Ethics Commissioner to Investigate Flaherty

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...0422?hub=Canada

The federal ethics watchdog is investigating a sole-source contract Finance Minister Jim Flaherty's office awarded to a well-connected Conservative.

Ethics Commissioner Mary Dawson told Flaherty of the pending investigation in a letter Tuesday.

Flaherty has admitted his office broke government contracting rules in hiring Hugh MacPhie to help write last year's budget speech and provide advice on how to sell the document.

MacPhie, who had written speeches for former Ontario Tory premier Mike Harris, was awarded the $122,000 contract without tender.

Treasury Board rules generally require a bidding process for contracts worth $25,000 or more.

Flaherty was warned by his own people to put the contract up for tender and ignored that advice. Why?

Flaherty was warned by his own people to put the contract up for tender and ignored that advice. Why?

What the hell is this guy thinking?

The Tories are on thin ice in a sort of trial run government and he is pulling this sort of thing. If it turns out to be true of course. He is an experienced politician and knows better.

The media is just waiting to pounce on any and every Tory blunder and everyone knows it. They have to be smarter than this. Incredible.

What the hell is this guy thinking?

The Tories are on thin ice in a sort of trial run government and he is pulling this sort of thing. If it turns out to be true of course. He is an experienced politician and knows better.

The media is just waiting to pounce on any and every Tory blunder and everyone knows it. They have to be smarter than this. Incredible.

The whole CPC think they are privileged. Corruption Party of Canada - Canada's Old Government.

The whole CPC think they are privileged. Corruption Party of Canada - Canada's Old Government.

Uh i think you have you parties muddled. The Liberals are the arrogant ones who grew fat with their 13 years in power. Who said "We are entitled to our entitlements"

Dobbin, how many commissioners, investigaters, tribunals does Ottawa have? Do they accomplish anything?

They didn't stop Adscam and they didn't even investigate it once it was uncovered. They never asked Chretien any questions about hotels. The sole exception might be the Auditor-General except she wouldn't have done anything with Adscam except after the prodding of the BQ in the house and two journalists at the Globe & Mail

As far as I'm concerned, this commissioner/commissar/nomenklatura is just a large scam and many of these commissioners know it. Chretien (and the Liberals) knew how to play the game to keep all these people happy in their sinecure. Harper has ruffled a few feathers and these people are reacting.

In the grand scheme of things, this commissioner's investigation (just like Elections Canada raid) won't affect votes. In a battle bewteen Stephen Harper and Ottawa bureaucrats, the bureaucrats will lose. Just like the Toronto media.

Harper knows how to go over the heads of these people. There is very little sympathy in much of Canada for Ottawa bureaucrats living off the taxpayers dime and playing politics.

Dobbin, how many commissioners, investigaters, tribunals does Ottawa have? Do they accomplish anything?

They didn't stop Adscam and they didn't even investigate it once it was uncovered. They never asked Chretien any questions about hotels. The sole exception might be the Auditor-General except she wouldn't have done anything with Adscam except after the prodding of the BQ in the house and two journalists at the Globe & Mail

As far as I'm concerned, this commissioner/commissar/nomenklatura is just a large scam and many of these commissioners know it. Chretien (and the Liberals) knew how to play the game to keep all these people happy in their sinecure. Harper has ruffled a few feathers and these people are reacting.

In the grand scheme of things, this commissioner's investigation (just like Elections Canada raid) won't affect votes. In a battle bewteen Stephen Harper and Ottawa bureaucrats, the bureaucrats will lose. Just like the Toronto media.

Harper knows how to go over the heads of these people. There is very little sympathy in much of Canada for Ottawa bureaucrats living off the taxpayers dime and playing politics.

Yah they didn't do anything when the Liberals were stealing our money how dare they do something when the Conservatives steal our money!!!

Ohhhh I almost forgot ADSCAM ADSCAM ADSCAM

What do you suggest when tendering rules are broken? Do you want tendering rules eliminated? Do you want it to go straight to the police? What? Don't tell me that you don't like all these things and not have any advice as to what if anything you think is needed in terms of election financing, tendering and the like.

And now he says he might lose this case with Elections Canada.

Yes, we know you are confident of a Harper win in the election but he keeps losing support from women who don't like his style of politics. Take no prisoners!

In any event, everything you say is beside the point. Flaherty knew the rules on tendering and ignored them. You saying the rules are stupid is not a defence of knowingly violating them.

What do you suggest when tendering rules are broken? Do you want tendering rules eliminated? Do you want it to go straight to the police? What? Don't tell me that you don't like all these things and not have any advice as to what if anything you think is needed in terms of election financing, tendering and the like.

And now he says he might lose this case with Elections Canada.

Yes, we know you are confident of a Harper win in the election but he keeps losing support from women who don't like his style of politics. Take no prisoners!

In any event, everything you say is beside the point. Flaherty knew the rules on tendering and ignored them. You saying the rules are stupid is not a defence of knowingly violating them.

Dion is the best leader in the free world and will no doubt ead the Liberals to 4 or 5 consecutive majorities. What was I thinking.

I guess rules don't apply to Conservatives; they don't even seem to try to follow them. When questioned they attack and blame the other guy. Their supporters think what ever they do is ok because the Libs did something before them. What on earth would this government have to do to earn any criticism from the flock?

Because in reality he too is part of the great conspiracy to dethrone the CPC. How shrewd of him to devote years of service waiting for his chance to create yet another issue of dishonesty for the Conservatives.

I could tell. Close inspection of his tinfoil hat shows that it is only a paper hat painted silver.

I guess rules don't apply to Conservatives; they don't even seem to try to follow them. When questioned they attack and blame the other guy. Their supporters think what ever they do is ok because the Libs did something before them. What on earth would this government have to do to earn any criticism from the flock?

Eat Babies.

Put the military in our cities. On our streets, with guns.

Eat Babies.

Put the military in our cities. On our streets, with guns.

So let me get this straight $250+ million is the same as $1 million. Vote Liberal they are "entitled to their entitlements" and "that's not fair".

Edited by Qwerty

Lets deal with this latest transgression Qwerty, if you support what Flaherty has done, support it, back it up with solid argument. Everyone one agrees that what those workers in the LPOC (QC) did was inexcusable, but it can't be the fallback argument for you guys everytime you screw up. Stand on your own and support what your guys are doing, or not.

The CPC is only getting warmed up. Schieber has not gone away either. This is just one thing after another. Give it some time and watch how this all plays out. I will suggest that within the next six months there will be six more scandals to deal with.

The Liberals had their own in and out scheme with the volunteers. Why was this not investigated by the EC?

The Liberals had their own in and out scheme with the volunteers. Why was this not investigated by the EC?

All candidates were audited by Elections Canada. Only the Tories were found to have acted improperly. Even some Tory candidates thought it was improper.

I love how the media and the Liberals are trying to hype this thing against the CPC up so much. Just so they can say... see look, they are as corrupt as we are. Now vote us back in so we can go back to stealing your money...

The CPC overspent their own money!

Can you get that through your heads?

Edited by Qwerty

I love how the media and the Liberals are trying to hype this thing against the CPC up so much. Just so they can say... see look, they are as corrupt as we are. Now vote us back in so we can go back to stealing your money...

You are in violation of the board rules for spamming the same copy and pasted statement. People have been suspended from these forums for doing this.

You are in violation of the board rules for spamming the same copy and pasted statement. People have been suspended from these forums for doing this.

Cry more. So, al one needs to do is switch their proxy and re register, no big deal.

Only if post whoring was all that was needed to become a mod eh dobbin?

Please try to stay on topic jdobbin. I know it's hard with your wanna be mod tendencies but do try.

Just becasue my brilliance has you stumped for an answer don't lash out at me, an innocent forum poster.

Edited by Qwerty