Revenue Minister

The minister is telling CBC to hand over the list of tax havens, which most journlist obtained and I wondering why she is asking just CBC when ALL news station have the list , like SunTV or any other news network. As one person in the comment portion of the article, are MP's name maybe listed or maybe some their biggest supporters? http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/04/09/tax-haven-shea-cra-cbc-request.html

The CBC is the only Canadian media outlet with the details.

The documents, recording nearly 30 years of data entries, emails and other confidential information from 10 offshore havens around the world, were obtained by the Washington, D.C.-based International Consortium of Investigative Journalists. The CBC was the only Canadian media outlet to have the exclusive details.

The minister is telling CBC to hand over the list of tax havens, which most journlist obtained and I wondering why she is asking just CBC when ALL news station have the list , like SunTV or any other news network. As one person in the comment portion of the article, are MP's name maybe listed or maybe some their biggest supporters? http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/04/09/tax-haven-shea-cra-cbc-request.html

Apparently this is not the case. From what i have read only consortium members got the list and that is only CBC in Canada.

If SUN and others have the list it is because they were given it by third parties.

This is definitely something that needs to be done formally through the courts though.

The list is hearsay however. The information must have been stolen from the trust companies themselves which is representative of a crime itself. Likely some sort of privacy breech occurred. The information itself could have been engineered.

Overall though, I suspect a list will be made available by the US Gov if it is not provided by the CBC anyway.

This is a legal matter though and should be left to the courts. It should be fairly easy for the RCMP to obtain a search warrant if evidence of a crime is believed to exist. She should be contacting the RCMP and the RCMP should be requesting the information, not the minister.

I think the minister getting personally involved in this shows some bias and partisanship due to the person named being a liberal senator's spouse and the senator themself named as a beneficiary of the trust. The minsiter shouldn't be commenting on this legal issue, and it should be left to the police and courts and those actually involved. Until the issue is proven in court, the minister of revenue really has no reason to be involved. They should be saying, the police have been contacted and are investigating, not CBC you give me that list with dirt on the liberal senator's husband. Hopefully you can see the problem.

It is very indiscreet and unprofessional in how the minister is conducting themself in this matter. I think if this were a conservative related issue it would be buried with lips sewn together, and the police would need to act of their own volition.

Edited by shortlived