Question for aboriginals in Canada.

To say that Canadian culture is American culture is repugnant, and is a further example of how little leafless actually knows about this country.

To me it wasn't 100% clear that he was saying that Canadian culture and US culture are the same, or if just the English aspect of them is the same. if he meant the latter, then he's certainly at least partially right, at least as applies to English Canadians and English americans.

So and your ilk on this board all support the legislated and therefore official suppression of an official language in one of our provinces.

English and French are not official on a provincial level. When you could not put English on a sign...that was bad....now that it has to be in both languages, it isn't so bad.

To me it wasn't 100% clear that he was saying that Canadian culture and US culture are the same, or if just the English aspect of them is the same. if he meant the latter, then he's certainly at least partially right, at least as applies to English Canadians and English americans.

Even English Canadians and English Americans are different...and that's not what he meant...he was saying that Canada has a whilte English culture and nothing else...everyting else is foreign and unwelcome.

Notwithstanding that in the true sense there is no such thing as a definable "Canadian culture", the cultural ethic in Canada does not resemble the Americans or the British. There are smackings of French and native cultures intermingled in our society but that doe not make it a Canadian culture. It is just individual cultures in a multi-cultural context.

As is true of many large nations, and even some small ones.

:lol::lol:

You are quite out to lunch

So and your ilk on this board all support the legislated and therefore official suppression of an official language in one of our provinces.

If that were to take place elsewhere you would cry foul.

Had you bothered reading my response, you would have seen that I was not defending the Quebec legislation, but merely pointing out that I would be just as opposed to it elsewhere as I am to it in Quebec. You seem to be suggesting that we apply it in other provinces too, thus spreading the problem even more.

When it is equal for all in kebec - I will change my tune - until then kebec is a racist province and does not deserve the kid glove treatment it gets.

So in other words, you want to suppress people outside of Quebec to punish Quebec? Brilliant.

Certainly those in the north are finding this to be true.

Good for them - I support their plan completely

Do not try to divert - it makes you look bad

Borg

Remember I'm the one who'd posted the link. Though I would certainly support de-officializing french in the NWT, that's a far cry from your suggestion of suppressing it.

English and French are not official on a provincial level. When you could not put English on a sign...that was bad....now that it has to be in both languages, it isn't so bad.

A weak dick answer - if it was applied the same in another province you would cry foul - do not give me crap from your elevated perch - you may not like my tone but you should be man enough to stand up and tell the truth rather than hide behind a book

Time to stop studying and get put and learn what the real world is all about.

Borg

So in other words, you want to suppress people outside of Quebec to punish Quebec? Brilliant.

Nope I want equality in kebec - when that happens I will be happy - until then you run from the truth and are happy to see Anglos persecuted there in order to promote their agenda outside the province of kebec..

Seems to me you are showing - yet again - you are two faced.

Borg

Not unless that other province was Ontario, Manitoba, or New Brunswick.

Another weak dick response - the rules in kebec are quite anti anglo - no fines in any province for a sign in any language - except of course kebec - thank heavens those in the north are showing some back bone

Borg

Those in the north still have to keep English and French...they have no choise because they are not separate jurisdictions from the federal government. Your hatred for French Canadian people is rather telling of your character.

Nope I want equality in kebec - when that happens I will be happy - until then you run from the truth and are happy to see Anglos persecuted there in order to promote their agenda outside the province of kebec..

Seems to me you are showing - yet again - you are two faced.

Borg

I would also like for Quebec to stop restricting the rights of English-speakers just as I'd like to see the NWT not waste so much money on French-language services for such a small population of French-speakers there.

I see nothing wrong with one official language in Quebec as it does save money on translation, but at the same time beleive that it sould let the private sector alone and leave it up to individual local governments to adopt their own official language according to local circumstances.

Likewise, while I don't support spending on official French in the NWT, I would oppose restrictions to the language there just as I'd oppose controls on English in quebec.

Same standard both ways, so where's the hypocricy?

Another weak dick response - the rules in kebec are quite anti anglo - no fines in any province for a sign in any language - except of course kebec - thank heavens those in the north are showing some back bone

Borg

It's not about 'getting back at Quebec', but rather the pointlessness of making French official in the NWT. Nothing to do with Quebec, so why do you keep bringing Quebec into it. Now if we were discussing Quebec, I'd fully agree that the sign law is ridiculous.

They still have to print laws and operate the courts in English and French.

For essentials, I'm fine with that. I just don't think that they should be spending money on teaching English to their civil servants who live in La Malbaie, for example. Some translation and interpretation is fine and unavoidable, but not make it official, institutionalize it, and make it required where it's not even needed.