Exposing the Private Healthcare Industry

I came across a pamphlet put out by the Polaris Institute that brings up some very good points in the arguments against private healthcare.

Polaris Institute Website

I tried to find it online but was unsuccessful, so instead I'm scanning it. Always a sceptic, I did a little more research into the claims, so will interject my sources whenever possible. Bold lettering represents the actual wording from the pamphlet, entitled:

Exposing the Private Healthcare Industry

By: Tony Clarke, Director, Polaris Institute

Mr. Clarke and his partner Maude Barlow have written extensively on the subject. A few additional websites:

http://www.rightlivelihood.org/recip/2005/...-and-clarke.htm

http://www.writersunion.ca/b/barlow.htm

The Canadian public Medicare system is at serious risk. Many governments and corporations are pushing for a more and more privatized system, while others, including much of the public, want Medicare to remain a publicly funded and administered right for all Canadians. The great Canadian Healthcare debate is now well underway.

All across the country, the advocates for a public system of universal healthcare are dueling it out with those calling for greater privatization leading to a two-tiered healthcare system. The federal government’s commission on healthcare, chaired by former Saskatchewan Premier Roy Romanow, appears to have become the rallying point for the first camp while the Senate commission on healthcare, chaired by Senator Michael Kirby, has been the galvanizing center for much of the second camp.

My original 'Ducks in a Row' thread, mentions some of the corporations, but the above paragraph from the pamphlet adds another duck to the Harper cabinet.

In his report, Roy Romanow states : "After carefully reviewing the available evidence- hard facts, not unproven assumptions- I also make the case in my report that Medicare is sustainable if we want it to be, that historically, single-payer health systems have proven to be significantly more cost-efficient than alternative approaches, and that despite the sometimes over-heated rhetoric, Canada's health outcomes remain among world's best."

Romanow's Defense of Public Healthcare

Michael Kirby's Report.

What I find interesting in what Mr. Clarke refers to as the 'second camp' can be found in the heading. 'Chair: The Honourable Michael J.L. Kirby Deputy Chair: The Honourable Marjory LeBreton. The Deputy Chair from this second camp is none other than a Harper cabinet minister - Marjory Lebreton. And hmmm....Ms. LeBreton is in charge of what, again? Oh yeah....The Senate. Just a coincidence, I'm sure.

Back to the pamphlet:

Yet, the federal government appears to have already abandoned the goal of a publicly delivered, universal healthcare system. Over the past quarter century, the 50/50 funding formula between the federal and provincial governments has been steadily eroding. The federal share dropped to 42 percent under the Trudeau government, then to 33 percent under the Mulroney government, and down to 23.5 percent under the Chrétien government, reaching as low as 10.5 percent at one point.

This validates what I have already said - governments prior to Mr. Harper's have brought us to the edge of the cliff and the PM is now about to push us off.

Again, I have to go back to the Reform Party of Canada and the National Citizens' Coalition: Mr. Harper was one of the founding members of the Reform Party (read his bio) - wrote policy for the party which he says: “the agenda of the NCC was a guide to me,” - and former NCC president, David Somerville says that Harper: “cribbed probably two-thirds of our policy book.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Citizens_Coalition

Over its almost four decades of existence, the NCC has funded campaigns against: the Canada Health Act

So if Mr. Harper has not only been a long time member, but it's former president, and they have funded many campaigns against the Canada Helath Act, why would he now do an about face, and start to defend it. The NCC has not even bothered to replace him when he left to join the Canadian Alliance (a metamorphosis of the Reform Party), and why would they? Their lord and master is now the Prime Minister of Canada and in a perfect position to realize the NCC's dream.

And now for his posturing:

From the Edmonton Journal

"Klein said he believes he and Harper are on the same wavelength...While Stephen Harper did mention the whole issue of the Canada Health Act (previously), he also mentioned something else and I think it is significant - the authority of the provinces to exercise their constitutional rights," Klein said.

Another thought:

From Parkland Institute

"And now, in addition to his empty promises on parallel systems, Stephen Harper is trying to reassure voters by promising to uphold the Canada Health Act. This is not going to make me rest easier at night. Partly because for the entirety of his political career, Stephen Harper and the parties he has been associated with have opposed the Canada Health Act and lobbied for the federal government to get out of health care.....Harper's relationship with Klein also calls into question his commitment to upholding the Canada Health Act. "

I like the private clinics I've had the privledge to visit in my fine province. They tend to treat me like a person, unlike hospitals that strap a bracelet on your hand and you see a doc 6 hours later.

You have all this stuff on how Harper the public system, which I don't doubt as most economists see the massive problems and unethical treatment of patients that comes with it, but you really have yet to defend why waiting lists and sub-standard care are good things?

People die because of our system. When will it end?

I like the private clinics I've had the privledge to visit in my fine province. They tend to treat me like a person, ...

NAME ONE !!!

I had my knee done at Dr. Day's clinic in Vancouver, it was an excellent experience. Contrast that with having my third baby at bc women's hospital, supposedly the best hospital to have a baby.....they were extremely disorgnized, losing blood tests, losing paperwork, no communication between nurses (I had not less than 8 nurses assigned to me over a 16 hour period, it was a bloody waste of time and money) and this for a straight forward delivery and no complications........very poorly run, no wonder our health care is in such a mess.

I like the private clinics I've had the privledge to visit in my fine province. They tend to treat me like a person, ...

NAME ONE !!!

Shouldice Surgery in the Toronto area, ask any guy who's been there, including Jack Layton. Or ask any woman who's had an abortion in a private clinic, paid for by the taxpayers.

"NAME ONE !!!/"

Shouldice Clinic - Toronto

MIC (Medical Imaging Consultants) - Edmonton

Miseracordia Hospital (public) Emergency Room (private!) - Edmonton

Gimbal Eye Centers - Edmonton and Calgary

Tawa Medical Center (xray, MRI, ultrasound, etc.) - Edmonton

Every doctor's office in the country...

"NAME ONE !!!/"

I've been to MDS labs many times, since they do most of the bloodwork for Ontario, and they have always been polite and quick. I'm usually in and out within ten minutes. However, they messed up some test results and I had to go back three times before they got it right. My doctor was furious and his nurse said that they'd had a lot of problems with the lab. One of their maternity patients was told she had prostate problems, so figure that out. Human errors can happen anywhere.

I have also spent a great deal of time at both our local public hospitals, and they have always been efficient; I have never been treated badly and have the utmost respect for their service.

It's not perfect, and they are often short staffed, but this only began when Tony Clement (Ontarians know him as Two-Tier Tony) and the rest of Mike Harris' 'Whiz Kids' (including ironically two other Harper cabinet ministers: Flaherty and Baird), started their slash and burn closing down of hospitals and reduction of nursing staff.

I still believe that public is the best and also believe that it is fixable. I Just don't believe that Harper intends to fix it. His financial backers would never allow it.

You are right nocrap, the wonderful Mr. Tony who only won in our area by 23 votes is poised to do more damage to us. He is so concerned about us that he refuses to answer emails and to establish an office in our poorer area. Ours is a combined area, the very rich Muskoka area and the not so rich Parry Sound area. Of course we aren't worth bothering with, we do not spend money in their companies.

"NAME ONE !!!/"

I've been to MDS labs many times, since they do most of the bloodwork for Ontario, and they have always been polite and quick. I'm usually in and out within ten minutes. However, they messed up some test results and I had to go back three times before they got it right. My doctor was furious and his nurse said that they'd had a lot of problems with the lab. One of their maternity patients was told she had prostate problems, so figure that out. Human errors can happen anywhere.

I have also spent a great deal of time at both our local public hospitals, and they have always been efficient; I have never been treated badly and have the utmost respect for their service.

It's not perfect, and they are often short staffed, but this only began when Tony Clement (Ontarians know him as Two-Tier Tony) and the rest of Mike Harris' 'Whiz Kids' (including ironically two other Harper cabinet ministers: Flaherty and Baird), started their slash and burn closing down of hospitals and reduction of nursing staff.

I still believe that public is the best and also believe that it is fixable. I Just don't believe that Harper intends to fix it. His financial backers would never allow it.

Nocrap, I agree that the majority of care in public hospitals is good. Not great, but good. But let me tell you, the screw-ups you experienced at the lab is only the tip of the iceberg. As some on this board know, my wife is an RN at the University of Alberta hospital (purported to be the best in Western Canada) and we have friends at the Foothills Hospital in Calgary. Believe me, if you sit and have a few drinks with the RN's and Respiratory Therapists that work there, you will hear horror stories of what goes on...sheer incompetence. It's no different at the private labs. The level of care you receive is no better at the top hospitals in the country. For me to tell you that private care is better than public would be fallicy, when referring to care skill level. The people working there were trained at the same schools. What is different, however, is the way the systems are administered. Public "health centers" (hospital, clinic, whatever..) have no accountability. None. There have been so many cases of professional misconduct and incompetence causing complication and even (maybe!) death, that my wife would never allow my own kids to be admitted unless it was under the care of her or one of our friends. The private system forces staff to be accountable for their actions. They are privately employed, and therefore can be privately fired if their actions reflect poorly on the corporation pulling the strings.

And before anyone jumps on me asking for proof of my comments of inadequate care, understand that I am not privy to patient or staff names involved, only circumstances, as disclosure from medical professionals (even my wife) to me would be illegal. So if you want to call BS, do so. If you want first-hand information, ask anyone who works in a critical care unit (ICU, PICU, Pediatric Cardiology, etc), and if they trust you enough to tell you, you will hear stories similar to what I am saying.

So you think a private hospital would provide proper care. The people of our area worked hard to raise the money for an MRI machine. The government took the money and turned the machine over to a private company.

A lady from our area with cancer was sent by her doctor for an MRI scan and was told to come back in three weeks time. When she did go to her appointment, 200miles away, she found that the MRI information had not been sent.

When she went to the local hospital to ask the technitions what had happened she was told they did not have a secretary to forward the imformation and she would have to wait until they got to it. So much for a private company.

This was all in a letter she sent to the local paper. She also looked into who owned the company and guess what it traced back to the US.

"NAME ONE !!!/"

The sky is falling.... The sky is falling!!

I think a private/public mix with cut down the bs waiting times. I have found a way to bypass the public system at an ER, complain about chest pains!! Gets you through fast everytime!!

We don't want for profit hospitals like the US, but a mix is going to benefit every Canadian!