Terminator As Governor/saviour ?

Arnold, now mid 50s, arrived at age 21 in the US from Austria, with no money and less english. After winning bodybuilding contests he invested $28.000 and built up a real estate empire - he now owns shopping malls, a jumbo jet he leases to an airline and other venues. He has an MBA, and is a permanent Hollywood icon. Another Gipper ?

Can Arnold the Free to Choose capitalist save California from itself ?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but if he can fix California, that is more than enough of a legacy. Cali suffers from some hyper- democratic, inane budget laws and poor leadership issues. It is facing a $38 billion deficit - which looks unbridgeable. Its society is slightly to the left of the loonies in academia.

Get outside of San Fran, Oakland and L.A, and you have alot of real conservatives. Trouble is the Dumbocruds have the numbers in the aforemnetioned population centres and ruin it for everyone.

Gray Davis , in addition to his complete incompetence also affixes his signature to any pro-homosexual and abortion bill that crosses his desk.

To add to his troubles, Davis who calls himself a catholic, has been asked by his Bishop to refrain from receiving communion until he brings his views in line with Church doctrine.

Some people are talking about changing that law so that the Canadian governor of Michigan (I don't know her name) can have a chance of running. That kind of talk about a newbie governor, however, is usually rampant chit chat - nothing much more.

I think to change the law the constitution would need amending - not an easy thing to do.

What's the law here in Canada? Does a person need to be born here in order to be PM? Hmmm.

canada is a non-a**hole nation. therefore we dont have a law that says only canadians can be PM. the US, however, has such dictatorial laws, that should be changed.

and I would think it fun to see the Canadian democratic governor of whatever state that was run for Prez against the Terminator.

the solgans:

vote democrat, eh?

vote republican, cause if you dont, I'll be back.

Well the Dumbocruds have done a pretty good job screwing up the 7th largest economy in the world. 20 years ago Cali had the US' best education system. Now apparently it is last. Silicon Valley is still humming, though imany firms in high tech are leaving for Denver, Utah, and Austin. All great places btw to live and have fun. I worked in the Valley and the infrastructure, tax levels, housing costs and daily cost of living made NYC appear cheap. Add to this bad immigration, bad urban planning, and environmentalists who halt anything worth building and you have total gridlock, nay chaos.

Plus the Cali's have built an apartheid system - 2 levels - American and Mexican. A huge Mexican population is not assimilated and they have their own rights to language, courts, etc. - a truly dismal situation.

It is the same as saying 'America is not worthy, therefore we must create parallel systems'. Stupidity. If America is not worthy why do 1 million Mexicans flee to the States each year? Assimilate or go back to Mexico.

I should add this op/ed from the best Newspaper in the world:

"California Governor Gray Davis will now officially face a recall vote, but he's still in denial about the reason. The Democrat is blaming a "hostile takeover by the right" and "partisan mischief." Introspection is not his strong suit.

The world is supposed to believe that the 1.4 million voters -- 500,000 more than required -- who signed petitions were all manipulated by a few rowdy Republicans. And that his 26% approval rating has nothing to do with the energy crisis he helped create or the $12 billion surplus of five years ago that he's turned into today's $38 billion deficit. Voters also aren't supposed to care that in last year's campaign Mr. Davis misled them about both the magnitude of the state's fiscal problems and how he planned to raise taxes.

This is the same sort of buck-passing that got the Governor here in the first place. Far from a "coup," the recall is entirely constitutional, put in place in 1911 to remove "dishonest, incapable or unsatisfactory" public servants. Mr. Davis has earned this honor.

The election itself, slated for October 7, is bound to be messy. Voters will decide if Mr. Davis should go, and if so who should replace him. Potential candidates are still sorting themselves out, and the threshold for qualification is low. Which means a small number of voters could ultimately elect the next state governor. So be it. The fate of Gray Davis is a powerful lesson for unresponsive political elites in both parties."

canada is a non-a**hole nation. therefore we dont have a law that says only canadians can be PM. the US, however, has such dictatorial laws, that should be changed.

America is an a**hole nation? If theyr'e a**holes than what does that make us? The toilet? We import so much culture and economic activity from them that it makes our fate and status inevitably linked to theirs, doesn't it?

And I find it amusing that America is referred to as dictactorial when we have had one-party rule in this country for most of the last century.

Pellaken, you may add our qualifications for election to the position of President to the same list as Kyoto and the I.C.C.. The reason is something called the United States Constitution, you have heard of that, eh?

As a wannabe Politician, with strong opinions on various subjects (as is your right) living next door to America, you owe it to your future profession to know how difficult it is to ammend the American Constitution. It is not an accident but rather is designed to be exceedingly difficult to do for obvious reasons.

If you take an hour or two to research the process, you will have more knowledge of this than the majority of politicians in North America. And that includeds American politicians, as well.

We have a similiar controversy ongoing down here right now over the recall election in California. If you wish to read/hear idiotic commentary from uninformed people, just tune in on this debate.

Fact: in 1911, the people of California adopted an ammendment to their State Constitution which established a procedure for the recall/removal from office of their Governor. This is distinctly seperate from the, let us call them, criminal reasons for removal from office, i.e., morals crimes, illegal acts and so forth. Now everyone is entitled to an opinion of the wisdom of such an act but under our system of government, "We the People" establish who may hold an office and if a procedure will exist to remove them other than by scheduled elections. That is our basic right as a free people - unlike certain other countries, we are not willing to be considered the unwashed & illiterate underclass who must be guided by an elite. This is the American way and it suits us just fine.

Would that such safeguards had been established in this country which has been turned from a once proud and free land that could have challenged the US on the freedom and prosperity scale, but which, thanks to the Trudeau legacy, whose torch is carried now by Crouton and the Martin fraud, Canada has become a snivelling, whining little nanny state where elites and unelected judges write law on a whim, overriding centuries of tried and true guiding principles, leaving the people no say in the matter, nor recourse to remove them outside of an election... which will do no damn good anyway, since the media is concentrated in the hands on one rich baron, who happens to be a dyed in the wool Liberal.

Canada needs to have its own "Boston Tea Party"..

Hear Hear. I will bring the ship and the tea casks. We can dump them in Toronto's harbour. A little revolution is sometimes healthy for the body politic.

The problem with Canada is the ceaseless propaganda about its greatness. Sure it is a nice place, but christ i have heard the same nonsense in every country i have worked or lived in. Tangible, hard evidence is needed to declare greatness. This would include standards of living, per capita income, military, security, poverty levels, health habits and so on.

Canada is average compared to its competitors. It has advantages but the ninnies running the place are too busy buying votes to enact reform.

We need to devise something to stir this place up....

On the other hand i like the fact that in Cali you can recall and tear down bad politicos. This is healthy and necessary.

In Canada - no referendums, no recalls, no direct processes - no input basically.

It makes society poorer.

The Libertarian Party was the first one out there with the idea of recall , back in the '80's.

Reform grabbed it and ran with it later (Along wioth a good many members of the Libertarian Party!)

It is needed badly in this country. Trudeau could have been nipped in the bud back in '69 after introducing the Omnibus bill, or the war measures act, or the NEP. There would have been no trouble getting the signatures, and canada would be a far better place today. the mistake of Bob Rae (Who I believe came to power much to his own surprise as part of a protest vote to get rid of the arrogant Liberal Peterson) could have been corrected.

Yes a good idea - but is the populace of Canada energetic enough to care ?

Can you manage to pry 1 million Cdns away from the CBC and the Beachcombers to actually sign a document on recall ?

I doubt it. Canadians don't care, they are sissy's - nothing matters.

Arnold has finally announced his candidacy.

I heard 2 weeks ago that he had a staff of 50 already assembled.

No surprise to me that he announced his intention to run.

Bye bye Moonbeam Davis, finally some adults can run the world's 5th largest economy.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Arnie will be a flash in the pan. A week after he declares and he's already trailing "Cheech" Bustamante?

There was always the joke about CAliforni falling into the ocean .... If either of these two jokers is elected, the state of the economy will be such that it would seem that the old prophecy/joke will have come to pass.....

The little business that remains there will move off to arizona, Nevada and New Mexico.

Arnold will fix the state. His main problem might be Buffet not the Budget. What needs to be done is to reduce all the taxes, worker's comp increases, regulation, gov't increased salaries and payouts to unions and trial lawyers that Moonbeam Davis bequeathed to the voters. If Arnie does not do this, the state will sink further.

Junk bond status is pretty low and that is where Cali is at right now.

In any event the WORST scenario is that the snivelling dumbocruds will regain power. Bustamove-amente is just another fat guy with special interest groups to pay off.

The Reps HAVE to win in Cali if we want that economy to revive.

Even if the Republican is really a Dumbocrud in disguise?

Arnie's choice of Buffet is unnerving. That guy forked over big money to the Hitlery Klinton forSen. campaign, because he liked her stand on abortion. he also donates heavily to Planned Murderhood, NARAL, etc.

I'd rather see a real conservative like Tom McClintock or Bill Simon get it, but if it comes down to Arnie or Busty, Arnie would be the better of the two if only because he has no ties to the old Davis regime.

Arnold is bucking a stacked deck - the Legislative Branch is Democratic and Veto proof and it is difficult to visualize a scenario where he can accomplish much of anything against Democratic opposition.

If he is to win, and then accomplish anything before the next general election, he is going to have to select just a few high profile issues (real, not symbolic) and fight tooth and nail, head to head to attempt to get them passed.

It may be impossible for him to make substantial progress on California's problems by himself but if he can define the issues, make them real to Cali voters and then specifically target the opponents, he may convince the electorate to 'throw the bums out'. It's rare that American voters get mad enough to take this option, a great many have decided that the system is so one sided that they just don't bother to vote anymore.

If Arnold can convince those people to come back and vote, watch out California!

Well, well, well, it seems as if All the usual suspects in Hollyweird are coming out swinging against Arnie.

If the likes of Tom Hanks, Cybill Shepherd, Martin Sheen , Babsy Streisand (trudeau's "babe') Rob Reiner, Mike Farrell Ed Asner and Susan Saran-wrap think Arnie is bad, then he is probably just what the doctor ordered!

If they're agin' him, I'm for him!

Slut, starlets and gay rights activists who have never been on the right side of an issue, including the recent war in Iraq, mobilising against Arnold. This confirms my opinion that the Terminator is the right man for the job. I agree with you Neal, once Hollyweird and their sanctimonious patrons engage in politics they always pick the wrong words, the wrong arguments and the wrong side.

Their only defence is slander and lies and calling others 'stupid', even though the entire Hollywood slut set, has trouble putting words into sentences to make complex and coherent arguments.