Harper faces heat over Canada Day cash

BS. Harper does nothing to "secure western support". He still has it and will as long as he's not Liberal. The man is a turncoat to western Canada, but he will still receive the votes from here. I'd love to see him truly "throw Kwebek under a bus", but it won't happen.

He secured the west's support by calling all Quebcers separatists. It is why Quebecer are not exactly enamoured of Harper's tactics.

He secured the west's support by calling all Quebcers separatists. It is why Quebecer are not exactly enamoured of Harper's tactics.

Bah. The Conservatives support in western Canada can be summed up neatly in one statement.

They're not Liberals.

I would think that since there is a recession and spending out millions to any province for Canada Day would be really stupid and careless. I think the one in Ottawa would be enough unless communities did it on their own. How much are they spending on the Olympics? Quebec will take the money and say thank you and vote for the Libs or NDP on election day. No wonder Canada is in a mess.

We see the intense dislike, even hatred towards Quebec here every day.

Given the feeling that many Tories have to devolving powers to the provinces, you would think that Harper would have found common cause with Quebec. Instead, he turned on them in a red hot minute.

I believe Ignatieff has already said that Quebec shouldn't get everything carte blanche. Perhaps if Harper had stuck to the idea that his party was best for representing Quebec's voters, he would not be in the position he is. He threw the province under the bus to secure his western support and hold continued power.

By cancelling two little-known arts programs?

The West, like me, is not so much enormored of the Tories as they are disgusted by you guys.

and I don't think that Harper's talk about separatists was particularly insulting to Quebecers - though of course, they're an group who are eagerly looking for insults. Tory support in Quebec started plunging during the election - as a result of the BQ more than the Liberals - and simply didn't stop.

The West, like me, is not so much enormored of the Tories as they are disgusted by you guys.

Well, there seem to be fewer of you who are disgusted as there used to be.

and I don't think that Harper's talk about separatists was particularly insulting to Quebecers - though of course, they're an group who are eagerly looking for insults. Tory support in Quebec started plunging during the election - as a result of the BQ more than the Liberals - and simply didn't stop.

Tory support was not that bad during the election. They certainly misplayed things but there wasn't total ill feeling towards Harper. There is certainly a change of view now that he attacked people who voted BQ.

It was among BQ voters that Harper had the best chance of winning more Quebec seats. The Liberal vote had all bust collapsed so it wasn't like they were going to win seats from those voters.

By cancelling two little-known arts programs?

It was a little more than that. The BQ ran a good campaign.

It is annoying how they do that but they do and have beaten Liberals and Tories in the process. It was Harper's belligerence following the election that has whithered his support and puts him in danger of losing all his Quebec seats.