Montreal's most widely read newspaper declares lockout

jdobbin

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...NStory/Business

MONTREAL — Management at Montreal's most widely read newspaper locked out its editorial and office employees Saturday in a dispute over salary, benefits and media convergence.

About 250 employees at Le Journal de Montreal have been without a contract since Dec. 31.

We have seen this happen with a few papers in Canada, most recently the Winnipeg Free Press.

It won't stop the lay-offs from happening.

Couldnt thay have waited until after the All Star game? How will those poor souls get the pictures and latest scuttlebutt on Lacavilier joining the Habs?

OH, they have other papers.....?

I was working part time when the Montreal Star went on strike. By the time they went back to work, months later, they had lost so much circulation they all lost their jobs.

I have to wonder if they think that being the only anglo paper in Montreal they are immune from readership losses...I know that montrealers do have a prejudice against Toronto's National Newspapers....but given enough time they would soon come to know the ultimate superiority of the Front Street product.

I was working part time when the Montreal Star went on strike. By the time they went back to work, months later, they had lost so much circulation they all lost their jobs.

I have to wonder if they think that being the only anglo paper in Montreal they are immune from readership losses...I know that montrealers do have a prejudice against Toronto's National Newspapers....but given enough time they would soon come to know the ultimate superiority of the Front Street product.

What about the Gazette? Aren't they an anglo paper in Montreal?