"Ottawa" denies us freedom of speech, assembly

tango

You're right, some of them are. Obama doesn't support SSM or abortion and his greenhouse gas targets are weaker than that of the Canadian government.

Really?

Obama reverses Bush's ban on abortion funding abroad

"I trust women to make these decisions."

He said he would support civil unions between gay and lesbian couples, as well as letting individual states determine if marriage between gay and lesbian couples should be legalized.

Sounds to me that he doesn't let his personal feelings blind him to the rights of others.

Sounds to me that he doesn't let his personal feelings blind him to the rights of others.

Right, but he doesn't personally support the things. I like Obama, but he isn't all that far to the left.

Edited by Smallc

Local Obama fans hit roadblock over Ottawa rally

February 04, 2009

Daniel Nolan

The Hamilton Spectator; With files from Canadian Press

(Feb 4, 2009)

A group of Obama-maniacs is not being deterred by reports it won't be able to stage a rally at Parliament Hill to welcome U.S. President Barack Obama to Canada this month.

They're continuing to seek permission and they may have more incentive to keep going because of a report the president's wife, Michelle Obama, is coming with her husband.

"Everybody seems to believe he is bringing her and she will be visiting the Museum of Civilization," said Ken Sherman of Hamilton, who is vice-chair of the Canadian chapter of Democrats Abroad.

Sherman is trying to organize a welcoming rally for Obama at Parliament Hill for his Feb. 19 visit.

He obtained a permit Monday, but was told yesterday by a woman at the Department of Canadian Heritage it is being nixed because of a request by the RCMP.

He said his group is going to file the permit anyway and ask for a reconsideration. Failing that, it will hold a vigil on the sidewalks in front of Parliament Hill and organize a rally at one of two nearby churches it has already approached. Canada's four federal leaders will be invited to attend and his group is talking about inviting the president.

more ...

http://www.thespec.com/article/506945

I think I see an international incident brewing:

Americans living in Canada are not "allowed" to go to Ottawa to greet their new president? ... hmmm!!!

I think this is going to be a problem for Harper!!

Edited by tango

They can go to Ottawa. It doesn't say that they can't.

But the government isn't allowing any group gatherings on Parliament Hill that day because of security concerns.

from op

and ...

Sherman is trying to organize a welcoming rally for Obama at Parliament Hill for his Feb. 19 visit.

He obtained a permit Monday, but was told yesterday by a woman at the Department of Canadian Heritage it is being nixed because of a request by the RCMP.

Keep in mind ... these are AMERICANS living in Canada.

I think Harper is in hot water on this one!

Security, my a$$!

How many people gathered in the Washington mall for the inauguration?

Harper does not want to be upstaged by Obama's popularity in Canada.

He's a pouting spiteful immature man.

But the government isn't allowing any group gatherings on Parliament Hill that day because of security concerns.

from op

and ...

None of this disputes Smallc's point: nobody is barred from going to Ottawa.

None of this disputes Smallc's point: nobody is barred from going to Ottawa.

I wonder if there is a precedent for banning the public from Parliament Hill.

My understanding is that we pay for it through our taxes and pay Harper's salary too.

Where the #^%$ does he get off telling us we cannot go to the Hill?

It's bizarre, and very offensive!

And it is an attack on our Charter rights.

I wonder if there is a precedent for banning the public from Parliament Hill.

My understanding is that we pay for it through our taxes and pay Harper's salary too.

Where the #^%$ does he get off telling us we cannot go to the Hill?

It's bizarre, and very offensive!

And it is an attack on our Charter rights.

Er, well, the Governor General's bedroom is paid for by public funds, but you can't waltz in there and take a nap whenever you feel like it. You also can't take a walk through the middle of the Changing of the Guard when it is taking place on the main lawn of Parliament Hill. So, there is precedent for not being allowed to go where your tax dollars pay for the upkeep of; the Charter doesn't grant you free access to every square inch of Crown property.

--

Unworthy even for schoolkids to go and observe the 'hallowed halls' of our legislatures, because the kids are appalled by the behaviour they see: bullying and attack. It's all banned from schools. They know it when they see it because they report it at school, and they are appalled that that's how our 'governments' act.

:blink:

-end non-partisan rant- ;)

Right. This is the one thing I'll agree with. I went on the requisite field trip to Toronto's houses of parliament and got to watch a little of a house session...I wish I could remember which MPP I saw sticking his fingers in his ears, shouting "la la la, I'm not listening." Disgraceful.

Right. This is the one thing I'll agree with. I went on the requisite field trip to Toronto's houses of parliament and got to watch a little of a house session...I wish I could remember which MPP I saw sticking his fingers in his ears, shouting "la la la, I'm not listening." Disgraceful.

I wish you could too!

What an image!

:lol:

Maybe we need more school trips, so kids can report on the MP's (and MPP's cos it's no better in provincial legislatures).

I wish you could too!

What an image!

:lol:

Maybe we need more school trips, so kids can report on the MP's (and MPP's cos it's no better in provincial legislatures).

Now wouldn't THAT be an interesting image, eh Tango? A bunch of kids writing progress reports on MPs...you know something, that's not a bad idea at all! Perhaps we should start a petition?