Canadian Education

Ok, i realize this topic has nothing to do with Liberals, Conservatives, NDP, Green Party, Bloc Quebecois, Democrats or Republicans. However this topic is certainly disturbing when you think about it. the other day i was looking at world educational statistics and it showed that on a world scale the national average for Canadian grades is 54%!!!!!!!!! :blink: that means that half the country that is in school is failing and the other half is passing (thus the average). on a world scale canada is near the middle falling to other countries such as Japan, UK, Sweden and the Netherlands in a global comparisson. we're not as bad as the united states but hey lets face it 54% isn't the greatest. according to Premier Ralph Klein, alberta boasts as one of the leaders in Canadian education with a whooping average of 64%. this means that SOMEBODY is at 44% or lower. now once again, i apologize this is a little off topic for the forum, but i just want to know, am i crazy and is this normal and nothing to fear or is there really a problem that should be addressed. if anyone can find any other stats on this issue i would like to see them. PLEASE IF YOU CAN PROVE ME WRONG! :)

the other day i was looking at world educational statistics and it showed that on a world scale the national average for Canadian grades is 54%!!!!!!!!!  :blink: that means that half the country that is in school is failing and the other half is passing (thus the average).

Do you have an online reference to thise stats? I found this which seems to indicate that the highest score achieved anywhere was 79%.

the other day i was looking at world educational statistics and it showed that on a world scale the national average for Canadian grades is 54%!!!!!!!!!  :blink: that means that half the country that is in school is failing and the other half is passing (thus the average).

Do you have an online reference to thise stats? I found this which seems to indicate that the highest score achieved anywhere was 79%.

unfortunatly i don't have any online reference, which i realize is bad on my part, the thing was i sitting in a doctor's office and picked up a random magazine and that was i read.

Measuring education is always difficult, due to differences in programs, teaching methods and access to books/equipment/technical support in different regions/countries.

In order to try and find some common ground for comparisons, the international educational community has developed a variety of studies, which generally compare the results in different countries to a baseline, or they compare the results to an average (so results are shown only as below/at/above average). These studies include the:

Program for International Student Assessment (PISA)

Progress in International Reading Literacy Study (PIRLS)

Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS)

Reports on the above mentioned international education indicator studies can be found at: http://nces.ed.gov/surveys/international/IntlIndicators/

The report of the Pan-Canadian Education Indicator's Program can be found at:

http://www.cesc.ca/pceipE.html

While there is way to much information contained in each report, you can generally focus on "Elementary-Secondary Education" sections of each to see how students at this level compare on the given study. Hopefully this information will give some depth to the discussion. Generally, Canadian students score in the top half to top third in each study.

I think the education system does need some work, but not the huge cash infusion that some people would advocate.

Now we've all heard plenty of "when I was in school" anecdotes, but here comes another....

When I was in school (see what I mean???) we had classes with 35-40 students.

We had a teacher.

We had textbooks.

We were taught, not entertained. Although some teachers managed to do both at the same time.

We were taught math. We could all add, subtract, multiply, divide, calculate area of various shaped bojects, or volume of 3-dimensional objects. We were taught algebra and other "bra's" that I can no longer recall.

We did all these things WITHOUT a calculator.

We were taught proper grammar and spelling. (Nowadays most kids can't even spell "can't". Even in university washrooms you can find common 4-letter words mis-spelled)

We were taught to appreciate literature. We did book reports. These days most kids have never actually read a novel.

We were taught history, geography, science, etc.

If we didn't pass, then we FAILED. We were held back. We had to repeat the year.

These days, kids are passed so as to not lower their self-esteem.

Got 36% average grades for the year??? "Well, we can't hold him back. It wouldn't be fair. He'd be in a class with younger kids. They'd make fun of him."

TOUGH.

Maybe it's the incentive "he" needs to pull up his drawers and actually try.

These days, I hear teacher's unions bitching and moaning about unmanageable class sizes wherein they have to teach "as many as" 30 kids.

Not an excuse, IMHO.

Guest eureka

Actually it is an excuse, PR. Workloads for teachers are higher than before and large class sizes are a killer. Just try doing reports for kids now, as one example of an extra. Try dealing with parents who exercise their new found right to have "input" into the system.

You imply that discipline was stronger back when. Try teaching now when a teacher is virtually helpless in exercising control.