Iraqi Election Candidates

KrustyKidd

Once free elections are held, which cnaditate will they be most likely to vote for?  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Dear KK,

History would show that an Islamic radical would be most likely.

I wonder what would happen if an 'anti-american' wins. Hostages at the US embassy? A deal struck for the hostages to include arms money for a third world dictator whose interests coincide with the US this week?

Of course, this only makes the papers once in a while, so we may never know.

That's funny!

I wouldn't be too sure about the Islamic Radical though. History would dictate that but remember, in the ME the Church is government. Hence it is organised and would be the largest collective organisation that is mobilised. Also, remember that nobody ever votes and if they do it is fixed. Here, we won't have a vote until all candidates have campaigned, polls and ballots have ben set up. Something that is not too important in most ME elections. A strong religious leader in Basra will not sway the voters on the other side of town with threats this time. People can chant all they want in public and yet vote their true will inprivate. Most of the time its an enthusiasm that carries the vote. Here it iwill be an educated and counted vote.

Dear KK,

Campaigning can be 'fixed' too. Especially when fear is a primary motivator. Something the 'church' depends heavily on, no matter what 'religion'.

If 4 out of 7 vote 'according to their conscience' and it is judged to be wrong by the 'church' then they could reasonably fear that 4 out of 7 will be 'punished' regardless of how they voted.

To give a horrible yet cheeky credence to this fact, I read a t-shirt somewhere that read "Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead".

Of course it is like that. Liberals prey on fear of the radical right same as Conservatives amplify Liberalism to parody status. What I am talking about is the church in the ME is like a Nazi party complete with structure and a common philisophical and day to day social network. That is a ready made constituency even in time of Chaos.

For that reason it is Chaos that is it;s best friend. It is not a bunch of Conservatives who live in different parts of the country who only come together every four years but a network complete with a ruling class and mid level foremen. The population has to be educated on what an election means and how they do not have to be influenced by an organisation that traditionally ruled them either publicly or privately.

Dear KK,

The population has to be educated on what an election means and how they do not have to be influenced by an organisation that traditionally ruled them either publicly or privately.
Here you have said it all, but how does one reach the 'population' without adhering to the 'laws of profit' that govern the media? Under the current system, it cannot be done. the only way to the 'hearts and minds' of the populace would be if they chose to look elsewhere for their 'truth'. Hence the term 'Messiah'.

Although, everyone knows it takes a man longer to come 'the second time'.

the only way to the 'hearts and minds' of the populace would be if they chose to look elsewhere for their 'truth'.

Are you kidding? There are more papers than AK 47s! That's not the problem. The problem seems to be distribution and getting them to work together to form Iraq as a country so they can start period.

IRAQI NEWSPAPERS

New media explosion

More than 100 Iraqi newspapers have sprung up since the fall of the Saddam Hussein regime, when the press consisted of propaganda strictly controlled by the government. "Under Saddam, the papers were all lies," says one Iraqi student.

Today, all around Baghdad, newspaper vendors peddle a variety of colorful Arabic-language publications that cover everything from electricity shortages and crime to salaries.

While they expose the horrors of the previous regime, including the discovery of mass graves, they also criticize the American-led administration in Iraq.

But despite the sudden surge in the number of media outlets, some observers say the coalition authorities need to do more to reach average Iraqis.

The communication gap is also felt in the new US-appointed Iraqi political council.

"The problem is that in the face of hostile media outlets, you don't have national information systems for either the coalition or the governing council, so our message is lost," says Hoshyar Zebari, political adviser to Masoud Barzani, leader of the Kurdistan Democratic Party and one of the 25 council members.

Dear KK,

I cannot fathom the fact that you would bring to light the Kurdish plight as an anti-Iraqi(Saddam) issue and not regard the fact that the US has , as of yet, refused to acknowledge them as a people. You, yourself, called me to account about how 'it was all the US could do to keep Turkey out of the conflict' with regards to the Kurds, and yet you don't defend them now!

"The problem is that in the face of hostile media outlets, you don't have national information systems for either the coalition or the governing council, so our message is lost," says Hoshyar Zebari, political adviser to Masoud Barzani, leader of the Kurdistan Democratic Party and one of the 25 council members.

"Yes the message is lost" says Krusty Kid, poster of the previous message and member of Mapleleaf Forums.  Acknowleging that the months old media of Iraq has yet to find enough camels to do the job he does say that Religious  Leaders also find this a problem.  "It seems that Lonius didn't get the fact that there is a problem getting the message out to EVERYBODY!"  he said late Wednesday night.

Lonius, I agreed with you. There is a problem getting the news out. However, rather than doing it like you would have by word of prayer, the Iraqis are using an old trick called the printing press. The system is new here as before it was run by yhe 'I Love Saddam' Club but what I was trying to point out was that there is this means. As well Iraqis are quite enthusiastic about it but it has it's glitches and will be worked out. Water seeks it's own level and money finds it's way into the pocket of the smartest and most ingenious. The messages will get out without the twist of Islam.

Dear KK,

My point was that your quote was from the Kurds. The US, Iraq and Turkey all are against the notion of Kurdish independence. The 'money' won't find it's way into Kurdish pockets, no matter how smart or ingenious.

The messages will get out without the twist of Islam.
To this I must diagree. Islam and it's fervor override whatever the west might try to do. To renounce part of the Koran would be to renounce it all.

You read something into this quote that I did not then Lonius. I take it to read that one of the members of the council ruling Iraq says that there is no country wide news media. The fact that he is Kurdish is not even applicable here. His comment was given from the position of one of Iraq's ruling council, not leader of the Kurdistan Party.

As for the reason why the message will get out without the overpowering rhetoric of Islam is the no election is going to happen until everybody knows what ieach candidate stands for. Islam and it's leaders can talk all they want but the public will be educated on all aspects of the election and security will be in place to thwart strong arming before any election occurs. If you think the US is going to give Iraq away as well as throw away all efforts and sacrifices they have made so far because they have no vehicles to distribute newspapers then you are wrong.

Dear KK,

Islam and it's leaders can talk all they want but the public will be educated on all aspects of the election and security will be in place to thwart strong arming before any election occurs.
But the people are Islamic. The Koran often gets memorized by age 7. I don't see how 'democracy' will replace the Muslim majority rgarding the rules one has to live by. I have read most of the Koran, and it tries to cover every aspect of life. From inheritance laws to food allotment.

The US has made some terrible blunders here. From declaring 'hostilities over' without securing the zone, to trying to cement longevity in the country by awarding itself all the oil and construction contracts.

Forget Vietnam, the US has another Afghanistan on their hands.

Forget Vietnam, the US has another Afghanistan on their hands.

LOL Good one! Origional too.

But the people are Islamic.  I don't see how 'democracy' will replace the Muslim majority rgarding the rules one has to live by.

That is the point, it will. Otherwise this is a failure. Your concern is completely valid and this is the reason why this whole war was thought of and fought. If Islam takes over then the US may as well have stayed home. They figured that they could force a democracy in the heart of the ME. If sucessful then there will be a thriving Arab Democracy, if unsucessful then there will be another Islamic shithole complete with starving people, secret police snatching citizens off the streets and a recruiting center for terrorists to attack the West and anybody else they take a disliking for on any particular day.

It's an all or nothing deal. When Bush declared Major Combat over I figured it was quite obvious what he meant,; Major Combat. To me that means the official government has been taken out. You take it to mean that everything was perfect? Define the difference between major and minor combat Lonius. I hope it matches somewhat with mine. I figure that minor combat is when you have a lot of soldiers on the ground not doing half as much fighting as they did when they were in major combat. Hardly scientific but one hundred and fifty thousand well equipped soldiers can do a lot of killing in major combat. The same number when in minor or police action duries don't do nearly as much. They never declared "hostilities over."

Dear KK,

If Islam takes over then the US may as well have stayed home. They figured that they could force a democracy in the heart of the ME. If sucessful then there will be a thriving Arab Democracy,
It could only work if the majority were not Muslims. They may be able to keep out Sharia'a Law, though. The only Muslim 'democracy' is in Pakistan, which is ruled defacto by the military. The Phillipines might have to be next, even before Iran if the present course continues there.

The only Muslim 'democracy' is in Pakistan, which is ruled defacto by the military.

Let's see one made out of choice rather than desparation.

You notice of course the Clerics demanding the US hold elections now? Reason being is they know they would be victorious because nobody is prepared at this moment. Once educated and polls set up it will be a different story. It should be interesting to see and you and I will not be the only ones watching. More intent observers will be the Rulers of the ME.