Missouri mom convicted-online hoax aginst teen neighbour

guyser

POS mom was convicted, not of the worst crimes she was charged with, but three lessor charges.

LOS ANGELES – A Missouri mother on trial in a landmark cyberbullying case was convicted Wednesday of only three minor offenses for her role in a mean-spirited Internet hoax that apparently drove a 13-year-old girl to suicide.

The federal jury could not reach a verdict on the main charge against 49-year-old Lori Drew — conspiracy — and rejected three other felony counts of accessing computers without authorization to inflict emotional harm.

Pics of mom and lovely daughter...

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Los-Angeles-...d7281e4de3518eb

Article

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081126/ap_on_...UiOxZYmYSCs0NUE

(Cant spell "against" No wait, I used my southern drawl, yup, I shore did)

Edited by guyser

Pretty sad ending, I agree. I was hoping this case would set a precedence against this type of behaviour, but I guess the law itself is outdated in the new information age.

Something tells me we haven't seen the last of this case though. Some angry vigilante will end up taking the law in their own hands since the law proved incapable of accomodating a crime such as this.

What a sick, twisted woman.

What a sick, twisted woman.

Yes she is.

Part of me has a problem with charging her with anything. She said some bad words to a kid, yes w full knowledge of the kids fragile demeanor (depression etc) but she did not tell her to kill herself.

In fact it was her 18 yr old asst who said "the world would be better off without you" and got immunity for testifying.

The mother knew the neighbour girl had esteem issues and she is a horrible women for keying on it, but jail for saying something?

I dont know.

Yes she is.

Part of me has a problem with charging her with anything. She said some bad words to a kid, yes w full knowledge of the kids fragile demeanor (depression etc) but she did not tell her to kill herself.

In fact it was her 18 yr old asst who said "the world would be better off without you" and got immunity for testifying.

The mother knew the neighbour girl had esteem issues and she is a horrible women for keying on it, but jail for saying something?

I dont know.

Oh, I didn't follow the story that closely I thought the mother planted the seed of suicide as well by the 'world would be better' statement.

Still, IMO, there should be some type of criminal negligence other than fraud. Involuntary manslaughter would seem to fit the crime...

Edited by BC_chick

Oh, I didn't follow the story that closely I thought the mother planted the seed of suicide as well by the 'world would be better' statement.

She didnt, but she knew the kid well, and took the kid with her on holiday so she was well aware of the esteem issues the child had.

She certainly is guilty of many things, its just I dont know about criminally responsible.

Still, IMO, there should be some type of criminal negligence other than fraud. Involuntary manslaughter would seem to fit the crime...

No no, manslaughter demands she was the one to "pull the trigger" but without intent to kill.

Something I do know is she was ostracized by the entire neighbourhood and I believe she had to move away since no one would be polite to them.