Canada's GDP Down

http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/.../07/31/gdp.html

The worst time to call an election is when the economy might tank. We are are seeing some indication in the U.S. that the bottom has fallen out of the housing market. That isn't the case yet in Canada but May was terrible for GDP growth.

Will the Conservatives try a major tax cut before the election to stimulate the economy and win a majority? Is a GST cut the best way to do that?

The worst time to call an election is when the economy might tank. WE are seeing some indicatoon in the U.S. that the bottom has fallen out of the housing market. That isn't the case yet in Canada but May was terrible for GDP growth.

Will the Conservatives try a major tax cut before the election to stimulate the economy and win a majority? Is a GST cut the best way to do that?

If the US does bad we will do bad. There's no way around that. That's factual. Harper can't do anything to help our situation except to halt immigration immediatly. We already have enough qualified immigrants and Canadians that can't find work. With less jobs (aka falling economy), letting in more labor when it's not needed will destroy us.

(Of course, we haven't needed the additional labour since the 80's).

If the US does bad we will do bad. There's no way around that. That's factual. Harper can't do anything to help our situation except to halt immigration immediatly. We already have enough qualified immigrants and Canadians that can't find work. With less jobs (aka falling economy), letting in more labor when it's not needed will destroy us.

(Of course, we haven't needed the additional labour since the 80's).

I agree that if the U.S. does poorly, Canada will do not as well.

There is a little more than two years left with Bush in office. If he is more or less a lameduck after the elections in the fall, he might not be able to anything to stop the economy from going through a down cycle.

If the US and Canada are both doing bad, then Alberta is doing well!! Go oil economy go! Our GDP is still skyrocketing here, come join in on the party. There's still time before the ship sinks out East.

I didn't say bad yet. I said that there are signs the economy is slowing.

And Alberta probably needs a breather too. It is at the point that certain companies are now thinking about moving employees *out* of Alberta because they have no place to house them after they are recruited. I think the Calgary Herald and the Calgary Sun have had some articles on the difficukty in finding houses.

And when speculators havea go at things, it often leads to a bubble that hurts ordinary people along the way. I mean, how can house keep going up tens of thousands every six months without things imploding? Calgary knows better because this has happened to them before.

If the US and Canada are both doing bad, then Alberta is doing well!! Go oil economy go! Our GDP is still skyrocketing here, come join in on the party. There's still time before the ship sinks out East.

Not being able to afford never mind find a place to live doesn't sound like a 'party' to me.

"Hey guys anyone want to go sofa surfing :P "

Get a grip. Enjoy economic prosperity don't throw it in peoples faces. Doing so only breeds divisiveness and resentment. Grow up and stop acting like a child.

Go have fun live life.

The worst time to call an election is when the economy might tank. We are are seeing some indication in the U.S. that the bottom has fallen out of the housing market. That isn't the case yet in Canada but May was terrible for GDP growth.

a little tough to blame a tanking economy on a party that's been in power for little more than 6 months.

a little tough to blame a tanking economy on a party that's been in power for little more than 6 months.

Who is blaming the Conservatives? I've pointed out that they are in power and they've got some decisions to make on what to do now. Moreover, they have an election coming sooner than later. They promised another 1% cut in the GST.

The question is: Is that the best way to stimulate the economy if we are indeed going into a dip?

Who is blaming the Conservatives? I've pointed out that they are in power and they've got some decisions to make on what to do now. Moreover, they have an election coming sooner than later. They promised another 1% cut in the GST.

The question is: Is that the best way to stimulate the economy if we are indeed going into a dip?

YOu didn't, but I thought I'd get a head start for the people who are going to...

The best way to stimulate the economy is to raise the personal tax exemption, in my opinion.

YOu didn't, but I thought I'd get a head start for the people who are going to...

The best way to stimulate the economy is to raise the personal tax exemption, in my opinion.

The Conservatives reversed that cut that the Liberals made in favour of the GST cut.

I agree that exemptions and income tax cuts are more effective though.

No one likes the GST but too many companies and governments kept the GST to themselves rather than pass it on to the consumer.