Ted Morton

Apparently not,

Interesting figure though, considered 2nd in the Alberta leadership race after Dinning.

Wanted to know if people think he has a chance against Dinning?

What do people think of his policies ("Alberta Agenda", idea is to slowly turn off the transfer payment tap to Quebec and the maritimes, follow in Quebec's footsteps in building a separate police force, pension plan etc)

He is not a separtist, believes the provinces should choose on questions like gar marriage and abortion. Decentral government.

Lots of talk in Alberta about the possibility of him winning in the recoil if the Liberals win the next election despite the scandals.

Any thoughtful thoughts?

here is his site

http://www.tedmorton.ca/

If Ted Morton wins (which he won't) you can say good bye to the PC's running this province. I've taken a number of classes as well from him over the years, and have never been impressed at all by him.

Hell, he might not even be an MLA if that nomination shit isn't cleared up properly.

Agreed.

However, he's betting that rural Alberta will carry him.

They just might, so it's very important not to underestimate him. He is in Calgary School, and those people are capable of anything.

• 1 year later...

"He is not a separtist, believes the provinces should choose on questions like gar marriage and abortion. Decentral government." quoted from above

If you had properly reviewed Ted's site, or talked with him personally, you might know that the above statement is not true. Ted Morton is not fighting about the right to allow or not allow gay marriages, he acknowledges the fact that it is federal law. However, he is against the fact that if you or I speak out against gay marriages, we could be sued for our opinions. Are you aware that there are teachers, judges etc who have lost their jobs because they stated they disagree with gay marriage. What happened to freedom of speech?

Also, the last poll showed that Ted Morton was 2 or 3 percent ahead of Jim Dinning.

I highly suggest people make sure they know more about the issues before they comment here, because they are misleading people when they make statements that are not accurate.

Just my opinion.

If you had properly reviewed Ted's site, or talked with him personally, you might know that the above statement is not true. Ted Morton is not fighting about the right to allow or not allow gay marriages, he acknowledges the fact that it is federal law. However, he is against the fact that if you or I speak out against gay marriages, we could be sued for our opinions. Are you aware that there are teachers, judges etc who have lost their jobs because they stated they disagree with gay marriage. What happened to freedom of speech?

Uh:

And as a firm demonstration of Alberta’s national leadership, we should initiate a constitutional amendment enshrining traditional marriage in the Canadian constitution.
We simply cannot stand by and do nothing while the Liberals destroy the institutions and values that helped build our great country.

The recent passage of the Liberals’ Same-Sex Marriage law requires immediate action. Fortunately, most of the laws affecting families and children fall under provincial jurisdiction so there is much we can do here in Alberta.

So he wants to make gay mariage unconstiutional (good luck with that Teddy-boy) and enact provincial legislation to undermine equal marriage rights.

My own personal support for gay marriage aside, is this really an issue that deserves to be on the forefront of any prospective leader's agenda?

OK....so obviously my words were taken the wrong way in that someone assumes the issue of gay marriages is at the forefront of Ted Morton's campaign. Wrong again. I highly recommend you do some reasearch. He has several items on his platform. Here are some points taken from his website:

Re-negotiating a Fair Deal for Alberta. Federal Liberal governments drained billions of dollars a year out of Alberta to buy votes in Central and Eastern Canada. With a new Conservative government in Ottawa, we must work toward re-directing these funds to build infrastructure that can support our fast growing economy and population.

Enhancing the Alberta Advantage. We need to continue to lower taxes, diversify our economy, and ensure our health care and education systems are innovative, accountable and second to none.

Strengthening the Family. We must do everything legally and politically possible to ensure that traditional family values remain the foundation of our society.

Ensuring Democratic Reform and Renewal. We must demand that the democratic deficit in our Country be addressed, and we must work to reform our provincial democracy and party organization to reflect the deeply-held democratic values of Albertans.

Preserving our Environment. We need to protect our water, land and wildlife so that future generations of Albertans will enjoy the same high quality of life as we do.

I have attended a couple of meetings with him, and what appears to be at the forefront is putting Alberta and Albertans first. His concern is that we have a plan for the future, because lets face it, oil & gas are non-renewable, and that we have proper education and medical funding/facilities to make that future better for every Albertan.

Seriously, you need to go see the man talk. He is the future of Alberta.

Again.....Just My Opinion