Mutiny In The Ranks

Dear OZINUSA,

Interesting but skewed article. As 'Anonymous' writes in 'Imperial Hubris', these people (professional soldiers) are paid to die. They enlist for various reasons, a job or college money, for example, but they assume any and all risks that go with it. They are not paid to examine why they fight.

Post traumatic Stress Disorder is a load of bunk, in my opinion. My father lost his arm in WWII serving in the Canadian Navy. He was at a tremendous 'disadvantage' back home. He had to wait until the automatic transmission became popular before he could drive, for example. However, he never complained about his lot, he made do as best he could. He didn't even have a high school diploma. (which he eventualy got in his 50's) He went on to become Registrar of Land Titles in Saskatoon by effort, not hoping that someone would take pity on him and give him some breaks, but made his own.

He taught me how to tie my shoes with one hand. He also taught me that if I worked hard , and kept trying, I could do anything I set my mind to. He did it almost all by example.

If the GIs are snivelling about PTSD, I say, 'tough-tittie'.

If they are snivelling about the war in Iraq being immoral, tough again. John Kerry set the example of 'do your best job when it is required of you' and then try to change things later, if you still truly believe in them.

Dear OZINUSA,

Interesting but skewed article. As 'Anonymous' writes in 'Imperial Hubris', these people (professional soldiers) are paid to die. They enlist for various reasons, a job or college money, for example, but they assume any and all risks that go with it. They are not paid to examine why they fight.

Post traumatic Stress Disorder is a load of bunk, in my opinion. My father lost his arm in WWII serving in the Canadian Navy. He was at a tremendous 'disadvantage' back home. He had to wait until the automatic transmission became popular before he could drive, for example. However, he never complained about his lot, he made do as best he could. He didn't even have a high school diploma. (which he eventualy got in his 50's) He went on to become Registrar of Land Titles in Saskatoon by effort, not hoping that someone would take pity on him and give him some breaks, but made his own.

He taught me how to tie my shoes with one hand. He also taught me that if I worked hard , and kept trying, I could do anything I set my mind to. He did it almost all by example.

If the GIs are snivelling about PTSD, I say, 'tough-tittie'.

If they are snivelling about the war in Iraq being immoral, tough again. John Kerry set the example of 'do your best job when it is required of you' and then try to change things later, if you still truly believe in them.

Your father sounds like a good man and i'm glad he didn't end up with PTSD. But just because he was lucky and it didn't affect him does not mean it doesn't affect other people.

I'm am a member of the Canadian armed forces (infantry) and your comment " these people (professional soldiers) are paid to die" is disgusting. We are NOT paid to die. We are trained to be tools for the government. We are trained and paid NOT to die. But to carry out the will of the government at home and abroad.

You make it sound almost as if, as a soldier, i am not allowed to have an opinion. While i'm at work I salute and do as i'm told (as it should be). But when I go home at night I have an opinion and a life. I have a family to look after. I am of the opinion, though, that if you don't like the army then don't resign when your contract comes up.

Soldiers are not second class citizens who are paid to shut up and die. We are paid to do our job.

PS - I didn't read the article. This is a reply to what you said and not the article.

Dear Stevenpfo,

Oddly enough, my first name is Steven.

However,

PTSD. But just because he was lucky and it didn't affect him
I never said it did not affect him. It could have affected him greatly, and he was 'disabled for life' to boot. It's just that times have changed, and the response to PTSD has gone from 'no sh#t, Dick Tracy' to 'oh you poor dear, we exempt and absolve you from further responsibilty". Patton slapped a man silly for being shell-shocked and called him a coward. I thought that was a bit extreme, but one can see how Patton's actions would have been viewed today.
Soldiers are not second class citizens who are paid to shut up and die. We are paid to do our job.
I believe you are first-class citizens, with one of the toughest jobs to be found anywhere. But, yes, I think you are asked to put opinions and morals aside when asked to do a job (like pull a trigger and kill another human being) that is deemed necessary by the gov't.

And that article by the Bush-bashing Will Thomas is worthy of any propaganda piece that Michael Moore-on has ever written.

Check out the pic of "peaceful" Baghdad while Saddam was in power - at the bottom of the page. Just like Michael Moore. He described Iraq as an oasis of peace and tranquility while Saddam was a puppet President.

Thank goodness John McCain called out Moore on his flagrant lie when he called him a disengenous filmmaker at his RNC speech - causing Moore to flee the convention and never come back.

And that article by the Bush-bashing Will Thomas is worthy of any propaganda piece that Michael Moore-on has ever written.

Check out the pic of "peaceful" Baghdad while Saddam was in power - at the bottom of the page. Just like Michael Moore. He described Iraq as an oasis of peace and tranquility while Saddam was a puppet President.

Thank goodness John McCain called out Moore on his flagrant lie when he called him a disengenous filmmaker at his RNC speech - causing Moore to flee the convention and never come back.

Actually since the American's arrived in Bagdad it's become a much nicer place. People are a lot happier.

Family and friends all gather around and sing songs they are so happy about the americans arriving.

Yep the americans have made bagdad a better place to live alright.

William Thomas or Michael Moore had nothing to do with what the americans have done there including the slaughter of innocent children, women and men.

Look at the FACTS. Do not speak about distractions or river boats please.

Actually since the American's arrived in Bagdad it's become a much nicer place. People are a lot happier.

Family and friends all gather around and sing songs they are so happy about the americans arriving.

Yep the americans have made bagdad a better place to live alright.

I was going to call you on this; asking if you ever heard any news. Fortunately, I read the rest of your message and realized that this is sarcasm