Thomas Mulcair is a French Citizen

Who said it was a hardship? I certainly didn't. I said it makes things easier by having it. His wife is a French citizen and his children have dual-citizenship. It obviously makes it easier for him to travel with his family if he holds dual-citizenship. Those that would deny him this would effectively make it more difficult for him to travel with his wife and children who hold French citizenships. He would have to queue in a separate line from them and take longer to go through customs. I'm saying people that don't think he should have dual-citizenship must hate his children because they would make it more difficult for him to travel and spend time with them when they're with family in France.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said it makes things easier by having it. His wife is a French citizen and his children have dual-citizenship. It obviously makes it easier for him to travel with his family if he holds dual-citizenship. Those that would deny him this would effectively make it more difficult for him to travel with his wife and children who hold French citizenships. He would have to queue in a separate line from them and take longer to go through customs. I'm saying people that don't think he should have dual-citizenship must hate his children because they would make it more difficult for him to travel and spend time with them when they're with family in France.

If his wife relinquished her French citizenship the whole family could travel under Canadian passports. That way they would all queue up in the same line ups at airports.

If his wife relinquished her French citizenship the whole family could travel under Canadian passports. That way they would all queue up in the same line ups at airports.

I wish I could hold a French passport.

Then when I'm travelling through Europe I can get into that line up which, I have been told by my European friends, is much easier and faster to go through.

The more important issue here is that it seems highly unlikely that Harper or anyone else would bat an eye if Mulcair held dual Canadian-British citizenship. In fact, it was only a generation ago that this was commonplace.

Yeah, it's been mentioned a couple times already that multiple PMs, most recently Turner, have held dual Canada-UK citizenship, by birth no less. I'm not very convinced either by the rationalizations for why it's OK for our monarch and head of state to hold UK citizenship by birth but not for a potential Opposition leader to hold French citizenship.

I never had the sense that it was Dion's dual citizenship that sank him. Did people really care about that? Maybe I don't remember.

xpost

Edited by Evening Star

I don't think so but if it was, to witness the outrage would be worth the price of admission.

Well tbh, I find it ironic that you posit Harper as the potential victim in this imaginary scenario since it is so similar to the actual angle that the Tories used to smear Ignatieff in the last election campaign.

You can hold dual-citizenship with the United States; however, a foreigner cannot get US citizenship without renouncing any other citizenship(s) they might hold. In other words, you can only really be a dual-citizen of the US if you were born in the country or one of your parents is American.

Yeah, it's been mentioned a couple times already that multiple PMs, most recently Turner, have held dual Canada-UK citizenship, by birth no less.

In Turner's time, I wasn't engaged in politics enough to know about it. I admit in those days I blindly voted Liberal because of all the goodies they tended to throw my way. I have since mended my ways and have become less greedy. Of course, being human that might change at some point if the right carrots are dangled before me.

I'm not very convinced either by the rationalizations for why it's OK for our monarch and head of state to hold UK citizenship by birth but not for a potential Opposition leader to hold French citizenship.

In my view, the Opposition leader is closer to home and has more direct impact on the policy front than the monarch. I'm a monarchist mainly insofar as it is a means of preserving tradition and a link with our history.

It still doesn't make any sense that having dual-citizenship would lead to anyone creating "bad" policy. They still need to win elections and they still need their policies supported by the party, parliament, the Senate, and the Constitution.

Edited by cybercoma

Well tbh, I find it ironic that you posit Harper as the potential victim in this imaginary scenario since it is so similar to the actual angle that the Tories used to smear Ignatieff in the last election campaign.

What rubbed me about Ignatieff was that he had not resided in Canada for so many years and returned in the hopes of becoming PM. It had nothing to do with the citizenships he held. As I recall, the Tories' anti-Ignatieff campaign, the residency aspect is what was primarily attacked.

Here's what CTV reported for Mulcair's rebuttal.

"We celebrate our diversity, we have a minister responsible for multiculturalism. But when push comes to shove, if you give him half a chance, the real Stephen Harper comes out (suggesting) 'I'm more Canadian than you are because my family doesn't have a background in different countries,"' Mulcair said.

"It's a reflection of profoundly parochial and insular thinking."

"I think a lot of the cultural communities who have been so assiduously courted by the Conservatives over the past six years are going to be surprised to learn that the Conservative prime minister believes that you're more Canadian if your family doesn't have a dual background."

http://m.ctv.ca/topstories/20120117/thomas-mulcair-defends-dual-citizenship-120117.html

(sorry, it's the mobile link)

I didn't post the whole article, but it's almost as brutal as the curb stomping Jon Stewart put on Bill O'Reilly over Common visiting the White House.

Edited by cybercoma

What rubbed me about Ignatieff was that he had not resided in Canada for so many years and returned in the hopes of becoming PM. It had nothing to do with the citizenships he held. As I recall, the Tories' anti-Ignatieff campaign, the residency aspect is what was primarily attacked.

So you have no problem with Mulcair's French citizenship then, considering that he's lived and worked in Canada his whole life? Cool, glad we're on the same page.

Who said it was a hardship? I certainly didn't. I said it makes things easier by having it. His wife is a French citizen and his children have dual-citizenship. It obviously makes it easier for him to travel with his family if he holds dual-citizenship. Those that would deny him this would effectively make it more difficult for him to travel with his wife and children who hold French citizenships. He would have to queue in a separate line from them and take longer to go through customs. I'm saying people that don't think he should have dual-citizenship must hate his children because they would make it more difficult for him to travel and spend time with them when they're with family in France.

You really think that those who don't like the idea of a PM or possible PM with split loyalties are even thinking about his or her children?

Again, you REALLY like to make stretches!

You really think that those who don't like the idea of a PM or possible PM with split loyalties are even thinking about his or her children?

Again, you REALLY like to make stretches!

Not conservative voters like yourself they hate family as you have shown. However progressives who actually care about family will.

Edited by punked

I didn't post the whole article, but it's almost as brutal as the curb stomping Jon Stewart put on Bill O'Reilly over Common visiting the White House.

Mulcair moved the goalposts. Nobody cares about someone being born with dual citizenship. It's like being baptized as a baby - it wasn't your choice to join that church!

No, the difference is that Mulcair made a conscious, adult choice to split his loyalties. Citizenship is more than just a bureaucratic convenience. It is a solemn oath of allegiance! If it means as little as Mulcair is making out then I think I would have good reason to question his loyalties.

So being loyal to your country first and foremost is "profoundly parochial and insular thinking". And questioning divided loyalties is an attack on children!

While we're at it, why don't we try to save the unborn baby whales from drunk drivers and nuclear bombs?

Man, talk about your tight assed thinking!