Election Signage

I am not sure what it is like in other cities but here in Calgary at Election time the people running for election absolutely flood the streets with signage. I know that they think most people are stupid and do not pay attention to political platforms and because of that they want each name seen every two feet.

Here is what bothers me we have in this city a Bylaw about signage and it applies to Politian's signs as well but guess what our bylaw officers told me and I am talking about the sergeant in charge of Bylaw that the Mayor of our good city told them to ignore it at election time . This to me is troubling in a couple of ways #1 why are they any different then the average citizen who wants to put one sign up to advertise his company ? they put signs 6 inches from the curb instead of the 6 feet the law requires and they are spaced every foot instead of 20 yards. #2 if these people show total disregard for the simplest laws in the city how do we trust them to abide by the rest?

Governments know why younger people do not trust them and I think we have to speak up please call the 311 number and complain and then ask to be put through to the mayors office and complain to them. Remember this is a round about way of saying you are stupid.

• 1 month later...

Election signs do work, but they are far from the most effective method of gaining vote share. Door to door canvasing still remains the most effective method for municipal elections and is a major factor in other elections. The problem is with close elections, those signs could easily spell the difference. Municipalities create all sorts of rules concerning signs, and as you point out they are often ignored. Every election there is also some scandal about vandalizing or stealing election signs.

Note that the average citizen often breaks the rules as well to advertise their business, take a look around at poles in your neighborhood and see all the signs illegally posted. The difference is a matter of election signs being there for a limited time and in great numbers, and other signs being there for a long time and less conspicuous.

Election signs serve three purposes:

1) Increase brand awareness for the candidate. This means if the voter is indifferent at the ballot box, they'll most likely vote for the candidate that they have heard of. Additionally, the candidate will be better received when canvassing, when people are already familiar with their name.

2) Potential supporters are more likely to volunteer for, or donate to, someone who they are familiar with, as well as someone who seems very active. The big supporters always prefer to back a winner, because they are more likely to wield power at the end of an election. 

3) Letting people know which parties are in the race. If a casual voter sees that most of the signs are predominantly two parties, they will assume the other parties don't have a chance, and will therefore, vote for one of the two parties with the most signs. No one wants to waste their vote.