Toronto - Out of Money Again

Maybe torontonians are sick of providing the capital that runs this country....well not all of it but a major share and not seeing any return?

I hope they are. Maybe they can work with us out here that give even more and see even less. Kick off the freeloaders. Ontario and Alberta/BC would do quite well without the rest of the lineup at the gravytrain.

Maybe TO'ins are sick of having to provide services to the extent no other city has to provide? You dont see many homeless in Parry Sound or Sudbury or from other provinces as they move to this city for sustenance?

Actually, Calgary/Edmonton have as high per capita homeless rates, and Vancouver kicks Toronto's butt in that category.

Everything shipped by truck goes thru TO , and the 401 is the premier route.

Now that is a real deal center of the universe viewpoint. Everything shipped by truck goes down the 401? Nah. Remember the majority of our imports come through Vancouver. I'm willing to wager that most of the goods I use in Calgary have never seen the 401.

It may have been a bit over the top , but kudos went to that mayor for getting this city moving and keeping the province running.

Like I showed earlier, you guys have 160% the tax rate of Calgarians. Where the hell is the money going? You can't possibly have THAT much more services, and if you do, then it should be easy to cut.

I didn't find any city services any cheaper or more efficient in Toronto than Calgary when I was there last week. The subway is nicer than the LRT. I'll give you that.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

name='guyser' date='Aug 23 2007, 06:40 PM' post='245625']

Maybe torontonians are sick of providing the capital that runs this country....well not all of it but a major share and not seeing any return?

Well we are sick of them thinking they do. For people who think they are the center of the universe they're not very smart if they get no return on investments. Just what are these investments.

Maybe TO'ins are sick of having to provide services to the extent no other city has to provide? You dont see many homeless
in Parry Sound or Sudbury or from other provinces as they move to this city for sustenance?

That's their problem. Alberta had a similar problem a few years ago. Ralph cut em off and gave them a one way bus ticket outa here.

And then to show you really do not understand you bring up the old reliable "call in the army" as arranged by good old Mel. ( As an aside, the army is always called in for disasters , minor and major, natural and man made-floods, earthquakes etc)

When you have a major snowstorm and 5+ million people (almost twice your whole province) trying to get to work or conduct business things can get hectic.There was nowhere to put that snow, and I mean nowhere. It also will stall our economy and trade. Toronto's streets are not wide like elsewhere , Montreal, Calgary, Winnipeg and those are small cities in comparison.

Around here we don't consider a snow storm a disaster. We call it winter. There are different ways to handle snow. When they get a big snow in Edmonton they'll put three or four graders behind one another and windrow it up and come along behind with a big snow blower and blow it into the back of dump trucks and haul it away. People have to get to work here also. Many have four wheel drives. Or some people will throw a set of chains on.

We who live in the city understand the amusement when the ROC looks out the front window and sees nothing but land and snow and wonders why they can't just shovel it themselves. But then we forget that the "locals" in those areas aren't bright enough to see the whole picture. Obviously you were one of them .

Nah, people here don't shovel, they have blowers or plows.

The 401 highway gets shut down from time to time due to truck rollovers et al, and the business losses are in the millions , and thats for mere hours of downtime. Now magnify that by days and the ROC will be bitching about increased costs.

Everything shipped by truck goes thru TO , and the 401 is the premier route.

It may have been a bit over the top , but kudos went to that mayor for getting this city moving and keeping the province running.

We have truck roll overs to, but we also have other roads. Most of our trade is with the US and those trucks never go anywhere near TO. There is some stuff that comes out of the east. But it's not the case that those goods are on such a tight schedule. Anyone who orders or ships that way is a fool.

With all due respect, I think you failed to grasp the contents of my post.

name='guyser' date='Aug 23 2007, 06:40 PM' post='245625']

Well we are sick of them thinking they do. For people who think they are the center of the universe they're not very smart if they get no return on investments. Just what are these investments.

They are called taxes. We pay far more than we get , unlike plenty of places in this country

Around here we don't consider a snow storm a disaster. We call it winter. There are different ways to handle snow. When they get a big snow in Edmonton they'll put three or four graders behind one another and windrow it up and come along behind with a big snow blower and blow it into the back of dump trucks and haul it away. People have to get to work here also. Many have four wheel drives. Or some people will throw a set of chains on.

Around here we dont consider a snowstorm a disaster either. No one said it was. You dont really know Toronto nor the streets do you? What you propose cannot be done with the exception of the highways.

As for chains, great idea , but I dont want to pay the hefty fine, they are illegal in Ontario.

We have truck roll overs to, but we also have other roads. Most of our trade is with the US and those trucks never go anywhere near TO. There is some stuff that comes out of the east. But it's not the case that those goods are on such a tight schedule. Anyone who orders or ships that way is a fool.

I suppose JIT is an unknown concept to you?

$300Billion in trade with the US and 30% of it goies thru Windsor Detroit. Thats about 3.5 million trucks a year, or about 10,000 a day. It is called the worlds busiest international border crossing for a reason.

32,000 vehicles an hour cross the 401 highway.It is called the worlds busiest highway.

The point is , with 32,000 cars an hour, and 10,000 trucks a day (actually more but not all go to the border) it should be easy for one to see the mess that stopping virtually all traffic would cause.

Ok so yes, a bit of hyperbole on my part about all shipping thru TO but the fact remains that trucking is a major component of this part of the country.

Hwy #2 connects Edmonton and Calgary. That highway gets about 9million vehicles on it yearly.Hwy#401 surpasses that by mid January if you start counting on Jan1st.