Age & Goverment

Hello, reader and other members who have an interest in the political field of Canada, and its provinces.

This is my first post on these forums, and my first post over the Internet about politics. The question I have and would like to discuss. Is your opinion on the ages of our politics.

Watching T.V. and listening the news, I see people in government who are 40+. This makes sense to a degree because they have the most experience and so forth. However I am currently 17 years old, turning 18.

I am also in the elections of next year for City Council of the City of Kitchener, located in Ontario.

To me you do not have to be in your 40s to have a future in politics. I think it would be good for our government to get some of the younger generations. (Mine) into power, not as Prime Minister (yet) but some of the lesser roles, such as City Council, or Mayor.

Because the times are changing and life is no longer what the previous generations want, or remember. To me it requires some attention of the people who have, and are growing up in the age that the government is running.

I will stop my post about it here, and wait for others comments, and opinions.

Regards,

Derek Bellamy

Derek,

Good luck with your campaining next year. I fully agree with the policy of integrating younger individuals into the political system. I myself happened to join these forums when I was 17 (approximately 6 months ago) and I do believe that the younger/current generation does deserve a place in politics, at least to some degree. The major setback this movement may face at the moment may not be age descrimination (though that is a very large part of it), but perhaps it is more of an issue with apathy among the youth. Most people who have recently hit the voting age (within the last few years) are too caught up in setting themselves up for their careers and life in general to become involved in politics. It would be nice to see some fresh faces and ideas in the Municipal, Provincial, and Federal governments, but in order to achieve this you would need to find some very dedicated and well educated young individuals. Then even if you are able to pass beyond this first obstacle, you still have a major stereotype to overcome.

Very true Mr. Yokel

At the momment I have several adults in my area who are running my campain project. Aswell as some students from my High School in a Fed / Prov Club designed to have mock-ups of the goverment and allow students to try there hand in it. Many of them do not want to be the PM, however want the chance to be part of the team.

Myself personaly I am intressted in hearing the voice of the youth, even the teens who are not of age to vote. Because more and more it seems the youth are making choices that normaly our parents (older generations) did not have to make untill there early twentys, although they cannot vote it dose not mean they do not have an opinion. Iv found alot of political members who are in goverment do not pay attation to the youth, as I was pushed aside when attempting to get into politics when I was 15, going on 16. I felt I was pushed away due to my age.

But also I think we need the youth in goverment because, well many canadians now adayd do not trust our goverment. On any level for the matter, it seems people beleave now, which could be true. Our goverment only wants money. Some of them due maybe, but those people are putting a shadow over the ones who are there because they belive in what they are doing.

Now towards apathy, you are right in many. Many of the youth are just starting there collage or university life. Which is a big step and takes up alot of time, there are also the ones who do not want to take part in goverment, ones who do drugs, and make trouble in there life.

However in my experiance over the last few years the amount of political talk on all levels of the teenagers have grown. I cant count the number of times I have sat in the libary of my school and a decussion of politcal debate started. Even on things of the local area, and all the way to the national debate.

I think there are alot of students who want to get into politics. Not directly atleast, but they want there voice to be heard. I talk to teachers and students many of them have strong opinions on topics, and some have valid points.

On the stereotype topic you could not be more then right, that is why I am starting politics on the Municipal level for 4 year term (Hopefully) then move into the Provincial, and Federal levels at then end of that term (Age: 21) it will allow me to build some kind of status and reputation in the local area and allow me to have some kind of grounds to speak to the public on experiance and how youth can work in politics.

To end this post on the note of this, I think it would be good for the youth to get into politics on all levels. Mainly to attempt to restore the "good goverment" picture in the average citizen of the nation. Although out goverment can do some good choices, there are more questionable ones then good ones in my opinion.

To me you do not have to be in your 40s to have a future in politics. I think it would be good for our government to get some of the younger generations. (Mine) into power, not as Prime Minister (yet) but some of the lesser roles, such as City Council, or Mayor.

Because the times are changing and life is no longer what the previous generations want, or remember. To me it requires some attention of the people who have, and are growing up in the age that the government is running.

It is an unalterable fact of human nature that wisdom comes with experience and experience with time. Many of the ideas I held with a certainty when I was nineteen were, in retrospect, very naive and unworkable.

That being said, I think one of the problems with our present government - aside from corruption, and idiots - is the lack of preparation for most of those involved. Most members of parliament or provincial parliament know little or nothing about how government runs or how to operate succesfully within it. It would be nice if we had a sort of non-partisan apprenticeship program whereby young would-be politicians were run through various stages, ie, small town councillor, big city councillor, mayor, etc. and judged along the way to weed out the dross. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening.

More youth in politics? I don't see it as a plus. Possibly because I know too many youths. Most of them know little and care little about complex political issues, or are into single minded, one track thinking which fails to grasp larger ramifications.

Most of them, come to thik of it, don't even know what "ramifications" means.

It is an unalterable fact of human nature that wisdom comes with experience and experience with time. Many of the ideas I held with a certainty when I was nineteen were, in retrospect, very naive and unworkable.

I agree completely.

But best of luck to you Derek. More young people should get involved in politics.

So true, Argus. When I was seventeen, I believe I thought I could change the world. Later, as the stars began to fall from my eyes, I came to the conclusion that there should be a mini,um age of, say, 25.

Apart for a very few like Pitt, I don't think there has ever been a happy case of youth at the helm.

So true, Argus. When I was seventeen, I believe I thought I could change the world. Later, as the stars began to fall from my eyes, I came to the conclusion that there should be a mini,um age of, say, 25.

Apart for a very few like Pitt, I don't think there has ever been a happy case of youth at the helm.

I'd let Kimmy have a try, though. :P

Your goals are noble and your amibitions are high.

Regardless of your political views, I think your wanting to get involved in politics is fantastic. Too many teenagers fail to vote, much less get physically involved in politics.

There is no doubt that with age comes experience. Since this is the provincial politics forum and I live in Quebec, I know that in 1970 Robert Bourassa was portrayed as immature, as is future PQ hopeful Andre Boisclair.

Yet, Canada's youth are less likely to be tainted with nepotism, cronyism, and other negatives that haunt Canada's (and the world's) older politicians.

My best to you and I wish you the best of luck. Age is a factor that carries both positive and negative implications. From reading your post, and by your reaching out, I can tell your on the right track...

I think as one so young, if you really want to serve your country in that respect, find a way to educate and get your peers interested in politics.

No offense, I have no doubt your intentions are noble and you give a shit (which is one of the most important things to do any job), but sir Argus is right. One so young lacks the experience to lead. I think people see government strictly as a caretaking operation, when ideally there should much more of a leadership role. Especially from our elected officials.

I am reminded of Plato. He had some messed up irrational ideas about how government should work, but that our leaders should be older before they are allowed to govern is not one of them.