14 Chinese workers complaint against ex-boss in Montreal

14 file racism complaint against ex-boss

Fourteen Chinese people in Montreal have filed a human rights complaint against their former employer, claiming he told them, "You Chinese eat like pigs."

The former employees of Calego International Inc. met with Quebec Human Rights Commission investigators Tuesday afternoon.

They claim company president Stephen Rapps called a meeting of just the Chinese workers at the plant on July 12. They said he was angry because kitchens and washrooms in the plant were messy.

The workers said Rapps told them they were no longer in China, and that they should be cleaner.

"And after [that] he shouted, 'You Chinese eat like pigs,' " said Yong Mei Son, one of the workers.

Yong and the other workers were so upset they quit their jobs at the warehouse immediately.

Rapps has admitted he was angry, but he denied making any racial remarks.

"I never made a derogatory statement. I never said, 'You Chinese.' I never said any of that," Rapps said.

Tuesday, the workers added new complaints, including one of physical assault. One worker claims his supervisor grabbed him and pushed him.

The workers are seeking $10,000 each in damages. They also want a written apology from Rapps.

The commission will decide Monday whether it will try mediation or start a full inquiry.

The executive director of the Centre for Research-Action on Race Relations, Fo Niemi, said Tuesday this is an important case.

"Whenever people who are traditionally or historically very quiet in terms of making a public claim of grievance of any kind, when they decide to do so I think they should be supported, especially because of the fact that Canada is a very privileged trading partner with China, especially in the area of manufacturing and textiles," Niemi said.

"So, we think this is a very important lesson."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/20...l-complait.html

Guest Warwick Green

14 file racism complaint against ex-boss

Fourteen Chinese people in Montreal have filed a human rights complaint against their former employer, claiming he told them, "You Chinese eat like pigs."

The former employees of Calego International Inc. met with Quebec Human Rights Commission investigators Tuesday afternoon.

They claim company president Stephen Rapps called a meeting of just the Chinese workers at the plant on July 12. They said he was angry because kitchens and washrooms in the plant were messy.

The workers said Rapps told them they were no longer in China, and that they should be cleaner.

"And after [that] he shouted, 'You Chinese eat like pigs,' " said Yong Mei Son, one of the workers.

Yong and the other workers were so upset they quit their jobs at the warehouse immediately.

Rapps has admitted he was angry, but he denied making any racial remarks.

"I never made a derogatory statement. I never said, 'You Chinese.' I never said any of that," Rapps said.

Tuesday, the workers added new complaints, including one of physical assault. One worker claims his supervisor grabbed him and pushed him.

The workers are seeking $10,000 each in damages. They also want a written apology from Rapps.

The commission will decide Monday whether it will try mediation or start a full inquiry.

The executive director of the Centre for Research-Action on Race Relations, Fo Niemi, said Tuesday this is an important case.

"Whenever people who are traditionally or historically very quiet in terms of making a public claim of grievance of any kind, when they decide to do so I think they should be supported, especially because of the fact that Canada is a very privileged trading partner with China, especially in the area of manufacturing and textiles," Niemi said.

"So, we think this is a very important lesson."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/20...l-complait.html

This story is at least three weeks old. I see that the link is the CBC - oh, well.