Is the Pope on crack?

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/world/060520/w052050.html

Is this guy crazy?

He is talking as though Canada's low birth rate is bad and is resulting from the "pervasive effects of secularism".

Doesn't he realize the earth's resources are finite?

Thank "god" for secularism!

Most of our resources are renewable. For those which are not, we merely need to substitute others.

There is nothing wrong with a shepherd being concerned that his flock is not reproducing itself, is not growing in size, but contrarily, is getting smaller and smaller. There are nations today which will fade and die if they don't do something about their low birth rate. People get teary eyed over the disappearance of some minor aboriginal tribe in New Guinea, but how about the last Italian dying off?

Argus, show me one country that actually has a declining population.

They're all growing: http://globalis.gvu.unu.edu/

The Italian wolf is facing extinction.

Italian people? They are increasing.

The Italian birth rate of 1.2 is nowhere near enough (2.1 is minimum) to even replace themselves.

Europe's low birth rates

Humans have taken way more than their share of the planet's resources in my opinion.

Why would you worry about the possible extinction of the Italian wolf but shrug off the possible extinction of Italians?

Why would you worry about the possible extinction of the Italian wolf but shrug off the possible extinction of Italians?
There will never be a time when there are no people living in Italy. However, there could be a time when the people living in Italy have no genetic connection to the people living in Italy today. Some might claim that 'Italian' culture would disappear as a result. I don't believe so - Italian culture will change but change is not necessarily bad or good - it is just different.

Riverwind

You wrote- " I don't believe so- Italion culture will change is not necessarily bad or good -it's just different."

I don't know how anyone can pass the 'absense of genuine genic culture' as easily as you can, which tells me you have little or no loyality and dedication concerning your home country of your nationality and residece.

The last thing I want to see is our Canadian culture (including the genitic aspect) sold out to a pile of foreigners who refuse to leave their own culture at home and change the cultural fabric of our country to accommodae theirs.

This is all the result of a federal government not applying enough resources or control to encourage (in our case) Canadians to have more children so our genetics, customs, traditons and interest remain Canadian.

Our federal government has sold out Canadian families by exploiting them to accomplish a cheaper version of reproduction 'new immigration' (rather than support Canadian family aspirations) and even worse under the title 'official multiculturalism' which is only a stop gap solution and will present many new complex problems in the future with the type of immigration Canada is resorting to.

The excuse this country must grow to accomodate pensions etc. is false as Canadians if forced to can resort to private plans of one sort or another to subzidize existing social government plans. The government wants this country to grow to accommodate their rich friends and NOT to accommodate the citizen's of Canada.

The Pope to a point is correct that secularism shifts the onus off of family to incorporate greed to accomplish a more materialistic ( to some sexual lifestyle) that focus on individual satisfaction rather than the pleasures of simple family life.

Dear Leafless,

The Pope to a point is correct that secularism shifts the onus off of family to incorporate greed to accomplish a more materialistic ( to some sexual lifestyle) that focus on individual satisfaction rather than the pleasures of simple family life.
Well said. From a pragmatic viewpoint, 'that's just the way it is'. From a 'pope-ular' viewpoint, it's wrong. I am not religious, but I don't think it's good either.