Will Layton form a coalition if NDP finish 2nd place?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya I know the fear but I just don't think it will happen as long as the liberals carve out their own distinct centerist policy...that fear was also a concern for ndp supporters when they cozied up with the liberals but it just never happened...

As I detailed elsewhere, the problem is that the NDP and Tories are going to be even more so staking out centrist ground. They're going to smell the bleeding Liberal corpse and they will want that core of voters. With the Liberals and Bloc out of the way, it means there is a strong potential in the next election for someone to win a majority. Both sides will be looking to wring the Liberals' necks. I'd say survival is 50-50 at this point.

ya I know the fear but I just don't think it will happen as long as the liberals carve out their own distinct centerist policy...that fear was also a concern for ndp supporters when they cozied up with the liberals but it just never happened...

But the NDP weren't in the position of weakness the LPC currently is. They're in a very precarious position at the moment. Their support is waning and are in severe need of vision, good leadership and renewal. If they don't turn the ship around soon, they will end up being absorbed, I don't see this as a bad thing. I think the LPC could do a great deal to moderate the NDP and bring them more to the centre. We need a party like the old LPC, and either the NDP rises to the occassions or the LPC will be back in a decade or so, renewed and retooled to fill the political void.

But the NDP weren't in the position of weakness the LPC currently is. They're in a very precarious position at the moment. Their support is waning and are in severe need of vision, good leadership and renewal. If they don't turn the ship around soon, they will end up being absorbed, I don't see this as a bad thing. I think the LPC could do a great deal to moderate the NDP and bring them more to the centre. We need a party like the old LPC, and either the NDP rises to the occassions or the LPC will be back in a decade or so, renewed and retooled to fill the political void.

..Or another berserkly right-wing party emerges to collect up the wing-nuts, leaving the Conservatives to be nicely centrist conservative, with a soupcon of 'progressive' for spice.

Edit: Sadly, I fear it'll take a generation to get there. Some terrible people have to finish their careers and move on.

Edited by Molly

Are you kidding?

If Layton finishes second to a Tory Minority he'll be camped on the Governor Generals lawn before sundown on May 2. He'll say, do or promise anything to anybody to be PM. Obviously.

His only other option is to enjoy months or years of the Dion Diet, which consists solely of turd sandwiches forcefed to him by Harper.

When has Layton ever not wanted to be relevant for the first time in NDP history? He'll do it if the Libs or Bloc finished second too. The Bloc would leap like trout to be part of anything that gets them a seat at The Big Table. The Liberals need badly to be in the news until they can replace Iggy, and that is better done from govt than the backbenches, so they'll do it too. Iggy may have promised not to be part of a coalition, but none of the potential interim leaders of the Libs said that...

The only outcomes now are: Tory majority or Iggy/Jack as PM. You pick 'em.

Hahaha... "Leap like trout." I love it. I also agree with this.. If the NDP become the official opposition there's not a chance in hell that Layton will put up with Harper, he will instead form a coalition and probably end up having Harper brought up on criminal charges for contempt of parliament... I'm not saying he'll get a conviction but it would be well worth it to ruin Harper's already miniscule credibility.

Please check out my facebook page and vote ABC. Anything but Conservative.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ABC-Anything-But-Conservative/166842386705018?sk=info

On a slightly more relaxed note you will probably all enjoy this...

..Or another berserkly right-wing party emerges to collect up the wing-nuts, leaving the Conservatives to be nicely centrist conservative, with a soupcon of 'progressive' for spice.

Edit: Sadly, I fear it'll take a generation to get there. Some terrible people have to finish their careers and move on.

I would also find this acceptable, I don't care which one decides to truly move up the middle as long as one of them does. I just think it's more likely that the NDP will do so. The CPC already have a solid support base, the NDP appear to be just now finding their footing and have the most to gain by moving more to the centre.