McGuinty's Cowardice on Display

Argus

To update:

The former Brown/Chatwell residence on Argle St. S. in Caledonia, Ontario is being demolished today.

Isn't that interesting? All the talk from folks denying that the SN protests have hurt real estate values in Caledonia yet here is a perfectly good home being demolished. Obviously no one ever expected it could be resold.

What a waste!

Anyhow, my sources tell me that Caledonia is indeed the armpit of real estate sales these days! I feel sorry for all those ordinary folks that have had their life's equity severely hit.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that interesting? All the talk from folks denying that the SN protests have hurt real estate values in Caledonia yet here is a perfectly good home being demolished. Obviously no one ever expected it could be resold.

What a waste!

Anyhow, my sources tell me that Caledonia is indeed the armpit of real estate sales these days! I feel sorry for all those ordinary folks that have had their life's equity severely hit.

I am a resident of Caledonia Wild Bill. The value of my home in 2006 was $255,000. In 2009 it was valued at $272,000. I don't know who your source is in Caledonia but they may what to get their facts straight. Either that or you may want to find yourself a more reliable source.

Yes there are some home values that are recovering from the land dispute. But Caledonia is far from the armpit of real estate sales these days. 6 houses on my street sold in the last 3 weeks, and new home sales in Caledonia (yes you read that correctly NEW HOME SALES IN CALEDONIA) are selling upwards of $300K in the new subdivision off of Stirling Street.

I am a resident of Caledonia Wild Bill. The value of my home in 2006 was $255,000. In 2009 it was valued at $272,000. I don't know who your source is in Caledonia but they may what to get their facts straight. Either that or you may want to find yourself a more reliable source.

Yes there are some home values that are recovering from the land dispute. But Caledonia is far from the armpit of real estate sales these days. 6 houses on my street sold in the last 3 weeks, and new home sales in Caledonia (yes you read that correctly NEW HOME SALES IN CALEDONIA) are selling upwards of $300K in the new subdivision off of Stirling Street.

Interesting. We're getting conflicting stories. Have you noticed any differences between different parts of town, perhaps those farthest away from the disputed areas being less affected?

My sources are with ReMax. Maybe it's just ReMax that's doing poorly.

Interesting. We're getting conflicting stories. Have you noticed any differences between different parts of town, perhaps those farthest away from the disputed areas being less affected?

My sources are with ReMax. Maybe it's just ReMax that's doing poorly.

There is no doubt that those homes on 6th Line, Oneida Rd and 7th Line are the greatest affected. If there is difficulty selling (and there is in those areas) it is directly a result of their geographic location. The homes in the subdivision bordering the other side of the former Douglas Creek Estates are selling. Again, there can be no question that the value of the homes was impacted, however, the market for those homes is improving.

I live approx a kilometer away from the land dispute. The real estate market in this location has never faultered. As an example, the house next to me has sold 3 times in the last 3 1/2 years with the sale figure increasing steadily each time. The longest it has taken to sell a home in this area is about 6 months and that was because it was over priced when it was listed.

If people keep saying their homes have lost value, what do you think is going to happen?? Their homes will sell for less. That's not rocket science, but it is what attracts the carpet baggers.

Two very good friends of mine work for RE/MAX in the Caledonia area. They are swamped. I suppose real estate agents are just like any other self employed individual...you get out of it what you put in.