DND lost $300M from poor accounting, AG says

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

The Department of National Defence lost $300 million in funding in 2008 because it failed to keep track of a budget surplus, the auditor general said.

In her spring report tabled in Parliament on Tuesday, Sheila Fraser said defence officials did not provide information to managers quickly enough, so they did not know how much unspent money the department had for the 2007-08 fiscal year.

Kind of a kick in the head. The government budgets the money for DND and it isn't spent.

The military has to look at their organization. I can imagine $300 million would have gone a long way to help in some areas that DND deemed important.

Turf the management. This wouldn't fly in the corporate world. Well, unless your a US bank... but that's another story...

Defence minister and CDS?

Or up higher as in the PM?

Edited by jdobbin

Once again Dobbin, your thread title is misleading.

From the OP:

The Department of National Defence lost $300 million in funding in 2008 because it failed to keep track of a budget surplus, the auditor general said.

On March 31, it reported a surplus of $268 million, then later acknowledged it had risen to $500 million. But the department can only carry forward a maximum of $200 million, so it lost access to $300 million.

DND didn't "lose" $300 million. They gave up $300 million in credits because they didn't spend the money. I would rather have bureaucrats not spending the money rather than spending it on nonsense.

If DND needs the money next year, it can be re-allocated to it. (I don't know why Fraser says otherwise.)

Once again Dobbin, your thread title is misleading.

Once again, my threat title comes from what CTV wrote and not a word more or less.

I am a little tired of people saying the titles are mine. Complain to CTV.

DND didn't "lose" $300 million. They gave up $300 million in credits because they didn't spend the money. I would rather have bureaucrats not spending the money rather than spending it on nonsense.

If DND needs the money next year, it can be re-allocated to it. (I don't know why Fraser says otherwise.)

And you can complain to Fraser. She says the money was lost in this fiscal year and she is right.

Minister and CDS will be fine I think.

I've been of the opinion for some time now that every officer over the rank of captain should be fired, and then they can start over without the legions of brown nosing careerist bureacrats who call themselves officers.

DND has more HR staffers than it has actual soldiers. Think about that and what it says about the management, both civilian and uniformed, over there.