Blasphemy

21 hours ago, drummindiver said:

The Charter of rights also says no religion in school, and we've seen how well that worked.

Example?  You mean Catholic schools? Its true the Charter looks blindly to Catholic public schools. Yes. Its a double standard at one level if that's your point. However I am not sure if you've noticed but say in Ontario which still has them, there are often as many non Catholics as Catholics in those schools and they choose to go there. The non Catholics can opt out of Catholic ceremonies. If I had a choice today and I am Jewish I would send my kid to a Catholic school. They are better run.

Me personally I think schools should be non denominational. You have an argument yes on this specific issue. Its another vestige left over from original Canadian law.

You'd never know it but the majority of Canadians are still Catholic.

I get along with Jesuits myself. Grew up with them. They never tried to convert me, just teach me how to box and stay out of trouble.

I grew up on  a street with a lot of them, mostly Irish and some of them Shamrocks were  Presbyterian and some United. They all looked the same to me. We all boxed the same way. You break your nose the same way. The only people I feared were the friggin Mohawks when we played hockey with them. They have no pain threshold. You chop off their arm they feel nothing. When I grew up the only real religion was hockey and the CH was our symbol and the Rocket is still the guy we all looked up to, him and Beliveau. God? With due respect,t he church or synagogue was the Forum and when the puck dropped and you saw les Glorieux move the puck you knew what or who God was. God is that energy that always kept moving the puck up.

Blasphemy was when Toronto won a game in Montreal.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Rue said:

Most of us know a lie is a lie. If we don't we don't fool anyone.

Every one can be fooled. The better the knowledge you have, the lowest the chances are that you would be fool, still, you can be fooled. You can be fooled by someone you trust, because that person was confident about something that it has been fooled as well.

The biggest problem about the very religious people, they feel a huge need to have binary assertions. Either you lie, or you tell the truth. It's either true or false. Having to face an assertion that you do not know if it is a lie or truth, false or true, is something very uncomfortable for them. It scares the shit out of them. So they have their divine leaders that has the answers for everything. The divine creator knows the truth and we are lucky bastards because that god deigned give us the truth in a book written by the hand of prophets. How conveniant! All religions works in the same pattern.

That inability to accept that it is possible you do not know combined to the fatality to choose whether it is true or not, even if you can't know, is making your judgement totally biased and unreliable.

Therefore, your sentence will be understood differentely by someone who is entertaining a lie and strongly believe it is the truth. That person thinks it is caring the truth and knows how to recognize a lie.

That is also why the saying "I know that I know nothing", is a very good wisdom totally out of reach of the understanding of the believers.

34 minutes ago, Rue said:

You'd never know it but the majority of Canadians are still Catholic.

Not majority, but largest single identifiable group. The 2011 national household survey (remember that optional thingy after Harper got rid of the long form census) had 38.7% of the population identifying as Roman Catholic. Specifically the question asked was: What is this person's religion? Indicate a specific denomination or religion even if this person is not currently a practising member of that group.

A lot of us were sent to Church as children (in my case Anglican), and became part of that church (e.g. through a baptism). So according to that question I am an Anglican, even though I haven't had anything to do with the church since childhood

Religion was not asked on the census this past May. Historically it has only been asked every 10 years, so we will have to wait and see if they have a similar question in 2021.

Edited by ?Impact

5 hours ago, Benz said:

Every one can be fooled. The better the knowledge you have, the lowest the chances are that you would be fool, still, you can be fooled. You can be fooled by someone you trust, because that person was confident about something that it has been fooled as well.

The biggest problem about the very religious people, they feel a huge need to have binary assertions. Either you lie, or you tell the truth. It's either true or false. Having to face an assertion that you do not know if it is a lie or truth, false or true, is something very uncomfortable for them. It scares the shit out of them. So they have their divine leaders that has the answers for everything. The divine creator knows the truth and we are lucky bastards because that god deigned give us the truth in a book written by the hand of prophets. How conveniant! All religions works in the same pattern.

That inability to accept that it is possible you do not know combined to the fatality to choose whether it is true or not, even if you can't know, is making your judgement totally biased and unreliable.

Therefore, your sentence will be understood differentely by someone who is entertaining a lie and strongly believe it is the truth. That person thinks it is caring the truth and knows how to recognize a lie.

That is also why the saying "I know that I know nothing", is a very good wisdom totally out of reach of the understanding of the believers.

You made some good points Benz. (....but then I could be lying )

5 hours ago, ?Impact said:

Not majority, but largest single identifiable group. The 2011 national household survey (remember that optional thingy after Harper got rid of the long form census) had 38.7% of the population identifying as Roman Catholic. Specifically the question asked was: What is this person's religion? Indicate a specific denomination or religion even if this person is not currently a practising member of that group.

A lot of us were sent to Church as children (in my case Anglican), and became part of that church (e.g. through a baptism). So according to that question I am an Anglican, even though I haven't had anything to do with the church since childhood

Religion was not asked on the census this past May. Historically it has only been asked every 10 years, so we will have to wait and see if they have a similar question in 2021.

Got yer pt.  which comes from Stats Can.Here is where I got my info from just so you know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Canada

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎24 at 10:50 AM, Benz said:

Why not get rid of it then? It's like having a dildo in your room and saying you do not do anal sex.

lol, well if you put it that way...lol...I use mine to clear my nasal passages...actually there's a lot of antiquated stuff they should delete..i cant argue that B