Steeltown woos aboriginal festival from Toronto

Steeltown woos aboriginal festival from Toronto

Organizers say they didn't get enough respect

April 08, 2009

Graham Rockingham

The Hamilton Spectator

(Apr 8, 2009)

To the Cayuga of the Six Nations, Hamilton is known as Kah-nah-go' -- which means the place "in the valley."

For the next three years, Kah-nah-go' (the phonetic spelling of the word) will host the largest native powwow in the country.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger joined local native leaders yesterday to announce that the 16th annual Canadian Aboriginal Festival will be held in downtown Hamilton Nov. 26 to 29, with as many as 40,000 people in attendance.

It will mark the first time the event has been held outside Toronto, and festival organizers say they hope to make Hamilton its permanent home, guaranteeing that it will remain here for at least the next three years.

"It's quite a coup for Hamilton to host this great aboriginal event," the mayor told a news conference yesterday at Copps Coliseum, one of the host venues for the festival. "Every time we take one away from Toronto, it brings a little bit of joy."

Festival organizers said they hoped to make Hamilton the permanent home of the festival, which attracts as many as 40,000 people, and guaranteed it would stay in that city for at least the next three years.

[/i]

more ....

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/545047

Oh excellent! Looking forward to this!

Darling, Don't Cry ... Red Bull Singers

And by Buffy Ste Marie

And dancers

Local: Hamilton History - Native Indians & Early Explorers

The first humans, the Clovis people, arrived in Niagara Region almost 12,000 years ago, around the time of the birth of the Falls, when the land was tundra with spruce forests. These nomadic hunters camped along the old Lake Erie shoreline, in small dwellings, and left little behind except chipped stones, likely used to hunt caribou, mastodons, moose and elk.

By 9,500 years ago deciduous forest covered southernmost Ontario, supporting wildlife like deer, moose, fish and plants, enabling small groups to hunt in the winter, coming together into larger groups during the summer, to fish at shorelines and at the mouths of rivers.

About 2,000 years ago, the Woodland Period brought Iroquois culture in southern Ontario. These peoples began agriculture based on crops of corn, bean and squash, which supported a boom in population and a rich culture with small palisaded villages in which extended families occupied individual longhouses. They developed ceramics technology and forged strong inter-village alliances.

By the time the European explorers and missionaries arrived in the early 1600s, the Iroquoian villages had elected chiefs and were allied within powerful tribal confederacies. The Neutral Indians were the leaders of a group of ten tribes of the Iroquois Nation. Other tribes included the Seneca, Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga, Huron, Petun, Erie and the Susquehannock. The French explorers , gave this Indian tribe the name "Neutrals", because of their position and status as peace keepers between the warring Hurons and Iroquois. Unfortunately, inter-tribal warfare was made worse by the intrusion of the Europeans.

Niagara Falls In May 1535, Jacques Cartier left France to explore the New World, and was told by the Indians he met along the St. Lawrence River about Niagara Falls. When Samuel de Champlain visited Canada in 1608, he too heard the stories, but it was Etienne Brule, who in 1615 was the first European to see Hamilton on his explorations of Lakes Ontario, Erie Huron and Superior. Lasalle also visited the area, a fact commemorated at a park in nearby Burlington. These were followed shortly by the Recollet missionary explorers, and a decade later by the Jesuits

In 1641 the Onguiaahra Indians (also called the "Neutral" Indians) were the predominant tribe along the Niagara River, and The Iroquois Confederacy or Five (later Six) Nations first occupied the land now covered by Hamilton. The French initiated a fur- trade rivalry between the Huron and Iroquois, which turned into a 6 year long Indian war which pushed the Huron Nation to the north and scattered them throughout Ontario. The Iroquois moved into the Niagara area, pushing the Neutral Indians eastward to the area of Albany, New York. The wars also managing to keep Europeans settlers away until after the American Revolution.

Get over it, Bill. They have.

It has nothing to do with this topic.

If Six Nations is included then it has everything to do with this festival.

I don't want my children going anywhere near it! Six Nations has already shown that they will inflict harm on innocents as a method of protest.

I have no problem with any other aboriginal tribe but Six Nation's TACTICS have broken my trust! Until they acknowledge what they did and apologize to those they have harmed I cannot feel comfortable anywhere around them. Not to say that ALL SN people are a problem! I still have friends there who also disapproved of the protest tactics. However, if I were around some who I did not know I would be exceedingly cautious.

To do otherwise would be illogical and going against proven actions.

Gee, I'm surprised it's not being held in Caledonia!

I'll bet it will be hard to get a CHCH-TV cameraman to cover the event.

You think CHCH will be around by then??? IIRC everyone jumped on the CKRZ trashing wagon because it ran into financial difficulties because of declining revenues. Everyone jumped the shark and said it was because of their reporting on Land Claims. Shortly afterwards, as I had suggested, every media outlet across Canada is bleeding revenue and jobs, including CHCH.

Hamilton should be happy to receive anykind of event to boost their economy.

Although I am very surprised that Hamilton would take on this event, and very surprised by the comments of the Hamilton Mayor.

Canadian Aboriginal Festival - Education Day – Friday, November 27th, 2009

Hamilton, April 7, 2009 - Copps Coliseum will become the world’s largest classroom when up to 7,000 students and teachers converge on the site for the Canadian Aboriginal Festival’s Education Day.

The day is organized with the assistance and support of the Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario, the Ontario Teachers Federation, the Ontario English Catholic Teachers Association, Indian and Northern Affairs, the Ministry of Education and Hydro One.

The students from Hamilton and surrounding areas will have a number of topic options from the thirty teaching stations in the coliseum ranging from heritage and culture, traditional games, dancing and more. The majority of the teaching stations are participatory.

All of the teachings are directly tied to the school curriculum for Native Studies through the use of teaching guides prepared by the Aboriginal Teachers Committee of the Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario.

Cool!

FACT SHEET

The Canadian Aboriginal Festival

Copps Coliseum in Hamilton, Ontario CANADA

November 27th to 29th, 2009

Friday, November 27th (Education Day): 9:00 am – 2:00 pm

Saturday, November 28th: 9:00 am – 10:00 pm

Sunday, November 29th: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm

The CAMA Gala VIP Dinner & Pre-Awards Show

Hamilton Convention Centre, Hamilton, Ontario CANADA

Thursday, November 26th, 2009, 7 pm

The Canadian Aboriginal Music Awards

Hamilton Place Theatre in Hamilton, Ontario CANADA

Friday, November 27th, 2009, 8:00 pm

Tickets for events listed below are available through Ticketmaster and at the door

For the Festival:

$10 per day for adults

$ 5 per day for children 12 and younger

Daily family passes for 4 people are available for $25.00

For the CAMA VIP Gala Dinner & Pre-Awards Show:

$75.00 per person – advance dinner ticket orders only, no tickets sold at door.

For the Music Awards:

$35 in-advance per person

$40 at the door per person

For the Full Festival Package: $125.00 per person

Includes: Thursday CAMA VIP Gala Dinner & Pre-Awards Show; Friday, CAMA Show

& VIP Post Reception; Saturday and Sunday, Festival/Pow Wow

2009 marks the 16th year of the annual Canadian Aboriginal Festival and 11th year of the Canadian Aboriginal Music Awards

Edited by tango