Canada needs to rebuild its railway system

Should big trucks be taken off the roads?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I propose a major overhaul of a east west train/road/communications pipeline.

The existing railroad from the East to the West coast does need some work so hows about this to accomplish alot of this at the same time.

THE GRAND PIPE (dream) LINE !!

Along with the addition of a few parrallel train tracks moving east to west, you can have a major road/hiway doing the same thing right along side of the tracks.

Major centers can have terminals to load and offload cargo (trucks ect). Along the whole line you can have major communication networks like fiber op, cell towers and the like running the whole lenght.

Now you will have to branch off somehow to acommodate some cities that are out of the way, but overall can be done.

Now this should blow your noodles. Since there is enough trains and enough tracks going east west, how about a train system that can carry cars from one side to the other (we already do) I am in Halifax. I want to go to Vancouver, but I don't want to fly, and I don't want to drive my car there, but when I am there I want to drive MY car! Drive the car onto the train, hop on the passenger cars and ride the train all the way. Less strain on your car and wallet at the same time. The cost of carrying the car and your butt to the other end of the country will be less than driving /motels/gas/meals. Prolly less than flying as well. Reach Vancouver, get your car and drive off the train into the cool city of Vancouver.

It is quite the endeavour but what a dream system.

Railways are by far the most environmentally friendly method of transporting both goods and people.  We should put pressure on our government to promote the re-development of railway services... not just in the GTA.

Yeah, cause the only transportation we need is from our stack-a-prole concrete housing structures to the government mill and back again, in a perfect world.

err

I agree.

We have let the automobile industry dictate our modes of transportation for too long. That is the problem I have with these corporate lobbyists who quietly contact our governments and lobby for their interests, which are often completely at odds with what is best for our society, and usually out of sight. Our There is the conflict of interest with a corporate controlled press. Our media rarely report on the details when the real decisions are being made in the backrooms of the PMO's office, etc.

err

I agree.

We have let the automobile industry dictate our modes of transportation for too long. That is the problem I have with these corporate lobbyists who quietly contact our governments and lobby for their interests, which are often completely at odds with what is best for our society, and usually out of sight. Our There is the conflict of interest with a corporate controlled press. Our media rarely report on the details when the real decisions are being made in the backrooms of the PMO's office, etc.

Reading this, it occurs to me that you probably don't live in Toronto. No one who's had to contend with rush hour on the Gardiner, and who knows the history of how city council has voted on transportation issues could make a statement like that.

That people prefer private transportation to public transportation isn't a scheme cooked up by "corporations". It's the way of the world. When people have the freedom to choose, they often opt for privacy. I'd rather use my own washroom than a public one, even if public toilets are more efficient and better for the environment.

Well I know a little bit of the history of the city like when the Spadina Expressway got stopped, etc., and I have seen the traffic, but we cannot continue like this polluting our environment with the fumes of so many single occupancy vehicles. We have to move back to things like railways, and move bigtime into public transportation systems, once we have dealt with suicide bombers, etc., otherwise we will not continue to exist.

Well I know a little bit of the history of the city like when the Spadina Expressway got stopped, etc., and I have seen the traffic, but we cannot continue like this polluting our environment with the fumes of so many single occupancy vehicles. We have to move back to things like railways, and move bigtime into public transportation systems, once we have dealt with suicide bombers, etc., otherwise we will not continue to exist.

Chicken little, the sky's not falling.

Tell that to the 18 people who died this past week due to the heat wave. Actually you will have to tell their families because they are DEAD. Oh, btw, that doesn't include the illegal immigrants deaths. Good ole USA!

An entire 18 people died? Tell me, did they have pre-existing health conditions?

Do you realize that your views on enviromental catastrophe are tantamount to a religion? Elements of an evil influence, reference to the end of the world, self-assured knowledge of the true pathway to salvation...

A little facetious of me, I realize. It's just something that strikes me whenever I read or listen to environmental true believers. And then I wonder about how the seperation of church and state might apply to the environmental movement, and then I giggle delightedly.

You two, with your little one line posts, complaining about the substantiality of my posts. Calling me a troll when it's you that can't be bothered to refute an idea. I'd say any casual observer to this thread could tell who was posting and who was trolling. You're both ridiculous.