What should happend in the future

What should be done ?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

good :) and just for fun

just post a reply if you are from the roc and voted for centralization or if you are from ontario and voted for decentralization. That way ill be able to confirm what i think :D

I would say none of the above. The system needs to be restructured to centralise some powers and decentralize others. For example, management of healthcare and primary education should be exclusively provincial. But the feds should be free to provide university funding and scholarships anywhere in the country.

good :) and just for fun

just post a reply if you are from the roc and voted for centralization or if you are from ontario and voted for decentralization. That way ill be able to confirm what i think :D

I would say none of the above. The system needs to be restructured to centralise some powers and decentralize others. For example, management of healthcare and primary education should be exclusively provincial. But the feds should be free to provide university funding and scholarships anywhere in the country.

Quebec educationnal system is different, how could the federal centralize it without destroying quebec specificity ?

Quebec educationnal system is different, how could the federal centralize it without destroying quebec specificity ?

I did say that the education system should be exclusively provincal. However, I feel that programs that allow Canadians to go anywhere in Canada to attend university should be federal. My understanding is the Quebec govt is quite annoyed about the Mellenium scholarship fund - I would like to see those kinds of protests stop.

Guest eureka

Why should healthcare and education be exclusively provincial? In no other advanced nation in the world are they so.

The fact that they are provincial in Canada is one major source of our problems in that this country is turning from being a nation into only being a country.

Why should healthcare and education be exclusively provincial? In no other advanced nation in the world are they so.

The fact that they are provincial in Canada is one major source of our problems in that this country is turning from being a nation into only being a country.

Education: Cananda would have never became a country in the first place if the founding fathers tried to make education a federal responsibility. Even today, every province has unique needs when it comes to education (particularily Quebec).

Healthcare: no country with the physical size Canada has a national healthcare system. By its very nature, healthcare should be as locally managed as possible. That said, I did think the idea of a national pharmacare program sounded good, however, I decided that would be nightmare since the the feds would have no control over the doctors doing the prescribing.

Guest eureka

When Canada was "founded," there was virtually no such thing as education. They did dictate the responsibilities of provinces to education thinking that it could then be left alone.

There was nothing whatsoever preventing federal control. Every province does not have unique needs when it comes to education, The curricula of every province are virtually identical and obviously should be so.

Healthcare: Every country of Canada's size: every country larger than Canada:eEvery country smaller than Canada: all have national systems except for a few that have a shared jurisdiction - Switzerland is one of those.

Managing locally is not the same as regionally separate systems.

Canada, on education, is the only member of OECD that does not have a national Minister of Education and whose federal government cannot participate in international conferences on education since they can commit to nothing.

When Canada was "founded," there was virtually no such thing as education. They did dictate the responsibilities of provinces to education thinking that it could then be left alone.

There was nothing whatsoever preventing federal control. Every province does not have unique needs when it comes to education, The curricula of every province are virtually identical and obviously should be so.

Healthcare: Every country of Canada's size: every country larger than Canada:eEvery country smaller than Canada: all have national systems except for a few that have a shared jurisdiction - Switzerland is one of those.

Canada, on education, is the only member of OECD that does not have a national Minister of Education and whose federal government cannot participate in international conferences on education since they can commit to nothing.

Eureka you really think that quebecker would let the federal manage education

or your idea is to force quebecker to use a federal education system ?

Guest eureka

Most definitely the feds should take over since Quebec has abused its jurisdiction.

Quebec, in its education system, not only offends against law and morality, it is in violation of the UN Charter of Rights and of the International Covenant on Social, Political and Economic Rights.

Quebec is the example that proves that important matters cannot be left to Provincial control.

I am afraid that your knowledge of Canadian history is weak. The division between Catholic and Protestant school boards in Ontario predates confedration.

Quebec has very unique needs when it comes to education since it needs to maintains a franophone society. Ontario and BC have very large non-english speaking immigrant populations that need education. Saskatchewan and Newfoundland have to deal with a shriking number of students.

There is no country with canada's geographical size that has a nation health system. It is the geography is the issue not the number of people.

Quebec, in its education system, not only offends against law and morality, it is in violation of the UN Charter of Rights and of the International Covenant on Social, Political and Economic Rights.

I used to be quite self-righteous over Quebec's education policies, but then I decided that if it is so important to Quebequers then we (the rest of the country) should be able to live with it.

Personally, if we Federalists really want to send a message to Quebequers that they are welcome in the country, we (parliment and all other provinces) should pass a simple constitutional amendment that makes Bill 101 perfectly legitimate under the constitution. In other words, make it so Quebec no longer has to use the notwithstanding clause for Bill 101. I think such a gesture would be much more meaningful than slogans like 'My Canada Includes Quebec'.

There is no country with canada's geographical size that has a nation health system. It is the geography is the issue not the number of people.

What's this supposed to mean?

There is only one other country, or maybe two at the most, that have such a large geographical territory as Canada does.

Anyway most Canadians live in close proximinity to each other in large urban areas. I am sure we can address the health care issues for outlying areas.

There is only one other country, or maybe two at the most, that have such a large geographical territory as Canada does.

:blink:

Exactly, which is why comparing Canada's level of decentralization to other countries is not very useful. It is easy to have a centralized national government if you have 30 million people crammed into a place like the Netherlands.