Face veils banned for citizenship oaths

Guest American Woman

Sorry, you're losing me, cc. I'll never deny that our culture places a lot of importance on women's looks but it's definitely going too far to say that women can't be appreciated for anything else. I appreciate women for other things, for starters. (I definitely don't mark my female students based on their looks, for one thing.) I'm sure you do.

oh you're a dude? I thought you were a chick going by your screen name Evening Star

my bad .. I should read the side panel more often

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of people like me pointing out that society is sexist and raising consciousness about it? Screw you too! It's because of people like you that would rather ignore it and keep it in the dark that it still happens!

Men AND Women are treated as sex objects equally.. the difference between our culture and the Muslim culture is ours isn't religious and theirs is which makes it worse than ours because there's not much else worse out there than religious oppression

I've got your equality right here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/22/women-film-study-annenberg_n_1107899.html

women are much more frequently sexualized when they appear on screen. They're more likely to be seen in sexy clothing (25.8 percent to men at 4.7 percent) and more likely to be partially naked (23.6 percent to 7.4 percent).

Women are also more likely to feel the affect of their age on their career. Though teen girls (12-20 year olds) are more likely than adult women, 21-39, to be shown as sexy, or partially naked -- 21.5 percent to 13.8. But older women, aged 40-64, are not only less likely to be shown as attractive (3.8 percent), but less likely to be shown at all. Only 24 percent of all characters aged 40 to 64 are female.

Yeah... our culture really treats men and women equally. Does art reflect our culture or does our culture reflect the art?

"on screen" where they sell sex is not indicative of people in the real world

Right. Media is completely innocuous. It doesn't matter how women are portrayed. It has nothing at all to do with anything. Go watch the Miss Representation trailer above and learn how completely wrong you are here.

Watch the trailer above and if you can find the movie, watch the entire thing. You'll see what I mean.

I watched the trailer. I don't disagree with its points but I think it's going too far to say that women can't be appreciated for anything other than their looks in our culture. (Margaret Cho and Rachel Maddow themselves are prominent media personalities for one thing.) I gave you an example in the academic sphere. There are many brilliant women scholars whose work I appreciate without even knowing what the women look like in some cases.

(I mean, I think I'm still closer to your side of this than to olp1fan's.)

Edited by Evening Star

I watched the trailer. I don't disagree with its points but I think it's going too far to say that women can't be appreciated for anything other than their looks in our culture. (Margaret Cho and Rachel Maddow themselves are prominent media personalities.) I gave you an example in the academic sphere. There are many brilliant women scholars whose work I appreciate without even knowing what the women look like in some cases.

(I mean, I think I'm closer to your side of this than to olp1fan's.)

Academia. Great example. Where most women drop out before they end up with their PhDs because they end up having families and are expected by our society to choose between family and career. A problem that men don't have. Academia where women are completely underrepresented in engineering, sciences, and business. While being over-represented in the Arts. Which degrees are more valuable? As far as the arts go, isn't it odd that nearly 3/4 of SSHRC grants at the Masters level go to women, while by the time it comes to PhD grants its more like 50/50, even though women typically make up closer to 3/4 of Arts faculty students. Kudos to you for grading them on the same scale though. They're still not valued for their minds.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/economy-lab/daily-mix/number-of-stay-at-home-dads-on-the-rise/article2065381/

Stay-at-home dads across the land, rejoice. You’re not alone.

The number of men self-identifying as stay-at-home dads has increased threefold over the past 30 years, a Statistics Canada study found.

The same study shows that the number of stay-at-home dads has been enjoying a gradual ascent, reaching 60,000 in 2011, up from 20,000 in 1976. Men now account for 12 per cent of stay-at-home parents, compared with only 4 per cent in 1986.

What makes you say that?

http://brewright.blogspot.com/2007/08/10-least-religious-counties-in-world.html

1. Sweden (up to 85% non-believer, atheist, agnostic)

2. Vietnam

3. Denmark

4. Norway

5. Japan

6. Czech Republic

7. Finland

8. France

9. South Korea

10. Estonia (up to 49% non-believer, atheist, agnostic)

11. Germany

12. Russia

13. Hungary

14. Netherlands

15. Britain

16. Belgium

17. Bulgaria

18. Slovenia

19. Israel

20. Canada (up to 30% non-believer, atheist, agnostic)

Guest Derek L

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/economy-lab/daily-mix/number-of-stay-at-home-dads-on-the-rise/article2065381/

The number of men self-identifying as stay-at-home dads has increased threefold over the past 30 years, a Statistics Canada study found.

The same study shows that the number of stay-at-home dads has been enjoying a gradual ascent, reaching 60,000 in 2011, up from 20,000 in 1976. Men now account for 12 per cent of stay-at-home parents, compared with only 4 per cent in 1986.

What’s your point? I work from home…… :huh:

Academia. Great example. Where most women drop out before they end up with their PhDs because they end up having families and are expected by our society to choose between family and career. A problem that men don't have. Academia where women are completely underrepresented in engineering, sciences, and business. While being over-represented in the Arts. Which degrees are more valuable? As far as the arts go, isn't it odd that nearly 3/4 of SSHRC grants at the Masters level go to women, while by the time it comes to PhD grants its more like 50/50, even though women typically make up closer to 3/4 of Arts faculty students. Kudos to you for grading them on the same scale though. They're still not valued for their minds.

I'm not saying women don't face challenges. I'm saying that women can be appreciated for qualities other than their looks (and I don't think these points contradict that). I'd be the first to say that it should happen more often but it's going too far to say that it doesn't happen at all (and that's the reason why any woman enjoys being admired for her looks). Presumably the women who are getting 75% of MA-level SSHRC grants and 50% of PhD-level SSHRC grants are not getting them based on a head shot.

That's wonderful. In the national child surveys that I've used for studies, questions are asked of the person most knowledgeable of the child. You know how many of those are men? 9%. An overwhelming 91% of respondents are women. You know how many fathers take parental leave instead of mothers in the first year of a child's life? About the same percentage. So if you're trying to make some point that men and women have an equal pressure upon them when it comes to choosing between family or career, might I suggest that you're about as wrong as saying earth is the 4th planet from the sun.

Guest Derek L

http://brewright.blogspot.com/2007/08/10-least-religious-counties-in-world.html

1. Sweden (up to 85% non-believer, atheist, agnostic)

2. Vietnam

3. Denmark

4. Norway

5. Japan

6. Czech Republic

7. Finland

8. France

9. South Korea

10. Estonia (up to 49% non-believer, atheist, agnostic)

11. Germany

12. Russia

13. Hungary

14. Netherlands

15. Britain

16. Belgium

17. Bulgaria

18. Slovenia

19. Israel

20. Canada (up to 30% non-believer, atheist, agnostic)

How did the author collect his data?

According to this Wiki article, which draws it's research from the Census:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada#Demographics

According to the 2001 census, 77.1% of Canadians identify as being Christians; of this, Catholics make up the largest group, accounting for 43.6% of the population. The largest Protestant denomination is the United Church of Canada (accounting for 9.5% of Canadians), followed by Anglicans (6.8%), Baptists (2.4%), Lutherans (2%), and other Christian denominations (4.4%). About 16.5% of Canadians declare no religious affiliation, and the remaining 6.3% are affiliated with non-Christian religions, the largest of which are Islam (2.0%) and Judaism (1.1%).[182]

Only ~16.5% declare no religious affiliation......

How did the author collect his data?

According to this Wiki article, which draws it's research from the Census:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada#Demographics

Only ~16.5% declare no religious affiliation......

yeah wikipedia is totally reliable ..not

religiones.gif

http://www.kirainet.com/english/the-least-religious-countries/

Edited by olp1fan