Pure Rep By Pop

Allocating Parliamentary Seats  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't see why Ontario has to lie back and think of Canada in this. If 400 seats makes it equitable, do it.
That option is not really on the table. McGinty is demanded 10 more seats which screws all the numbers up and will be rejected by the other provinces. The only likely outcome is we remain stuck with the status quo. Which, IMO, is worse than the proposal as it stands. Edited by Riverwind

That option is not really on the table. McGinty is demand 10 more seats which screws all the numbers up. The only likely outcome is we remain stuck with the status quo. Which, IMO, is worse than the proposal as it stands.

You may think so but giving Conservatives extra seats in the west while telling Ontario to lie back and take one for Canada is a bad deal. It should be rejected.

FYI - It appears McGinty is claiming that the new formula will get for Ontario worse over time.

It is not clear to me whether the new formula prevents provinces from ever losing seats - I had assumed that they can't go below the current floor but they could go up and then down in the future. If the minimum seat levels rise over time then my calculations are wrong and we would never achieve true rep by pop if Ontario continues to grow faster than other provinces.

FYI - It appears McGinty is claiming that the new formula will get for Ontario worse over time.

It is not clear to me whether the new formula prevents provinces from ever losing seats - I had assumed that they can't go below the current floor but they could go up and then down in the future. If the minimum seat levels rise over time then my calculations are wrong and we would never achieve true rep by pop if Ontario continues to grow faster than other provinces.

I listened to the same discussion on CJOB today where they talked with a few people who have been going over the number who have no stake in outcome politically. They talked about the minimum seat levels rising as well. The legislation is not clear and Ontario would do far worse under the system if that is the case. It is why the Liberals and now the NDP have said they are opposed.