Harper government to sell AECL reactor business

I think the government is making a large mistake. There is a new Candu design that is very promising. In addition there are numerous other new reactor designs that look very good, more than worthy of attention and investment. The Conservative movement has a long track record at selling crown corporations at a loss and then have those same corporations turn around and make large profits. Just don't look too carefully into who sits on the boards and who gets in on the IPO's, you won't like it very much.

Guest gnu222

I am 43 yrs old. I took Political Science in University but only managed to get through two years.I was interested in the political process but I guess I was too smart for my own good.Text book politics are not and have not been practiced in Canada for a very long time. I dare say we are not even a Democracy anymore except for the election process,which barely qualifies.Let's face it.Unless you have a lot of money,are well connected,have a masters in B.S. and a doctorate in rhetoric,you will never get elected.I( and I am not alone in this) liken government to the most powerful crime syndicate there is.They make the laws,they enforce the laws,they change the laws and they break the laws.When was the last time a Canadian politician received any jail time for either blatantly stealing or misspending Canadian taxpayers money?But I am getting way off track here.

Canada is the ultimate Country in the world.We have great people,we are a tolerant(sometimes too tolerant) people.We are enormous.We have a population of a mere 35 million,massive lands and lakes and resources like no others.Finally ,I get to my point.How many people out there think that Canada would be in a deficit situation ever,if the government (which is essentially supposed to represent and do the bidding of you and I)maintained ownership of and controlled and benefitted from all of our natural resources.We have oil,we have diamonds,we have gold,we have uranium,potash,wheat,plutonium,natural gas, coal,lumber.Feel free to add to that list because I am sure I have missed a few.Now we want to sell off the future of energy production and medical isotopes.To my understanding,the privatization of utilities such as hydro were done because the government was losing money.That was probably more likely due to poor management than anything else,All it would take is a restructuring of the operational approach and some accountability.That is something that seems to be non existent in our country.Correct me if I am wrong but we already have about 1 in every seven Canadians working for the government.Add in all the people on EI and welfare and what's the number ?Governments privatize so their friends and contacts in their elite little group can become even wealthier than before.Why should the country and it's millions of citizens prosper when all the money can go into the hands of a select few.Last year in one fiscal quarter,Exxon reported 11 billion dollars in profits.That's roughly one quarter of Flaherty's projected deficit for this year.I know I am wasting my time writing this because I think it is already too late.We have failed all those who came before us.The intentions and efforts of those who established and founded our country were not for all of the riches and potential prosperity of this great country to build mansions and yachts and massive fortunes for individuals while our health care system fails,our tax burden surpasses all others.Canada belongs to Canadians,whether born here or immigrated.Canada does not belong to politicians who supposedly work for us.The resources of this country also belong to us,not rich Americans or multi- national corporations.Canadians should be the ones benefitting from all her riches.When are we going to do our job as Canadians and make our employees (politicians) do their job.We need to voice our outrage and demand the prosperity that is possible to all Canadians.With the wealth our Country has,we not only should not be paying any taxes but should be receiving dividends every year. When will the world change so that 95 % of the wealth is in 95 % of the hands in stead of 5 % in 95 % of the hands. Sounds like Communism doesn't it.They have done a good job of demonizing that word so that they could cunningly make all their friends and themselves rich. So in closing ,I say don't sell AECL. Get our politicians to work more than 3 months a year and run it efficiently and bring Canada to the forefront of nuclear technology.make some profit and save Canadians more taxes and more importantly,control a potentially dangerous and hazardous industry.i am not sure I want to leave the handling of nuclear waste in the hands of a bottom line watching private company.

I am 43 yrs old. I took Political Science in University but only managed to get through two years.I was interested in the political process but I guess I was too smart for my own good.Text book politics are not and have not been practiced in Canada for a very long time. I dare say we are not even a Democracy anymore except for the election process,which barely qualifies.Let's face it.Unless you have a lot of money,are well connected,have a masters in B.S. and a doctorate in rhetoric,you will never get elected.I( and I am not alone in this) liken government to the most powerful crime syndicate there is.They make the laws,they enforce the laws,they change the laws and they break the laws.When was the last time a Canadian politician received any jail time for either blatantly stealing or misspending Canadian taxpayers money?But I am getting way off track here.

Canada is the ultimate Country in the world.We have great people,we are a tolerant(sometimes too tolerant) people.We are enormous.We have a population of a mere 35 million,massive lands and lakes and resources like no others.Finally ,I get to my point.How many people out there think that Canada would be in a deficit situation ever,if the government (which is essentially supposed to represent and do the bidding of you and I)maintained ownership of and controlled and benefitted from all of our natural resources.We have oil,we have diamonds,we have gold,we have uranium,potash,wheat,plutonium,natural gas, coal,lumber.Feel free to add to that list because I am sure I have missed a few.Now we want to sell off the future of energy production and medical isotopes.To my understanding,the privatization of utilities such as hydro were done because the government was losing money.That was probably more likely due to poor management than anything else,All it would take is a restructuring of the operational approach and some accountability.That is something that seems to be non existent in our country.Correct me if I am wrong but we already have about 1 in every seven Canadians working for the government.Add in all the people on EI and welfare and what's the number ?Governments privatize so their friends and contacts in their elite little group can become even wealthier than before.Why should the country and it's millions of citizens prosper when all the money can go into the hands of a select few.Last year in one fiscal quarter,Exxon reported 11 billion dollars in profits.That's roughly one quarter of Flaherty's projected deficit for this year.I know I am wasting my time writing this because I think it is already too late.We have failed all those who came before us.The intentions and efforts of those who established and founded our country were not for all of the riches and potential prosperity of this great country to build mansions and yachts and massive fortunes for individuals while our health care system fails,our tax burden surpasses all others.Canada belongs to Canadians,whether born here or immigrated.Canada does not belong to politicians who supposedly work for us.The resources of this country also belong to us,not rich Americans or multi- national corporations.Canadians should be the ones benefitting from all her riches.When are we going to do our job as Canadians and make our employees (politicians) do their job.We need to voice our outrage and demand the prosperity that is possible to all Canadians.With the wealth our Country has,we not only should not be paying any taxes but should be receiving dividends every year. When will the world change so that 95 % of the wealth is in 95 % of the hands in stead of 5 % in 95 % of the hands. Sounds like Communism doesn't it.They have done a good job of demonizing that word so that they could cunningly make all their friends and themselves rich. So in closing ,I say don't sell AECL. Get our politicians to work more than 3 months a year and run it efficiently and bring Canada to the forefront of nuclear technology.make some profit and save Canadians more taxes and more importantly,control a potentially dangerous and hazardous industry.i am not sure I want to leave the handling of nuclear waste in the hands of a bottom line watching private company.

Of all the comments on the subject; yours raises all the main points to think about. I could not put it more correctly:

1. The Canadian Government (our MPs) should serve us;
    Nuclear should not be privatized at the cost of our health, environment and security;
  2. Crown Asset should be managed adequately by responsible people (the only one that raised a flag on heavy water leaks was fired);
  3. Canada's resources should be benefiting its people;
  4. 100% Canada belongs to 100% Canadian!