leaders in Lebanon

According to Hizbullah's Al-Manar TV network, Professor Noam Chomsky of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) visited Hizbullah headquarters this week, meeting with the organization's secretary-general Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah in a Beirut suburb as well as with other Hizbullah leaders. The U.S. State Department lists Hizbullah as a "terrorist organization." [1] It should be noted that Sheikh Nasrallah frequently calls for the destruction of the U.S. [2]

On May 13, 2006, Professor Chomsky was quoted by Al-Manar as saying, "Hizbullah's insistence on keeping its arms is justified... I think Nasrallah has a reasoned argument and [a] persuasive argument that they [the arms] should be in the hands of Hizbullah as a deterrent to potential aggression, and there is plenty of background reasons for that. So until, I think his position [is] reporting it correctly and it seems to me [a] reasonable position, is that until there is a general political settlement in the region, [and] the threat of aggression and violence is reduced or eliminated, there has to be a deterrent, and the Lebanese army can't be a deterrent."

Al-Manar goes on to state, "When asked about the U.S. list of terrorist states, he [Chomsky] said [that] if the U.S. was to stick to the clear and precise definition of terrorism in its code of laws, it would be the leading terrorist state." [3]

During his visit to Lebanon, Chomsky also spoke at the Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud Center for American Studies and Research at the American University of Beirut. [4]

The following are excerpts from a report on Lebanese New TV about a meeting in Lebanon between American linguist Prof. Noam Chomsky and Hizbullah leaders. [5] TO VIEW THIS CLIP:

http://www.memritv.org/search.asp?ACT=S9&P1=1136 .

Anchor: "The leftist Jewish American intellectual Noam Chomsky toured Al-Khiyam Prison at the end of his visit to Lebanon. He declared that the victory achieved by the resistance is a victory for all the peoples that fight injustice and oppression."

This guys a real turd, he should stay over there if he sympathizes with terrorism so much.

http://www.memri.org/bin/opener_latest.cgi?ID=SD116506

U.S. Linguist Noam Chomsky Meets With Hizbullah Leaders in Lebanon

According to Hizbullah's Al-Manar TV network, Professor Noam Chomsky of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) visited Hizbullah headquarters this week, meeting with the organization's secretary-general Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah in a Beirut suburb as well as with other Hizbullah leaders. The U.S. State Department lists Hizbullah as a "terrorist organization." [1] It should be noted that Sheikh Nasrallah frequently calls for the destruction of the U.S. [2]

On May 13, 2006, Professor Chomsky was quoted by Al-Manar as saying, "Hizbullah's insistence on keeping its arms is justified... I think Nasrallah has a reasoned argument and [a] persuasive argument that they [the arms] should be in the hands of Hizbullah as a deterrent to potential aggression, and there is plenty of background reasons for that. So until, I think his position [is] reporting it correctly and it seems to me [a] reasonable position, is that until there is a general political settlement in the region, [and] the threat of aggression and violence is reduced or eliminated, there has to be a deterrent, and the Lebanese army can't be a deterrent."

Al-Manar goes on to state, "When asked about the U.S. list of terrorist states, he [Chomsky] said [that] if the U.S. was to stick to the clear and precise definition of terrorism in its code of laws, it would be the leading terrorist state." [3]

During his visit to Lebanon, Chomsky also spoke at the Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud Center for American Studies and Research at the American University of Beirut. [4]

The following are excerpts from a report on Lebanese New TV about a meeting in Lebanon between American linguist Prof. Noam Chomsky and Hizbullah leaders. [5] TO VIEW THIS CLIP:

http://www.memritv.org/search.asp?ACT=S9&P1=1136 .

Anchor: "The leftist Jewish American intellectual Noam Chomsky toured Al-Khiyam Prison at the end of his visit to Lebanon. He declared that the victory achieved by the resistance is a victory for all the peoples that fight injustice and oppression."

Why? Is talking with our philosophical opponents not more likely to produce peace than simply refusing to talk, and raising our fists?

I for one believe the most profound insights come from debate with our ideological enemies. I believe, conversely, that it is insanity to NOT talk with our opponents. How would the Cold War have ended if the diplomats didn't talk?

More importantly, MEMRI (the source of the article) is well known for cherry-picking the most outrageous reporting from across the Middle East and presenting it to a Western audience as though it were the standard. I would suggest that while Chomsky met with Hezbollah, he hardly made the remarks you quoted. Here's some criticism of MEMRI for you, its interesting reading. The lens with which we see the world can often be clouded by invisible hands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MEMRI (specifically, check the section under Controversy and Factual Errors)