Southern Neighbors

K'sensual Kruella brought this up as she was spoon feeding me Fois Gras (she told me it was spam otherwise ....). Anyhow, I told her of those who are uappreciative of our good fortune to have the US in this world. She made a simple statement that I would like to present to all:

"If they don't like the US and think they are that terrible, who do they think would be a better nieghbor?"

I said that after she poured a couple shots of bourbon into me that I would ask, here I am.

Considering the military protection, economic dynamics, mutual ethological views, religious views, language, culture, racial similarities that we share with the US: would you be happier with another country being there?

Would you prefer to have an Iraq under Saddam next to you? How about a Saudi Arabia, France, China? What would it be like? Would we still maintain a "Unique Canadian Status?" Or would we be facing east five times a day with our Muk Luks hanging aroud our necks and speaking Chinese in a big hurry?

My father suggests that New Zealand would be an ideal neighbour. With no natural enemies and a generally moderate government, who can complain. Not highly industrialized (where the sheep outnumber the humans by about 25 to 1), they still maintain western, democratic beliefs.

Ireland would be similar. Both these countries have similar views on many political issues, and both can maintain impartiality on most issues, in the way Canada used to be able to.

Our ideal neighbours, to my thinking, would have similar worldviews; capabilities that complement our own (in terms of trade, defence, etc); and would respect our decisions, even if they don't agree. Any nations come to mind?

• 2 weeks later...